DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Twelve by twelve should cover you and then some. Your ridgeline length on a 10' 6" hammock is going to be in the 8' 9" range. A 12' tarp would give you about a foot and an half clearance on either end of the hammock. As far as the width, I have the Hennessy Hex (twelve long by ten wide), and it's more than spacious.

Since you seem to be fairly handy with a sewing machine, have you considered doing a DIY tarp? A simple rectangle or square doesn't require tricky cutting, and there are several sources here on the board to consult for tarp basics. DIY Gear Supply has 1.1 sil as low as $5.50 a linear yard. Note that this stuff may have cosmetic imperfections in it. That being said, it's hard to beat the price.

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles
    I don't think this is the situation but just in case you care more about weight than just being enamored with comfort like the rest of us, ultimately hammocking is not the lightest way to roll. And it won't be lighter than a good tent set up ,that I assume you already own, without spending a good amount of cash. In the end especially if you wanna hang when its cold a hammock set up will be slightly heavyer than a ground set up. Now that being said I am not a grahm weenie and I would gladly bear the minimal addition of weight in exchange for the maximum addition of comfort and fun that a hammoc brings

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles
    That caviat aside. Go with the grand trunk you'll have fun and later on if you want to upgrade your hammock you'll have one for the wife or the kid. Put a pad in it put up the poly tarp you already have in a big rectangle and GO. You will upgrade all of your stuff but seeing as how you are a family man you won't upgrade it all at once. Going out and getting in the tree will let you know what you want to focus on first. If you are determined to have a bit nicer set up from the get go shell out for one of those complete setups from Hennesy. It can be crippling trying to figgure it all out at once from this forum. I also reccomend that you get Derek's book Ultimate Hang. It will help you out allot.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Since you seem to be fairly handy with a sewing machine, have you considered doing a DIY tarp? A simple rectangle or square doesn't require tricky cutting, and there are several sources here on the board to consult for tarp basics. DIY Gear Supply has 1.1 sil as low as $5.50 a linear yard. Note that this stuff may have cosmetic imperfections in it. That being said, it's hard to beat the price.
    I have thought about making one but I am not sure i have the time before my next outing. My DIY plans right now are on a bug net so I figured I would buy a tarp. My poly tarp works but it doesn't give me the best coverage I think. I might have to look around for a 16x16 guide gear so I can get a 12x12

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles
    http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net...SE-BO-3-GOOGLE

Guide gear 12x12 twenty dollars. Just picked one up my self. You'll have to either do some sewing on it or get some grip clips from JRB, because there are no tieouts on the center edges of the tarp. Bur for that price you can't go wrong. I was going to get a big expensive sil nylon tarp for winter/weather coverage and then maybe one day get a lighter more portable hex tarp, but now I don't have to I eat it in weight a bit for the guide gear but it gets me out there and I have cash left over for my lighter duty tarp that I will probably want to use more often any ways. Unbelievable price a winter sized tarp for less than my nylon asym. Sorry geeking out.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    still eyeballing the guide gear. The whole debacle over sizes and the non taped seams has me a little leery. It would be about 40 bucks with shipping to get the 16x16 which is really the 12x12 lol. The chinook 12x9.6 is about the same price shipped as well. I hear it has grommets though, is that still the case? So for 40 bucks those are the options. For 60 bucks is the BCUSA 10x10. Bit smaller but a nice tarp. not sure if I could do doors though like I was wanting. Any other cheaper tarps suggestions?

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles
    What is this whole thing about getting a 16x16 gear guide so that you can have a 12x12? What debacle? Because of the non taped seams? I'm assuming that you will seam seal the guide gear. How does non tapped seams transform a 16x16 into a 12x12? I'm confused.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanvalentinus View Post
    What is this whole thing about getting a 16x16 gear guide so that you can have a 12x12? What debacle? Because of the non taped seams? I'm assuming that you will seam seal the guide gear. How does non tapped seams transform a 16x16 into a 12x12? I'm confused.
    The sizes were misrepresented. The 16x16 is actually 11x11 with a 16 on the diamond. The 12x12 is actually 8.4x8.4 being 12 on the diamond. Big thread here on it http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...uide+gear+tarp Getting had by the measurements start a midway through.

The sizes are now noted on their site (too a lot of us complaining to get that done)...but the seams are not taped or seam sealed, so they've not corrected that part of the description as of yet.

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles
    Oh I did not know that. I just bought an 8x8 tarp? I'm pissed.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanvalentinus View Post
    Oh I did not know that. I just bought an 8x8 tarp? I'm pissed.
    Sorry, but yes, it is 8.4x8.4 12 on the diamond. Actual measurements are listed in the description now (not in red anymore, but it's there), and some of the reviews state it too.

If you've just ordered, call them before they ship it out and have them upgrade you to the 16x16....which will actually be 11x11 (these are also not cat cut or seam sealed so you'll have to seam seal it and reinforce the tie outs). They're not anything like the original quality of the Guide Gear tarps. Good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast