Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Tango View Post
    Nice report. I have also "tested" my equipment the same way (my wife rolled her eyes too). It's amazing how much a 10* difference can make in your sleep system. Throw the tarp into the mix and it can change things even more. Keep Experimenting for "safety reasons of course

Btw, I have the same type of alarm, very reliable.
    Yes, the traffic alarm seems to get me up and moving early every time.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That is really interesting! So you overheated enough to get cold from soaking some insulation with sweat? But then removed the soaked clothing and got back to toasty warm with the remaining insulation?

It's good that you woke up before the sweat got out into the other layers of insulation to soak them also. I guess you have proved - not that it needed proving- the importance of keeping insulation protected not only from rain, but also from condensation or sweat.

And sounds like you have proved your system more than warm enough for freezing temps!
    A layer of clothing damp and clamy against the body can quickly become either dry or frozen stiff on the ridgeline. I found that out for myself as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Can't Wait View Post
    My wife thinks I am nut in general lol, I have done it and will hang again
    I think my wife is convinced that I'm generally nuts all the time. Her response to snow is to build a fire and stay inside, meanwhile I head out to the hammock. Guess who got a better night's sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Rust View Post
    Glad to hear that everything worked out 'safely'--wouldn't want your wife to be too worried. Glad, too, that you lucked into such good testing conditions. Thanks for the report.
    Thanks for reading, yeah we don't get temps these low nor the white stuff too often around here. Was great to get outside in it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    Great report. Really nice to hang in cold weather, isn't it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Blaze
    Yeah the cold weather has it's own conditions and gear requirement that I don't get to do much of. Has been amazing to get out in it recently.

Quote Originally Posted by kgbenson View Post
    Inclement weather creates an urge to have french toast in humans, well known phenomenon.

Keith
    That explains it. I usually head to the beer isle since all the other stuff is taken first.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    My husband thinks I'm nuts to, I sleep out in the hammock almost every weekend. Testing different combinations of gear. I want to be prepared when I finally get to hiking some distances.
    Not to mention being prepared for the zombie apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by XexorZ View Post
    Great report - I haven't hung in a long while and this made me really miss it.

re: Sweating / waking up cold - this is really interesting! I have several theories about what happened here but I don't think it likely has much to do with actually sweating through enough insulation to get cold. I find it more likely to be that when you went to sleep (after eating perhaps?) your metabolism was high enough to make you sweat. If your head was inside your pod this would increase the effect a lot. You then slept for a while and relaxed (hammocks do that to me, too!) which made your metabolism slow a bunch which made you cool off. Now you woke up cold and wet. You dried off (brrrrr) and climbed back into your system (which looks really good btw!) and warmed up and nodded back off.

The part that kills me (and that I fight with) is how our metabolism slows when we sleep... Which is why I can hike into a spot with shorts and a tee on but then freeze in similar temps while sleeping unless I have a bunch more insulation. Wish there was a way to mitigate this.

Just a theory! Thanks much for sharing.

p.s. my Wife has rolley-eyes too when it comes to 9/10 of what I say. I consider it an expression of endearment
    It is quite possible that I over boosted my metabolism before I climbed in for slumber. I'll have to monitor that closely next time. But I had identical setups for two nights with a 10 degree temperature difference and the warmer (relatively of course) of the two nights I sweated. Could mean that I just needed a little less insulation at 30F than I do at 20F.

Quote Originally Posted by Buenos View Post
    good report. Oh, and welcome to the club!
    Thanks for reading.

And as an addendum to my report I left my gear up to air/thaw/dry out and my daughter having fun in the little bit of snow left this morning found her way into the hammock.

At least there is one woman who enjoys the hammock as much as I do.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Atta Boy and a Whooooo Buddy to ye'......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images

Body metabolisim

"It is quite possible that I over boosted my metabolism before I climbed in for slumber. I'll have to monitor that closely next time."

I have to agree with that. I've had more than once where I ate to much to soon before climbing into the hammock for the night and then waking up over heated and sweating. Guess it's the bod's digest system kicking in creating a sudden surge of heat not to mention the urge to run the quarter mile while wrapped in a snuugly warm taco.

"p.s. my Wife has rolley-eyes too when it comes to 9/10 of what I say. I consider it an expression of endearment "

Ditto that

Images
    Excellent report and picts thanks for sharing them.

Love your 12x12 tarp configured that way.
    Did you have to do any modding(additional tie outs, etc) to it for winter mod?

Hammock
    HH, Explorer Deluxe 2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubater
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    My wife stays outside 2 or 3 nights a week. She has a leg injury and the hammock is just more comfortable for her to sleep in. Im sure the neighbors find it very interesting when she stumbles through the yard in the mourning coming back in.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Atta Boy and a Whooooo Buddy to ye'......
    Shug
    Thanks for checking it out. When ever my wife starts to think I've completely lost it I just show your videos, maybe one day she'll sit through them while I'm laughing like a hyena on nitrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Newzy View Post
    ...my Wife has rolley-eyes too when it comes to 9/10 of what I say. I consider it an expression of endearment "

Ditto that
    Sometimes I wonder if my wife has an eye condition they seem to keep rolling all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Excellent report and picts thanks for sharing them.

Love your 12x12 tarp configured that way.
    Did you have to do any modding(additional tie outs, etc) to it for winter mod?
    I added central ridgeline tieouts and used a pair of grip clips for center side tie outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lump View Post
    My wife stays outside 2 or 3 nights a week. She has a leg injury and the hammock is just more comfortable for her to sleep in. Im sure the neighbors find it very interesting when she stumbles through the yard in the mourning coming back in.
    The walk of shame from the back yard? Nah, that's the walk of blissful sleep.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12