WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanging View Post
    Thanks Bubba, wasn't aware that the superfly included the 4 pull outs as well.

Catavarie, thanks for the comparison.

I do plan to have a bugnet.
    Since I wish to use a sperate bug net, which one offers the best features.

As I said I do plan to buy the Polar Pad, but what would be a good UQ/TQ set up for the 3 seasons, sping, summer and fall.
    I have been considering the Black Mamba TQ and Incabator for UQ
    The old Superflys don't have the side pull outs, but all the new ones do. The Superflys go like hot cakes, when they are up for sale.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Actually, the Superflies have always had side pull-outs. The Big Mamajamas didn't used to have them, but do now. For a while, it was easy to confuse the two since the BMJs came with the option of doors.

I own what I think is the only Superfly without side pull-outs. It is the prototype I took with me on my AT hike. Since Brandon got tired of hearing me whine about the lack of pull-outs, the production models came with them.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Honestly, the need for an underquilt down here in summer is next to nothing. Bring a lightweight synthetic quilt that's a little oversized, and you can tuck it under you for those rare times when it's below 75 F. If you have a sit pad, that will take care of the majority of your torso if the wind picks up at those temperatures. Personally, I get by with a blue CCF pad about 12" x 18" and a poncho liner during those months. Didn't have a problem once with feeling too cold last year (matter of fact, never even had to pull the sit pad into the hammock).

During spring and fall (and even "winter" most times here), anything rated to 30 F should be just fine. If you're a cold sleeper, make that 20. If you're (like me) a warm sleeper, make that 40. Really, it comes down to how much weight and bulk you're willing to live with and how much you want to pay for it.
    I hear you FLRider, thanks for your input. Agree dont need much of a UQ here in the summer. I do travel to the Mts quite a bit during the 3 seasons, so for me, I think it going to be justified to have UQ and TQ. Been at the Ocala Forest several times in winter, where it was down in the 20's.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanging View Post
    Been at the Ocala Forest several times in winter, where it was down in the 20's.
    Even south of that around my old stomping grounds (Vero Beach), there were several times that I needed something below me. I remember very well one morning being flat-out cold with just a cheap Walmart pad under me...COLD! Sure, it was the exception that proves the rule, but sure did wish I had an underquilt that night.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Might want to look into therapy. Delusional thoughts are not to be taken lightly.

I do think comfort comes more from length, but I don't think width should be ignored. I like a diagonal position in a hammock and any additional width helps broaden the 'sweet spot' of the hammock, making it easier to settle into quickly. I think the length determines the comfort of the 'sweet spot' and width determines the ease of finding said spot. Milk and cookies; best served together.

I've slept in a few hammocks upside down. Heck, I woke up one morning looking at the ground through the netting of my Hennessy. Wasn't on purpose, but... Honestly, I take the appropriate hammock with me on trips instead of trying to make one 'work'. A luxury of having a robust hammock collection. Probably better folks to ask on this point.
    I like milk and cookies, so when opportunites present themself, try both the WB Travler and WL Light Owl, then decide. Keep one and sell the other.

Agree the arrpropiate Hammock for the job at hand..

Thanks for the input Cannabal...

Now I just need to know what seperate bug net, which one offers the best features.

Cannibal writes "...COLD! Sure, it was the exception that proves the rule, but sure did wish I had an underquilt that night.

Well said..

Umm Vero, my neck of the woods also.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Shoot - my hammock is only 5' long, but it's 10.5' wide. I just sleep in it sideways...
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I have all three of the hammocks you mention, I would say for comfort the WL owl is the winner, then the Switch back followed by the traveler.

But for your polar pod, you will want the traveler. Nice low and floppy side will help minimize air space in your pod. Less for you to heat up. Traveler is the lightest option which you will want if you are going to lug the polar pod around.

If it were me, I'd get the WL Owl use that for 3seasons with your TQ/UQ and the Traveler with the pod for winter.

S

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    +1 props to Cannibal on the width+length question.

If I were to bet, I'd say there is a mathematical relationship / ratio between length and width in the hammock. To make it more complicated, that ratio is probably also dependent on the user's height too. Advanced hammock theory comes to play here.

I've slept in hammocks that were too wide without the right length. Hammocks that are too wide end up with flappy sides in all but the deepest sag. Flappy fabric on the sides tells me that either A) the hammock is too wide for the length and/or B) the hammock needs a deeper sag. If A. or B. cannot be solved, than that extra flappy fabric is just a waste of material.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12