Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images

Fish/Hike In GA

With trout season fast approaching, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good river hike to do some fishing. I was thinking of maybe the Jacks River trail or maybe part of the Bartram Trail. I've done part of the Conasauga 2 years ago and had some luck, but that needs to be a hot weather hike because of all the stream crossings. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB
    Quote Originally Posted by thepikey View Post
    With trout season fast approaching, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good river hike to do some fishing. I was thinking of maybe the Jacks River trail or maybe part of the Bartram Trail. I've done part of the Conasauga 2 years ago and had some luck, but that needs to be a hot weather hike because of all the stream crossings. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    I think the BMT crosses the Toccoa river a few times. I could be wrong, but I know the Toccoa is good for trout.

Hammock
    DIY HH clone sorta
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coldstealie View Post
    I think the BMT crosses the Toccoa river a few times. I could be wrong, but I know the Toccoa is good for trout.
    I did the BMT last year. Not impressed with the fishing. I don't know if you are familiar, but I did the 4 miles in to the River from SR60 (I think) to the suspension bridge. Only to find out there was a parking lot right there at the bridge. It was a good hike, but way too popular of a spot. Too many high school kids swimming at the bridge and partying all night , and the fishing sucked. Not even a nibble. I was looking for somewhere a little more secluded. I don't know if its possible any more. When I did the Conasauga a few years ago, it was pretty secluded. I'm thinking about doing it again, but would like some more options.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB
    I did the BMT last year. Not impressed with the fishing. I don't know if you are familiar, but I did the 4 miles in to the River from SR60 (I think) to the suspension bridge. Only to find out there was a parking lot right there at the bridge. It was a good hike, but way too popular of a spot. Too many high school kids swimming at the bridge and partying all night , and the fishing sucked. Not even a nibble. I was looking for somewhere a little more secluded. I don't know if its possible any more. When I did the Conasauga a few years ago, it was pretty secluded. I'm thinking about doing it again, but would like some more options.
    Yeah I know what you mean. I hate when people trash beautiful places and don't respect the woods. When I go car camping I go up to the Toccoa from hwy 60 off of rock creek road by the fish hatchery. That place has turned into a dump almost. Last time I was there I walked around and picked up trash because it was so bad. People have no respect.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Custom 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/pads
    Suspension
    Straps/ Dutch
    Don't know where you want to go in GA but the Foothills Trail along the Chattooga River on the SC/GA border is one of my favorites. Plenty of trees and the trail follows the river mostly. Also, the SC DNR stocked 7800 trout last week, mostly in the Chattooga! Plenty of posts here on the area. Good luck.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish on View Post
    Don't know where you want to go in GA but the Foothills Trail along the Chattooga River on the SC/GA border is one of my favorites. Plenty of trees and the trail follows the river mostly. Also, the SC DNR stocked 7800 trout last week, mostly in the Chattooga! Plenty of posts here on the area. Good luck.
    Seconded. Also, I've heard good things about hiking Panther Creek to the falls. I don't know if the fishing would be any good there though.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    DIY HH clone sorta
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish on View Post
    I'll go just about anywhere right now. This weather has me itching to get out. But the Chattooga is one of the options I was looking at. That and the Jacks River trail. Maybe I'll luck out and find time to hit both this year.

Hammock
    DIY HH clone sorta
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images
    sweet action. I can't wait. Does anyone pack waders?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    sweet action. I can't wait. Does anyone pack waders?
    I have before and at this time of the year I would recommend it. The Chattooga can be a hard river to fish without getting wet. It adds quite a bit to my load since I don't believe in the super thin packable waders or really cheaply made, lightweight wading boots but I don't mind the extra weight too much. I typically save most of my backpacking/ fishing trips for the summer and early fall.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Custom 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/pads
    Suspension
    Straps/ Dutch
    Pikey, definitely waders until mid to late April in the Chattooga. After that is just grin and bear it. Last water temp I checked was 44 degrees. Wear hiking shoes/boots and carry your wading shoes if felt bottom( too slick on the trail). Breathable waders are lighest and best this time of year. Have a great trip and catch 'em!!
    a

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast