Images

Sewing Machines?

Looking to do a couple diy projects soon and was wondering what i need to look for in a sewing machine. I dont know the first thing about sewing and hoping grandma has some time to teach me some skills. But I'd like to find a cheap one but want to make sure it has everything i truly need. Any info helps, thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Ramblinrev has a short essay on what to look for in a gear-making machine (which, admittedly, is different than a clothing-making or decorative quilting machine) located here. I found it extremely helpful as a set of guidelines when I decided to upgrade my cheapo WallyWorld machine (for less than what I bought the Wal-Mart machine for!) to a refurbished one that could handle some of the fabrics I wanted to use.

Is there a sewing machine repair shop near you? If so, it's worth going over there (after reading the article to get an idea of whether or not the repair guy is hosing you) and asking the staff to help you out. Be prepared to be specific in your needs; if all you intend on doing is gear making, tell them that. Also, tell them what sorts of materials you intend on using (in addition to hammocks and tarps, I wanted to make a heavy-duty backpack, which influenced my choice of machine).

Also, just in case you missed it, Ramblinrev also has a Gear Making 101 video series that can be found here. I found it extremely helpful with my first few projects (and, honestly, even now).

If you have any specific questions about brand or model, someone here has probably used it at some point. You'd be surprised by the variance in machines represented here.

Images
    cool thanks for the info, I'll check these links out!

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    definitely go the sewing machine shop way.....you will get something way better than what you can pick up at the big box stores and pobably for less money, for gear you basically only need a machine that will do a straight stitch, although a zig zag is nice to have too

also if you have a sewer in the family take them along to help you

thrift stores are another good place to look, most will let you plug the machine and see how it runs if you just ask, another good time to have someone with you that knows a thing or two

the machine i am currently using i picked up at a goodwill type store and it was 100% free, all i did was plug it in and start sewing, been making gear with it for a year now and not a single problem so far *knocks on wood*

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    FLRider is spot on. Ramblinrev stuff is a must read. I prefer the older Singers, pre 1960. They are not hard to find and parts can still be found for them. IF you buy from an individual, make sure to sew with the machine before you purchase. Lots of good buys out there. I prefer a cabinet model over a desk top, if you have room. I now own 2 singer model's 401A and love them.

once you get settled into working with your machine, you'll discover that you "need" a lot fewer features than what you thought. i wouldn't shy away from shopping on craigs list for an "mid-century" machine...if the fly wheel truns freely and motor runs..youre over halfway home and the machines on cl can be cheap ( inexpensive if you prefer)

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    +1 for thrift stores. I found an excellent Singer 201 for 19 bucks. Of course it's "buyer beware" but you can usually return it. I too like the older pre 60's machines. All metal gears and heavy enough to use as boat anchors. They're usually machines that have been sitting in a closet for decades. I made a trade of labor for my second machine (Ramblinrev gave it 2 thumbs up). If your not sure about a certain machine - post here and someone will tell you about it fairly quick. You might find a real gem.

I'm positive there's still gazillions of good machines hiding in closets, attics and garages.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

The cheapest are in the thrift stores but it's risky from a beginner's point of view because you have no idea if the machine is in good condition. Craigslist may be a better bet because there are less junkers. If the machine looks barely used it's probably safe. But you pay $75-80 more?

• + New Posts