Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops

Calling SB Owners

How flat of a lay can I get in a SB? I have bad knees and need to sleep with them straight, and sometimes on my side.

The WBBB is not flat enough. My BMBH is.

I'm just looking to add another hammock to the family and want to hear your opinions.

Thanks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelander View Post
    How flat of a lay can I get in a SB? I have bad knees and need to sleep with them straight, and sometimes on my side.

I'm just looking to add another hammock to the family and want to hear your opinions.

Thanks
    I have yet to find one that can consistently match a BMBH is this regard and lack of calf pressure. The closest for me is ( and close enough?) is the HH Safari, the Claytor No Net and my new WL Light Owl. Have not yet got to try a SB.

Thanks
    I haven't tried a bridge yet, but I hear those are as flat as you'll get. I have a 1.9 SL SB hammock. I have knee/leg issues, too. But I prefer to sleep with my legs slightly bent and sleep on my side quite a bit.

Most guys prefer a taut pitch with the SB and I do, too. With a tight pitch it can be pretty flat and, depending on your height, I think you may find it flatter than most hammocks b/c they are fairly long (10 ft) and offer more surface area than other hammocks. The tighter pitch and generous diagonal may allow for exactly what you are seeking.

I hope this helps.

Michael

Images

Thanks
    I've own both and if you were not flat enough in a bb I don't think you will be
    flat enough in a SB.
    IMO the advantage of the SB is no calf pressure, no RL to keep hitting your head on and a net that ties way up out of your way.

Adding a pillow under the knees could help a lot in a gathered hammock IMO.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    A Switchback is an unusual hammock, because the "cut-across-the-leg" syndrome is reduced as you tighten the suspension. All other gathered end hammocks work the opposite way.

I learned this the hard way... got my netless SB and thought I knew how to hang it... on the third night, it occurred to me that Darby always looked too tight to me, so I tightened mine up, and Ah Ha! Comfort and Bliss!

I think you might get about as flat a lay as can be achieved in a gathered end hammock, if you try the Switchback.

A good second choice might be a Speer, but don't tell anyone... that is a well kept secret.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    without the srl - the sb can be hung tighter , thereby extending the distance between the gathers, and flattening the hammock out. this also slightly increases shoulder squeeze, but not to a point of any noticeable discomfort, rather the opposite for me, in it provides support along my back when side-sleeping.

thats why i like the tttg sb style - the bugnet is not tethered to a given distance- letting you flatten out or sag the hammock as much as you want.

the lay is about as flat as you can get- and the 'ridge' is drastically reduced the tighter you hang the hammock.

imo- the next best option is a simple gathered end and separate bug net- if the noseeum is critical.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Well nothing is flat as a bridge but the swtchbacks are pretty flat for a gather end. Only other I can suggest are the WL Owls. I think you have to try a few and see how they are for you.

S

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    A Switchback is an unusual hammock, because the "cut-across-the-leg" syndrome is reduced as you tighten the suspension. All other gathered end hammocks work the opposite way.

I learned this the hard way... got my netless SB and thought I knew how to hang it... on the third night, it occurred to me that Darby always looked too tight to me, so I tightened mine up, and Ah Ha! Comfort and Bliss!

I think you might get about as flat a lay as can be achieved in a gathered end hammock, if you try the Switchback.

A good second choice might be a Speer, but don't tell anyone... that is a well kept secret.

- MacEntyre
    When you say you tighten it up , hanging you tree straps lower to ground (say 5 feet and then have a 30 degree hang at this point. I a bit confused on this a visual would help.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by russmay View Post
    When you say you tighten it up , hanging you tree straps lower to ground (say 5 feet and then have a 30 degree hang at this point. I a bit confused on this a visual would help.
    I have no visual aid... but tightening up is simple. Since there is no ridgeline, just tighten the suspension, so there is less sag.Doesn't matter how high or low the tree straps are.

It's the same thing as lengthening the ridgeline on a hammock that has one.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    With many of the gathered end hammocks, you can only get a flat lay by going asym. There are a few exceptions like the DD, Clark, SB, BMBH and likely the soon to be released Warbonnet Bridge.

With the SB, you don't want the 30 degree angle coming off the tree. MacEntyre's experience mimic'd mine. I started at 25 degrees and went progressively steeper. After about the third adjustment, I noticed it was getting worse. When I went the other way - really tightening it up (just pulling the straps tighter through the rings), I found it was way more comfortable.

I did notice a little shoulder squeeze, like Rip said, but the SB has tie-outs on all four 'corners' so you can spread it out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast