JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images

Who cares about a tent peg?

Who cares about a tent peg?

A lot of folks do, judging from the often posed question, “What is the best peg?” Frequently, the better question is asked. “What kind of peg(s) do you recommend?”

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” and, “The devil is in the details” point out the frivolity of any answer. Normally when asked this question I respond with questions.

What is most important to you? (Saving weight, ease of use, holding power)
    What size and shape tent or tarp to secure? (Large flat surfaces or low wind shedding wedge or domes)
    What degree of site exposure is expected? (Protected wooded draws or wind battered ridges)
    What type of soil or ground is likely? (Forest loam, sandy, or hard pack and rocky, or even snow).

The answers are found in the range of options and the tradeoffs of each option.

The ubiquitous aluminum Sheppard’s Hook peg is the most common selection. It is the least costly averaging $ 0.50 to $1.00, weighs approximately 0.5 ounce, has reasonable holding power and generally woks in most non frozen conditions, though subject to bending in hard, rocky or rooted ground.

The often sought Titanium Ultra Light Sheppard’s Hook peg is popular. It is two to three times more costly at $2.00 to $3.00, weighs considerably less at approximately 0.2 ounce, but has mediocre to poor holding power. Its slender diameter is the beauty for just popping them in to loamy or loose soil. It is also the Achilles heel as its slender diameter has greatly reduced surface area when holding power is need.

The current class of “Y” shaped pegs, sometime referred to as “ground hog pegs” are a good compromise of cost and holding power at the expense of lightness. There cost in the mid range $1.75-$2.50, weight is generally 0.5- 0.6 ounce. The shape provides 3-6 times the surface area for increased holding power. A bonus is that as a straight peg design they hammer into harder ground with little to no bending risk. There side notches are minimal for those application where you want to use the on a ground pegged loop.

Specialty pegs often based on “V” shapes some with cut-out and sometimes in titanium seek a mid point in holding power and weight reduction. Again they are costly at approximately $3.00, weigh approximately 0.3-0.4 ounces. They suffer the side notch trade-off of the Y peg and are more prone to bending.

Plastic stake although often inexpensive, but not always, relative to simple shepherd hook aluminum pegs, are normally bulkier to pack and often slightly heavier. They vary in brittle nature and often worsen in brittleness in cold/freezing temperatures. A major plus is their broader size; for increased holding power and ease of use in sandy or beach conditions.

Bottom line, when asked,” What is the best peg?” ; my short answer is carry a mix of aluminum and ti Sheppard Hooks and sufficient aluminum “Y’” pegs for likely windward corner requirements. Thus you will optimize cost, weight, and holding power for a broad range of conditions.

Hope that pegs it for you.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Thank you.

You have confirmed the good logic of packing 3 various types ( 5 pegs ).

trailname : Distracted By Stone

Images
    Very good explanation of how ground conditions really determines the best peg to use.

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    Insulation
    Gossammer Gear CCF
    Suspension
    SB Poly-Whoopies
    I have been using MSR Groundhog stakes for ages. Bought about a dozen of them a long while ago and have been using them since. I've replaced the cord on a few of them.

I was thinking about MSR Needles to save weight, but the holding power of the Groundhog is too awesome to risk having to re-insert stakes to save a few grams. I would use the Needles with their squared edges before going to Ti stakes with their smooth rounded profile.

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    WOW
    great article and a great answer to the age old question

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm a mix 'n match guy....bring some Ti Shepards and a groundhog or two....trip and tarp dependent. Sticks for tarp flaps often.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I make what I need on-site with sticks. In many cases all I need is one or two because there are other trees, etc... to tie off to.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    I am mostly a car camper, with the boy scouts, and I use these academy 16'' stakes for my diy hammock stand (its not going anywhere).

They were the biggest ones that I could find, so that my butt doesn't meet the ground at night, unless I trip getting out of my hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I swap between a few too, ti v stakes most of the time but also ally 9" beasts if it's going to be soft ground.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly Camo
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ w/Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Like everybody here I have managed to collect a plethora of tent stakes. But when it comes to backpacking I carry 8 MSR GroundHog'S. total 4.4 oz's. They get me by in most situations.
    "Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast