Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Eureka Chrysalis UQ idea - input welcomed

I've been mulling the idea of an UQ bag over for quite a while now. I want to use my WL full length down UQ with my chrysalis.

The biggest issue here is that I want to be able to use the chrysalis as is, with it's own cover, without having to add a tarp. So I can't just hang the UQ underneath, because it will get soaked once it rains.

What I came up with is a pretty standard "bag" to go around the UQ. The side that sticks to the hammock, has the velcro pieces in the exact same spot as the hammock itself. The side that faces away from the hammock is a bit adjusted to make sure the UQ can loft. You can see the sketches below. To know more about the dimensions of the hammock, you can go here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=47515

I'm happy with all the input and ideas you guys can give as to adjustments or feasibility of this. I'm going to have to start making this thing sooner rather than later. I'll be needing it in about a month. Worst case scenario, I slip in an old yoga mat and a rescue blanket instead.

If you want to see it in centimeters, go here:

I am aware that the corners will be squished, I'll just shake down towards the center there.

I'm also contemplating on how to attach the UQ inside the bag. I'm either going to make loops in the corners to tie all the shock cord to. Or I might make little holes to feed the shock cord through, so I can adjust and attach it that way. Again, suggestions welcome. Especially anything that might entail less work.

Hi Kreech, Been thinking about this too. How about a lightweight (cuben?) tarp under the UQ, pulled up with shock cord? Would have to have shocks midway down the sides as well as on the corners.

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey oldyellahide. I've been thinking about a single waterproof layer with shock cord as you suggest as well. But before I would go nice & lightweight cuben, I would want to know it works, with a cheaper solution. I've got some waterproof (at least I hope it's waterproof ) ripstop laying around, so I'll be using that.

The only reason I would go for a bag instead of a single layer is because the inside of the chrysalis does condensate (still have to figure out a mod for the air vents to assist with this issue) and I don't want that condensation to run onto my down UQ and not be able to go anywhere because there's a waterproof layer underneath that UQ and possibly puddling up at the bottom of it. Yeah, I know, I would have to get some seriously heavy condensation for it to puddle up... but I'd really hate ruining my neat and cozy down UQ.

On the other hand, a single layer would be considerably less work... I'm going to the store tomorrow to get some seam sealer and some velcro. I guess it'll be a last minute decision.
    Last edited by kreecher; 02-26-2012 at 14:19.

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    The bag has been made. I still need to seam seal the whole thing, go over it with an additional waterproofing spray and then I need to field test it to see if it hangs right and wont squish the down UQ. Will put up pictures soon.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Can't wait to see what you came up with.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Seam sealing is taking forever, stuff has to dry for 24hours. I started on the inside of the bag for the velcro. I did one side yesterday, turned it over today and did the other. Got a different brand seam seal for the outside seams though. It dries in 3 hours instead of 24 and is not as shiny.

Then I'll reinforce my ridge pole from the turtlelady stand. After that, I should be able to test it. Hopefully in the weekend. I'll keep you posted.

curious as to where this is going.

I don't have any advice for you but I kinda wonder where this is going to end up. I admire innovation.

I thought that the advantage of the open bridge Chrysalis design was that it was possible to use sleeping pads right on top of the hammock. Unlike other hammock designs,you don't have the hammock fabric wrapping around you trapping moisture and compressing the insulation of the bag. Have you tried it with just a closed cell foam pad or two? Other than some condensation I've haven't had any problems down to below 0 C.

Good luck

Rob

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketrobinhood View Post
    I don't have any advice for you but I kinda wonder where this is going to end up. I admire innovation.

I thought that the advantage of the open bridge Chrysalis design was that it was possible to use sleeping pads right on top of the hammock. Unlike other hammock designs,you don't have the hammock fabric wrapping around you trapping moisture and compressing the insulation of the bag. Have you tried it with just a closed cell foam pad or two? Other than some condensation I've haven't had any problems down to below 0 C.

Good luck

Rob
    Pads in any hammock are just not as comfy. I absolutely agree that the bridge design lends itself to a better curves for pad use but I still love the cup feeling of the hammock material. Everyone talks about the flatness of a bridge but that really is misleading. If you look at the body your lower back and neck both curve in wards. I find a pad to be more like sleeping on a really soft slightly giving floor. Pads are great for those who love them and for starters but most eventually go to under covers, quilts pods, ect...

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I completely agree with Jazilla and making this raincoat to fit my down underquilt to the chrysalis bridge without having to use a tarp is nothing but a comfort issue based on preference. Yes a pad is perfectly possible in a chrysalis since it's so flat, but I prefer laying directly on top of the hammock fabric with an UQ attached.

As Jazilla said, there's people that love pads and then there's people that don't. I'm one of the latter.

As to the flatness of a bridge, look at the bear mountain bridge, not much flatness there as in a "bed like surface". Mostly what is meant with bridge flatness is the fact that you can get a flatter lay in them. Not that the bridge itself resembles a flat surface. There are of course exceptions that also have a "flatter bedlike surface" to boot. Like the chrysalis and Ber's cyrus or cloud DIY bridge.

I'll be adding a step-by-step guide as to the construction of the UQ raincoat in the run up to the actual test. After field testing, I might still change some stuff.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kreecher View Post
    I As to the flatness of a bridge, look at the bear mountain bridge, not much flatness there as in a "bed like surface".
    If you think about beds flat is the exact reason memory foam and sleep number beds are so popular. When I was 20 I could lay on the floor at my moms and nap for hours. When I do that now to watch tv with my son I have to almost be lifted off the floor. You spine naturally curves and I think a bridge hammock does that for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast