Hammock
    HH ultralite explorer
    Tarp
    HH hex tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington

linville gorge hammocking

hello all,

i'm planning a trip to the linville gorge wilderness area, here in NC on the 4th of July weekend (hopefully not too hot). i'm planning on taking a much different route than i usually take (babel- LGT). i was wondering if anyone has experience hammocking in "the gorge", and if so, if there's any areas i should beware of that i would have a hard time hanging, AND where the best experiences you've had hanging in the gorge.

thanks!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Oh yeah, beautiful place. It can get pretty hot there in the summer, especially considering the ruggedness of some of the trails.
    But you probably already know that.

I've not done the Babel Tower trail or any of the Linville Gorge Trail (LGT) north of the Spence Ridge trail & bridge, but there are plenty of places to hang a hammock from Spence ridge south.
    And there probably are north of there too.

There are a lot of trails in there I've not done but I've been from Table Rock to Shortoff Mnt. Not much reliable water to be found on a lot of the ridge tops.

Here's a thread were I told about a hike I did to Daffodil Flats this past Easter.
    There is a link to pictures too.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...affodill+flats

Are you familiar w/ the two web sites, linvillegorge.net & [email protected]
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH ultralite explorer
    Tarp
    HH hex tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    thanks slowhike. i see we're both from winston! i am definatly more familiar with the north end of the gorge than the south, and the west more-so than the east. i just recently became a hanger and of the times i've been to the gorge, i've always used a tent. the loop i intended on doing was 1)parking at pinnacle 2) pinnacle to MST (mountain to sea) crossing the river and going on the ridge of shortoff mountain all the way to spence to LGT and 3) south back to pinnacle. do you think i should be fine hammocking?

i just emailed a friend of mine- a moderator over at the linville gorge yahoo group and asked him about daffodil flats today. its funny that you mentioned it! great pics as well!

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think you would be fine there as long as you plan to hike past the burned out areas on shortoff, or at least to the top of shortoff where you will have water.
    There are two & sometimes three water sources on shortoff. There have been times (especially last year) when I herd reports of those water sources being dry, but they have always had water when I was there.
    I would think they would be running now, but of course, I can't guarantee that though<G>.

Hopefully we can get hooked up on the trail sometime. ...Tim

Hammock
    HH ultralite explorer
    Tarp
    HH hex tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    thanks for the info. i'll seeya on the trail...David

Images
    i've done the linville gorge river trail with a hammock. great hike by the way, especially if the river is running hard. i think it's only 12 miles or so though. very nice hemlock groves along the river toward the falls end of that trail i believe. that part on nc is a freaking jungle, i don't think you will have a problem finding trees to hang from.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i've done the linville gorge river trail with a hammock. great hike by the way, especially if the river is running hard. i think it's only 12 miles or so though. very nice hemlock groves along the river toward the falls end of that trail i believe. that part on nc is a freaking jungle, i don't think you will have a problem finding trees to hang from.
    Yep, it's pretty rugged. There are almost always trees but sometimes they are surrounded by heavy under growth.
    But it seams like if you just move on, you'll come to some cleaner woods soon enough.

I have no doubt that I can find LOTS more places to hang my hammock than i could to put a tent... but then you already knew that

Hammock
    HH ultralite explorer
    Tarp
    HH hex tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    yeah, im really excited to take it on. i just hope the weather isnt THAT incredibly hot. i can deal with it hiking, but i have a hard time sleeping when im too hot. it's been a while since i've been to the gorge, and i look forward to exploring some areas i havent seen before- including DAFFODIL FLATS!

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wfuballer21 View Post
    yeah, im really excited to take it on. i just hope the weather isnt THAT incredibly hot. i can deal with it hiking, but i have a hard time sleeping when im too hot. it's been a while since i've been to the gorge, and i look forward to exploring some areas i havent seen before- including DAFFODIL FLATS!
    Of course you know that the daffodils wont be blooming, but there's some interesting stone piles from the 1800s.
    Take another look at the pictures in the link & the captions under them.

Hammock
    HH ultralite explorer
    Tarp
    HH hex tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    no the flowers wont be blooming, but it's a place i've heard a lot about and i look forward to checking out the place. i saw those stone piles, any idea as to what they were used for?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast