Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images

Clark lifespan for daily use?

So as fate would have it, after introducing my son to hammock camping he is quite determined to sleep in it every day. I was able to talk the wife into letting me anchor a couple of hooks into his walls and I picked up a GT UL to hang in his room. After two nights of restless sleep and multiply tweeks to the hang of the UL(funny cause I can't be in it for more than 15 min and it's off to la la land for me.) my son finally asked if he could try the NX 150 in his room. I was reluctant at first due to the high cost of the Clarks but he has always been a very restless sleeper and never feels like he has slept well since being diagnosed type one diabetic 11 years ago. So I gave in and replaced the UL with the NX 150 a few nights ago and he seams to sleep better than he has in years.

So my question after all that is this. How long with daily use will his Clark Hammock last? His comfort is obviously important and we have tried several beds to alleviate his restless sleep to no avail. I would be sure that there is not another hammock that could outlast the Clark due to it's Bomber construction but wonder what the lifespan truly should be.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My guess (all it is) is that it will last at least 2 years of constant use. The fabric is really all there is to worry about and Ed Speer posted some ridiculous life span of one of his hammocks that was slept in nightly...way more than 2 years. Given that Clarks use a heavier fabric than the Speer hammocks do, I would venture the Clark fabric will outlast the Speer fabric. Then, of course, I subtract a few years because he is young and we all know what youth does to durability.

Might consider making one from heavy cotton. The basic Clark hammock "bed" should be very easy to replicate. That would leave your camping hammock yours, provide a hammock for your child that is easily washed, and prolong the life of your $400 Clark.
    Trust nobody!

I would say a long time. If he only wears nice soft bed clothes in it. Nothing ruff or sharp on him that will wear the fabric.

Jason

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    I went over all he do's and dont's with him today and let him know how long his hammock lasts is up to him. I did the same thing with his high end BMX bike after I told him how much it cost and related that with how many PS 3 stations he could buy with the same amount and it still looks great 2 yrs later. I just love how much he loves it and can't bring myself to put a stop to such a good thing.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 w/ ridgeline & NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    Call Spencer over at Clark.

I've never asked for custom work, but he's very knowledgeable and helpful. He might just be able to make a hammock bed without the Clark accessories at a lower cost.

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    I considered doing something like that but my boy really likes pulling the weather shield up and going to sleep black out style. I think this may have something to do with his sleeplessness, not being able to get his room dark enough. Maybe I could try black out blinds and see if this helps him sleep as well.

I'm actually headed up to Salt Lake City in the next couple of weeks(it's only 3.5 hrs away) and had planned on stopping in to the Clark shop and trying out a Vertex with the wife. If it goes well I may come home with my 3rd Clark. Cross your fingers for me!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    ...but my boy really likes pulling the weather shield up and going to sleep black out style.
    Also keeps you safe from the Boogeyman...HUGE BONUS!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    I considered doing something like that but my boy really likes pulling the weather shield up and going to sleep black out style. I think this may have something to do with his sleeplessness, not being able to get his room dark enough. Maybe I could try black out blinds and see if this helps him sleep as well.

I'm actually headed up to Salt Lake City in the next couple of weeks(it's only 3.5 hrs away) and had planned on stopping in to the Clark shop and trying out a Vertex with the wife. If it goes well I may come home with my 3rd Clark. Cross your fingers for me!
    I know a couple guys with real problems sleeping when there's too much light in the room. Darkening the room up could well be the ticket to his sleeping better.

Call first so he'll have one set up when you get there. And bring your wallet because you're going to leave with a new hammock!

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    Yeah I'm sure your right about the trip to Clark. I will call ahead to make sure they have one set up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    Yeah I'm sure your right about the trip to Clark. I will call ahead to make sure they have one set up.
    That's how I got the NX-250. When SWMBO realized that sleeping on the ground is for the dogs, she wanted a Clark to match my NX-200. Since we were going to be in SLC for a motorcycle gathering we set up an appointment to look at the 200.

Those sneaky, sneaky salesfolk had set up some hideous conestoga wagon looking hammock in front of the beautiful NX-200. Being slightly claustrophobic, SWMBO fell right in love with the 250 and that was all there was to it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast