Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quite a bit to think about. I certainly like the idea of the tarp with doors. I have a cheap 11x13 poly tarp now that I can use. I think it weighs 2 pounds but with a hammock and suspension it is still going to drop 2 pounds of my shelter weight. With spring coming on I won't have to worry too much about insulation yet. I am worried about the nano being narrow as I start to look at the specs compared to the double nest. Although the double nest is 50 bucks and I could probably DIY for less than that lol. Too many **** decisions. Either way I think on the commercial side it is between those two. Having never slept in a hammock before I am not sure about the diagonal lay. I usually sleep on my back, although I am sure my wife would say differently.

I will have to swing by Walmart again and see if I can't find some ripstop nylon. I know I can get it at Joann's but I think it is like 6 bucks a yard. For DIY fabric I am looking for 1.7 or 1.9 correct? Or is that too heavy?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Warbonnet has a handy-dandy guide for occupant weight vs. comfort vs. fabric weight located here.

Honestly, one of the better ways to decide on a hammock is to go to a local hang and get a good look at everyone else's set ups. Most everybody will be willing to let you give their stuff a test-ride. Check out the Trip Planning forum here to see if one's in your area. With spring coming up for most of the nation, there should be one soon!

As far as the diagonal lay, it definitely helps with a flat sleep if you're a back sleeper (I am). My two issues (and this is only personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt) with hammocks are shoulder squeeze (I'm 6' and range in the 185 to 200 pound area depending on my workout schedule that month) and knee hyper extension. The shoulder squeeze is helped, for me, by having a hammock that is wide and long enough, while hanging it at a fairly loose angle. The knee hyper extension issue is helped by putting something underneath my knees (during the winter, this is my daytime clothing in a stuff sack; during the summer, I carry a small travel pillow) and hanging the foot end a little (four to eight inches) higher than the head end.

Your mileage may vary, though.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    FLRider thanks for the info. Nice to know what things to look out for. Never slept in a hammock but I hear they are great. I am sure a few folks around here think that. I will either make one if I can find some cheap fabric or get that doublenest. Still have a few weeks of cold weather at least, so I have some time to get a kit together.

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Welcome from West Tn. It sounds like you've done your homework. You'll get hooked on Hammock Forums if you don't watch it.

Happy Hangin'
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    A Treklight double is large and folds into its own pouch...quite small. You would need a separate bug net.

I paid $50 for mine ab 4 years ago. Check their website (lots of color options); here's one on ebay:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1808241...Types&var=sbar

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well I was at walmart and got some fabric. $5.25 in total, so if it doesn't work out no big loss. I was going to run by the marine store and get some amsteel blue for whoopies, I hear they are all the rage How much length do I need?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I managed to get 2 nights in on my DIY hammock. Worked great, you guys suck I used an 11x9 poly tarp from Harbor Freight. Worked fine even with rain both nights. I was warm with my pad and sleeping bag. Temps got down to 47 the first night and 52 the second. I am certainly hooked. I used DIY harbor Freight tree straps and whoopie slings. Thanks for all the info, it worked out great. Even the floppy sides did not bother me.

BUT, there is always a but, I would like to change the tarp out. I ran in a diamond config, although a little skewed but the rectangleness. I would like to get a tarp that I can set up A frame style but also be able to close the doors if the wind gets bad or in the winter. My hammock is 10.5 feet long I guess, that is how much fabric I got. So would a 12x12 be long enough or would I need to do a larger rectangle? After the latest debacle with the Guide Gear tarps I was looking at the Chinook ones that are 12x9.6. Wondering if I would be better off with the 12x12 or even a 14x12, although that might be too heavy. So I need some advice here.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    How about something like a Wilderness Logics Old Man Winter tarp?

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    Try this site out !http://www.buttinasling.com/gear these are awesome hammocks at a great price!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That tarp looks great but it is quite a bit out of my budget. I had looked at the guide gear and Chinooks because they were a bit cheaper and would be lighter and better sized than my cheap poly tarp. I can probably budget about 50-60 at most depending on the quality of the tarp. I am guessing it needs to be rectangle to do the doors so that will eliminate the kelty noahs correct?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast