MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Oh you lucky dog you, you got two of the experts to comment within the first few post. Good luck to you and your poles. I have been a little on the shy (don't want to say scared cause Im a dude as I pound my chest and give the Tim the toolman Taylor signiture grunt) about using my poles as spreaders.
    You're right and boy do I feel honored! In some ways I too feel a bit nervous about using my poles and right now I've got leki sectioned poles that I do not think would do the trick at all. I'd feel much better with the carbon poles.

I'm thinking that big stick looks neat though! It could be used as a hiking stick or as dedicated spreader bars if I wasn't trying to go gram weenie.

If I were to try using my Leki poles would I need to worry about damaging them? They are the Leki Khumbu Women's poles with three sections and I think I can rig something up for the spread to be 21" wide.
    Last edited by SunshineHiker; 02-25-2012 at 13:53.

I have gotten a no frills netless single layer 1.1oz Nylon bridge with dynaglide suspension and dedicated CF spreaders down to ~13oz. Add a cuben tarp and you could be at ~1.25-1.5#. My CF spreaders weigh ~4oz, so if you use hiking poles anyway, you could save a few.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    I have gotten a no frills netless single layer 1.1oz Nylon bridge with dynaglide suspension and dedicated CF spreaders down to ~13oz. Add a cuben tarp and you could be at ~1.25-1.5#. My CF spreaders weigh ~4oz, so if you use hiking poles anyway, you could save a few.
    Is there a link to your build on this BER? Would be interested in seeing how you put it together!

Cheers

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    BER - Sounds like a sweet setup! Where did you buy your dedicated spreaders from?

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Is there a link to your build on this BER? Would be interested in seeing how you put it together!

Cheers
    Callahan, the hammock was described here. It weighs just over 13 oz when I use my CF spreaders that I described in this thread. Sorry, one mistake I listed above, the fabric was 1.6oz polyester.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Callahan, the hammock was described here. It weighs just over 13 oz when I use my CF spreaders that I described in this thread.
    Perfect! Thanks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    Ber - After looking at the pics your bridge looks pretty close to what I want to make! Living here in GA I really don't need draft blockers on the ends but I am looking for something that might have a little bit more sag but not much. I think all I would have to do to get more sag would be to shorten the spreader length from what you have. Does that sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineHiker View Post
    Ber - After looking at the pics your bridge looks pretty close to what I want to make! Living here in GA I really don't need draft blockers on the ends but I am looking for something that might have a little bit more sag but not much. I think all I would have to do to get more sag would be to shorten the spreader length from what you have. Does that sound right?
    I'm not sure. When I think sag, I think shortening the end to end distance as with a gathered end hammock. Shortening the spreaders will give you more depth, a deeper bathtub so to speak...and potentially more shoulder squeeze....though admittedly I like my bridges quite a bit shallower side to side than some.
    Last edited by BER; 02-25-2012 at 19:18.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    Yes, that's what I was thinking about when I said sag. For most people it means shoulder squeeze but I'm a side sleeper so it doesn't really bother me. In fact something with a bit of a higher side wall tends to just work a little easier as a side sleeper. At the same time I'd like to make it as shallow as is comfy for weight savings so I will probably snag some ideas from your design!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineHiker View Post
    Yes, that's what I was thinking about when I said sag. For most people it means shoulder squeeze but I'm a side sleeper so it doesn't really bother me. In fact something with a bit of a higher side wall tends to just work a little easier as a side sleeper. At the same time I'd like to make it as shallow as is comfy for weight savings so I will probably snag some ideas from your design!
    Try less of a curve on the edge. I made mine 6" in and a second one 4" in. The second one feels a lot deeper. Both hammocks are 54" wide with spreaders at 36".
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast