Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ MT3
    Suspension
    Web straps

Underquilts are the boom! Thank you HF!

I've been a hanger for about two years now. So I'm some where between a newbie and a veteran when it comes to hanging. Most of my hangs in the winter were with a pad and sleeping bag. Normally my feet would get cold, but I had solved that with down bootys. I've hung out in -6 degree temp during a Boy Scout Winter survival course. So I'm good with getting my kit right for most weather.

I recently purchase a Down UnderQuilt from Happy_Hanger here on HF. It was the JRB the MT3, and 'ho my goodness' what a difference that makes.

Two nights ago I hung my WBBB to test it out this new gear. I have a nice hammock hanger I use in my backyard, that was build by a friend. I live in town in a townhouse, so I have no trees in my backyard. The temp was 30 degrees at 6:00 pm and I tied on my 72 inch UQ for the first time.

To my complete amazement, it was like laying on a heated waterbed. The quilt generated a stead heat on my back that was both soothing and extremely comfortable. The edges wrapped to the left and right of a my shoulders, extended 3 to 4 inches past my shoulders on both side. This meant no more cold shoulders. The foot box was completely surrounded by the down, with about 3 inches extending past my toes. With this UQ you can cinch up both ends to get a good fit. I could feel the heat around my cotton sock covered feet. All of this without a pad to wrestle around to find the right spot.

Plus, I could move around. I laid straight and was warm. I curled up on my side and didn't encounter a cold spot. That was a surprise that I didn't expect. Freedom.. I almost shouted it out like Mel Gibson in Braveheart.

I was dress in everyday work clothes for the office I work at when I started this test. I had just tossed on a jacket, snow pants and boots to shovel the WI snow out of the way so I could setup my stand and get the hammock hung. So as I laid there, I remove my jacket, boots (leaving only cotton socks) and snow pants. I was warm and cozy. Before I knew what hit me, I had fallen asleep. I woke up 20 minutes later, feeling great.

The temp dropped a couple a degrees and I decided to really give this a test a go. So I changed into my normal winter sleeping attire (long johns, wool socks and a down cap) went back out with a 30 degree down sleeping bag as my TQ, and spent the next 3 hours being cozy and watching the clouds and stars go by.

All I can say is WOW! I'm never going back to a pad again.

Thank you HF for teaching me about UQ. I owe it all to you guys for being an awesome resource for making my nights in the woods a thing I want to do all the time, no matter what the season.
    RBDodger
    Aka - Roger-Dodger
    Backpacker w/QRP Gear - Schofield WI
    -------------
    Above all else, it should begin and end with HONOR!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Grizz said it best a few years ago when he said something along the lines of 'Pads will keep you from being cold in a hammock. Underquilts will keep you warm in the hammock'. I think that sums up the difference between the two quite nicely.

Welcome to the world of downy goodness. Enjoy your nap!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Freeeeeeeedom hahahaha thats hilarious.

Awesome to hear. I am about to buy my first UQ. Been thinking of a Te-Wa breeze. I can not wait to feel that comfort.

Now just to convert my mummy sleeping bag to a TQ, or win the lottery and buy one, and BAM! I am all set.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ MT3
    Suspension
    Web straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    Now just to convert my mummy sleeping bag to a TQ, or win the lottery and buy one, and BAM! I am all set.
    Man I totally understand. I have a rack full of sleeping bags of all makes and models. It is a hard thing to go out and buy a TQ with those just sitting there.

Most of my bags are synthetic bags, due to all of the ground camping I did. But I have become a down fan, and with being off the ground I find I can keep my down dry even in the worst ran storm.

So I'm debating the idea of removing the zipper out of one.
    RBDodger
    Aka - Roger-Dodger
    Backpacker w/QRP Gear - Schofield WI
    -------------
    Above all else, it should begin and end with HONOR!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yea, I wondered what all the hype was about, when the $12 CCF pad worked great & the UQs were 'so' expensive. That was until I kept slipping off the pad one night in 40* weather. I've now got 4 of them. LOL.

I think you've just about got me convinced.. now to just come up with the money to buy one for me and my BF... and sort through all the options! Full-length..3/4...sewn-through...baffles....aaahh!

• + New Posts