Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nest for a Hennessy bottom entry

I am considering getting a Nest underquilt for my Hennessy Deluxe Explorer with bottom entry. Do any of you use one? How do you like it? Is there a better underquilt on the market that mates up with the bottom entry Explorer? Would you get the 3 or 4 season nest? I am going to be kayak tripping and temps could get into the low 30's.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    I have a Nest and used it on a Hennessy ULBA for a year. Not a fun experience for me. Finally sent the Hennessy to 2Q and ZQ for the zipper mod. Sewed the bottom hole shut and went to a Hudson River long to get more coverage on the length. I now use the Nest as a TQ in any of my hammocks. Much happier. and no more wrestling with the bottom entry.
    But this is just my preference.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Quote Originally Posted by kycamper View Post
    I am considering getting a Nest underquilt for my Hennessy Deluxe Explorer with bottom entry. Do any of you use one? How do you like it? Is there a better underquilt on the market that mates up with the bottom entry Explorer? Would you get the 3 or 4 season nest? I am going to be kayak tripping and temps could get into the low 30's.
    I have the Nest which I bought specifically for a bottom entry Hennessy. For me, it mated up well and worked great. I have since migrated to a different hammock (Blackbird) but still use the Nest. I expect that you will be happy with the Nest. The quality and craftsmanship are superb, IMHO!

"I have a Nest and used it on a Hennessy ULBA for a year. Not a fun experience for me."

What did you not like about the nest and the bottom entry Henessy. From what I read, the Nest is supposed to attach really well to the Henessy making entry and exit fairly easy.

I like the bottom entry as it is easier to get in and out of in the dark.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    I have a Nest and love it- I also have a gathered end hammock. You can shove the quilt out of the way of the bottom entry even if it's not got the velcro attached. (the bungies stretch)
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    I use a nest on a HH Safari. It sets up quick and works as advertised. I have had good results down to the upper twenties. I want to get the Mod 4 from 2QZQ when I can scrap up the cash. I'd like the flexibility it provides, but I'll still use the bottom entry if I need the bugnet. The great thing about the nest is it will work either way.

And I should say, the customer service and quality of the work are outstanding at JRB.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    BWDD
    Insulation
    UGQ/UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ET
    I have a nest and like it as well. I used it primarily on my HH I just sold (but got stolen in transit along with a KAQ). It fit up very well with my explorer and I never took it to its limits, but I enjoyed its warmth. I now have a BB and will be selling my nest, to finance a 3/4uq. I just haven't got around to posting it but if interested, shoot me a pm.

Hammock
    HH, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OP nylon thingy
    Insulation
    JRB nest S2S MCII
    Suspension
    treehuggers, rings
    I have a winter nest for my HH Explorer Deluxe. With the longer hammock, it does seem to take a bit of time to set it up right. It seems as if it is optimized for a standard length HH. Once i had it set up though it was pretty slick. I do not attach the omni-tape to the HH velcro, rather I seal up the Nest and then the HH bottom entry. Seems to work well enough. Thought I was getting a draft through the omni-tape but when I hopped out, the quilt had shifted.

On an un-related note I am planning on moving away from the HH bottom entry. The hammock fabric and the reinforced/vecroed edges on the bottom entry stretch at different rates and the opening "seam" digs into my legs more and more. This is unfortunate as I love the function of the bottom-entry. (I may have a winter nest for sale here soon if anyone is interested)

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I have both a Nest and Winter Nest. Use them with my Explorer and my DIY gathered ends. Both are excellent under quilts that can be used with almost any hammock. Additionally they offer the flexibility of being wearable.

Some (me included) find the Nest to be a little over rated, so I only use it for 3-season camping. Have used the Winter Nest down to single digits.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Add one more to the list of bottom entry HH, JRB nest users. Used it with my Sierra Sniveller top quilt. Left the TQ flat for venting as the low temps were only in the low 50's last weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast