Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac
Quote Rune. I live at 68*N. I think I know about frozen ground. When it's frozen here it's covered in ice and pegs are useless no matter what they are made from. As for rocky ground. If the ground is rocky there are stones. Also in snow you don't use it as a stake, that you drive into the ground. I just lay it flat on the ground and cover it with snow. That will hold it plenty good enough if you use a meter or more length of it. I used it in Blizzard conditions and gale force winds last weekend. Held nicely.. quote

The ring nails I have mentioned and use work very well in concrete hard frozen ground and hold well in the ice of a lake. I use the same nails in snow but I do not nail to the ground that might be a meter below the snow surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
Well, snow is mostly the problem. This year we got it before the ground froze. Then we had rain and then a freeze that lasted for a couple of months, before we had a new thaw and rain, and then it froze again. Covering the ground witha 20 cm thick layer of solid ice. Which now have your meter of snow on top of it. Much easier to tie off to trees, saplings and rocks, and where none is at hand, bury a branch in the snow and tie off to that. Many times I've used my skis and skipoles.

In the summer I just make one or two on the spot for that one corner that has nthing within reach.
In deep sand and snow I bury a piece of fire wood where I need it and nail to that. I did not think I had to put in every detail.