Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Just so, RodWolfy!

Asym in a SB is less pronounced because at 52" it is relatively narrow. Most hammocks are full width of the cloth, which is about 60", so they can have a generous and roomy diagonal. The SB diagonal is closer to the centerline because your feet and head reach the edges sooner than with other hammocks.

Being relatively narrow also limits the shoulder squeeze. It can only squeeze a little, because there is not a lot of extra fabric with which to squeeze. That attribute also yields the nice view on each side; unlike a HH, there is no wall blocking the scenery.

At one time, I thought I would never have another 'boughten' hammock, that I would make my own from now on. Then, I got a Switchback. Not only do they have a unique geometry, but they are made very well. Even Thing1, who loves DIY hammocks and sleeps in one every night at home, uses a SB Lighthiker when she needs a bugnet!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    With many of the gathered end hammocks, you can only get a flat lay by going asym. There are a few exceptions like the DD, Clark, SB, BMBH and likely the soon to be released Warbonnet Bridge.

With the SB, you don't want the 30 degree angle coming off the tree. MacEntyre's experience mimic'd mine. I started at 25 degrees and went progressively steeper. After about the third adjustment, I noticed it was getting worse. When I went the other way - really tightening it up (just pulling the straps tighter through the rings), I found it was way more comfortable.

I did notice a little shoulder squeeze, like Rip said, but the SB has tie-outs on all four 'corners' so you can spread it out.
    I've never used the pullouts to prevent shoulder squeeze.
    If I had to do that the hammock would be to tightly strung IMO.

Any angle between 20 and 25 degrees gives me a perfect lay without any additional fiddling. One of the best features for me. Hang it and your done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I've never used the pullouts to prevent shoulder squeeze.
    If I had to do that the hammock would be to tightly strung IMO.

Any angle between 20 and 25 degrees gives me a perfect lay without any additional fiddling. One of the best features for me. Hang it and your done.
    That was my opinion from the word go about the Claytor No Net ( 48" wide). It just didn't seem to make much dif about how I hung it, though if there was a dif pulling it tighter was if anything more comfortable. Hang it and your done, pretty much with little sag or more sag. I have never bothered with a ridgeline for this hammock. It has always been my go to hammock for a PeaPod.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12