Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images

tarp tensioners

I was looking for a quick way to switch between tarps and found this system available at Annapolis Performance Sailing. UV rated EPDM rubber cord and cover with attachable hook end and eye ends! I made 4 for my MacCat and they work well. I'm curious how they do in below freezing weather.

[IMG][/IMG]

Images
    Looking at the products that APS has available, I think you must have the 1/4" cord and use the hog rings to hold the hooks on. Right? Also, you said these work pretty well...so I assume that 1/4" is not overly stiff. How long is each piece? I've been using a lighter weight shock cord, but in parallel with the tie-out line. My way makes for more to get tangled, etc than I like, and I would prefer a direct attachment from the tie-out line to the shock cord to the tarp. That would require that the shock cord be both strong enough to hold in strong wind, and gentle enough to tension the tarp in no-wind situations without applying too much force. The JRB tensioners are a tube, I think, with the tie-out line running through to provide that 'last resort' holding effort.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    What you've made there is essentially the same thing that Clark ships with their hammocks for use between the bug-net supports and the tarp ridgeline.
    On the Clark they're intended to keep you from tearing the bug-net when you put your weight in the hammock (pulling the hammock and bug-net further from the tarp ridgeline).

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DougTheElder View Post
    Looking at the products that APS has available, I think you must have the 1/4" cord and use the hog rings to hold the hooks on. Right? Also, you said these work pretty well...so I assume that 1/4" is not overly stiff. How long is each piece? I've been using a lighter weight shock cord, but in parallel with the tie-out line. My way makes for more to get tangled, etc than I like, and I would prefer a direct attachment from the tie-out line to the shock cord to the tarp. That would require that the shock cord be both strong enough to hold in strong wind, and gentle enough to tension the tarp in no-wind situations without applying too much force. The JRB tensioners are a tube, I think, with the tie-out line running through to provide that 'last resort' holding effort.
    The hook end and/or eye end fit over the 1/4" Solcor solid EPDM shock cord. There is a sleeve that slides over the hook/eye end locking the cord inside. Quite simple. I made my tensioners about 8" long. I stretch them to 12". APS items PFRSB4 (dead ends) and PFTHB4 (hooks).

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I wonder how much stress they would take before the plastic snaps? I've seen some stiff wind put a lot of stress on those lines.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I'm not sure about how much stress they will take but I'm hoping they are as strong as the D rings on my MacCat in which they are fastened. Since the shock cord can be pulled to double its length, my hope is that the shock cord will take most the stress from the hook.

• + New Posts