Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eno or Grand Trunk for AT thru hike?

Eno weighs quite a bit more than the grand trunk which . I don't see a difference in either one sleeping for me . Do you think the Grand trunk will last thru a hike. I will be using a CCP with a 800 down 15 mummy bag and bringing a big agness non insulated inflateable at least till I am out of GSMNP

Hammock
    eno DN(Daily)Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Cuben DIYw/beak
    Insulation
    15*Bag/20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Don’t know about a GT but when I do my AT thru I’ll most likely use my eno. You can shave some weight but cutting the stuff sack off or the heavy azz straps or both. My pocket is still on but took the straps off… I like the idea of keeping small item in the pocket at camp! Also there are more if not better ways to cut weight from your pack than choosing which hammock to use, IMHO.
    I hope you find what works best for you…!
    Always have a Plan B C D and E! - Arson

I 100% believe “Normal is Boring!"

Does Shug ever put out a bad video?

"Man up and get back up to the top of the food chain Mr. Omnivore. That McDonalds didn't grow out of a Avacodo bush.” - MrClean417

"The trick to living and learning is actually living." - Cannibal

"He who would travel happily must travel light."
    - Antonine Marie Roger de Saint-Exupery

"Backpacking is the art of knowing what not to take."
    - Sheridan Anderson

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    used a eno pronest on my 300 mile section hike and it worked out great for me. its a good sturdy hammock. I just bought a grandtrunk nano 7 and it seems to be a great hammock but the material is alot thinner than the eno, the nano 7 is super light though.

if you go with an eno i would go with the pronest for a thru, its 12 oz but it is a bit smaller than a singlenest. dont bother with them slapstaps they offer, they stretch way too much.

GTUL is a diff material. Normal GT singles and doubles are about identical to ENO single and doubles. Only difference really is price.

I think my GT is an ultra light , well there is always a tent option I can get a Big Agness UL2 that will fit my husband on his visits and its 1 lb lighter and I won't have to worry about being cold,

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    The GT Ultralight is polyester. It stretches less and has a firmer lay. It's my go-to hammock and mine has lasted several years now and still going strong. I personally favor the polyester over the nylon hammocks, but that's just me.

The Nano is _light_ and must be treated with special care. If you take it on the Thru, have a spare in your jump box. It beats anything else out there, and for those of us gram-weenies, it's the cat's meow.

For a Thru, you'll want a bug net, but there are lots of options. Grand Trunk has their Skeeter Beeter in both Ultralight (polyester) fabric, and Pro (parachute nylon). I have the SB Ultralight and really like it. Again, the price is hard to beat. Throw in your favorite tarp and you're still below budget for any of the other hammock kits out there.

I am making bug nets for them, 1 is going to be zipped the other is going to be a tube type, I picked up enough lightweight netting on the Walmart $1.50 table to make nets for both

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I'm an ultralighter and I tend to be very careful with my gear and take chances when it comes to durability. That said, I'd be VERY careful taking a Nano-7 and be prepared to replace it. The good thing with that plan is you can find a replacement Eno at many outfitters. Get a good ultralight suspension that you can salvage if you have to abandon a damaged Nano7 and put it on a slight upgrade hammock like an Eno or other Grand Trunk.

Also, the 48" wide on the Nano7 often left me feeling like I was about to fall out - though I never did. You might get use to it over time, but I would probably feel slightly safer with a hammock just a tad wider.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I'm an ultralighter and I tend to be very careful with my gear and take chances when it comes to durability. That said, I'd be VERY careful taking a Nano-7 and be prepared to replace it. The good thing with that plan is you can find a replacement Eno at many outfitters. Get a good ultralight suspension that you can salvage if you have to abandon a damaged Nano7 and put it on a slight upgrade hammock like an Eno or other Grand Trunk.

Also, the 48" wide on the Nano7 often left me feeling like I was about to fall out - though I never did. You might get use to it over time, but I would probably feel slightly safer with a hammock just a tad wider.
    I don't own a nano I have an grand trunk ultra light actually several of them and an eno singlenest

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Just looking at stats and knowing my personal preferences I would go with a Grand Trunk Ultralight, especially if you already have one.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast