DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Big Daddy Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF/
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling

Anyone hang at music festivals?

Me and some friends are planing on going to a music festival sometime this summer (It will be my first festival!). Everyone is planing on bringing tents but I'd much rather bring my hammock! Anyone else ever hang at a music festival? My friend who has been to this festival before said there are some spots with trees but it's mostly tent sites so I might think about making a hammock stand. Otherweise i'll probably be stuck in a tent with 4 or 5 other people

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I've never been to a music festival (sounds fun!), but I'm guessing its really crowded, with people everywhere? So, 2 problems that might come up 1.finding a suitable hang site 2. even though hammocks are becoming more mainstream, they are still a bit of a novelty -- I think I would worry about some one stealing my gear----then again, I've always been worried about that, and its never happened!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    HH Expl Deluxe
    Tarp
    OMW 144"
    Insulation
    -13*C FL Winter UQ
    Suspension
    DClips, rings, web
    My worry would be as has been said, it's a novelty that people would (when drunk) throw stuff at you etc. Also, they are pretty crowded so if you have friends in a tent, you may struggle to pitch close to each other.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    they are still a bit of a novelty -- I think I would worry about some one stealing my gear----then again, I've always been worried about that, and its never happened!
    Perhaps tuck away the hammock and toss it in one of your buddies tents when youre not using it
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    a tarp pitched low enough over a stand might look like a tent.

You'd have to build it well before you get there (ie start now) so that you know what you're dealing with.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Not knowing the landscape and layout, it's hard to say. One advantage a hammock has is you can hang where tents can't setup. This also can get you away from traffic lanes and kind of back stage from everything, where maybe it will not get too much attention. When i am with friends that are tent campers, I try not to take the premium tent spots, and in return, they allow me to choose my spot 1st, for the hammocks requirements.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I wouldn't turn my back on my gear for a second at most festivals, my fellow Americans being the way they are. Bag it, and lock it up.

I'm almost sure I remember a post from a couple of years ago where someone got ripped off at a festival.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    I hung at Merlefest a few years back. No problem.

The campground there is a bit off the beaten path with plenty of trees near a stream where tenters could never pitch. I had a little spot almost to myself ... well, about fourty square feet.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WBBB XL 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch & Whoopie!
    Well I'm new to the hanging thing but music and music festivals is how I made my living for years. TREES or something to hang from might be your biggest problem depending on the location. obxh20: Merlefest is great but also a gem! Not all festivals are set up so lax and even if there are trees, claiming them as your own is yet another matter. I would a have back up plan for sure...IMHO

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm planning on hanging at Bonnaroo next month, but I do believe I'll take down my hammock when I'm not using it. I'll be using a TurtleDog stand that I made recently as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast