Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Member Carolina TrailStomper's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

1st hammock purchase

hello from thomasville nc. I am looking at purchasing a hammock to get started. I have been looking at the ENO Doublenest hammock. I can buy this for $69 @ REI. I have a few questions for the veterans. Is this a good hammock to start with? I am 6' and weigh about 250. Will this hammock be comfortable for my size? Also will this work with a whoopie sling and dutch clips? Thank you all for any help you may be able to offer. I have my first trip scheduled for Memorial weekend in NC.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    The Doublenest is a large hammock. Should do fine for your size/weight requirements. It's 80 inches wide and 118 inches long. From my perspective, that's massive. Normal size for a one-man hammock varies, but most are in the 60-inch x 108 inch arena (these are very general numbers and they vary by manufacturer). Ultralight hammocks can be as narrow as 48 inches wide, again with about the same length.

I don't own a Doublenest, but a friend got it as his first hammock and he's pleased with it. He's since moved into lighter gear, but he was pleased with it.

Hope this helps.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Images
    The ENO Doublenest hammock was my first hammock and IMO it would fit you very well.

I highly recommend you cut the heavy line that run thru the channel ends and replace with whoopies and tree straps.
    It's a great hammock until bug season arrives.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    The double nest should work out just fine you. There will be a couple items you'll need pick up to make it fully funtcional and maybe a little more user friendly. A pair of tree straps will be a must and I would strongly suggest not going with the eno slap straps as they are rather stretchy. Another one to look at that is ready to go out of the box is the warbonnet travel w/ the adjustable webbing suspension. As seen here

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    The Eno DN is a great hammock. Do a search, you can get it for a better price and with free shipping. Don't bother with the Eno Slap Strap though...IMO it is terrible. The bug net is very nice. Just not the slap straps.

Hammock
    WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner
    I just recently purchased my first hammock, and i also had simular concerns as you do, as im 6'4" 250lbs. I looked at that hammock as well, but decided to spend a little more and get a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip Hammock. While Hennessy hammocks get hated on in these forums for some reason, they are insanely easy to setup, have an integrated bug net and rain fly, and the deluxe is rated to 300lbs and is very spacious. I have slept out in my backyard the last 3 nights in it and slept as good as I would have in my own bed.

I went with that option for a few reasons.

One, for the price ($180 with snake skins on eBay) it was one of the cheaper options for a complete system (suspension, bug net, rain fly, ridge line, hammock). The warbonnet system seems to be nicer, and is also made in the USA...but to get the same item would be twice the price and was more than I was looking to spend on my new hobby, for my first purchase.

I went with the Hennessy Zip version of the deluxe because the one complaint I kept seeing was the weird way the traditional Hennesy's have you enter - through a Velcro slit in the bottom. The zip version fixes that and you enter the hammock by unzipping the bug netting and sitting down, as you would any other hammock.

While many members of this forum pride themselves in many complicated ways that they have devised to setup their lines to have the perfect hang, that is not as applicable to someone buying their first hammock. I liked that the Hennessy had these items already done, and everything was self contained. No special mod'd lines, 10 guy lines to run, multiple ridge lines, magical knots or lashings, etc. Not bashing here...just making an observation from a third party perspective.

I did change the lashing system used by Hennessy to make it even easier to setup. Adding a carabiner and two descending rings to each side where the line meets the "tree hugger" allows you to do a simple Garda hitch that self locks, making setup almost instantaneous.

Weight...here is where most people get hung up. The deluxe is 3lbs 5oz in weight, then adding the carabiners, and rings gives you a total of somewhere around 4lbs. While others maybe weight weenies, guys of our size can easily carry that and not even notice the weight. My pack feels so light carrying my current setup ever since I changed to hammock camping. When I was in the military we regularly carried packs around 80lbs for miles. A 20-30lbs winter 3 day pack should be nothing for a larger man to carry. That same bag for your memorial day trip will be in the teens without all the warm weather gear.

Hope this helps, and have fun!

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm the "friend" jbrianb mentioned. Not a thing wrong with it, but the weight. Like others have mentioned, change to whoopies and dump the boat anchor carabiners and it's shaves tons off.

Almost forgot, I totally agree about not getting the slap straps. They stretch more than you think. The only reason I still have mine is to hang my girls hammocks while I'm testing gear in the backyard.
    Last edited by tncamper; 02-25-2012 at 12:11. Reason: added about slap straps
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

I'll touch on something, I dont beleive anyone else has mentioned.

It may be to your advantage to consider a DL (double layer) hammock, one in which you can add a pad to increase better insulation.

Two Hammock companies, that come to mind is Wilderness Logic Night Owl or Light Owl which is made in Thomasville, right where you live and the other is WarBonnet Traveler, made in Colorado.

Both are a bit more than the ENO Doublenest. I beleive the Eno is not available in DL. only doublenest, meaning wider. The WL is quite wide

Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    I bought a Hammock Bliss double recently and the thing is huge. I'm only 6'1" and 197 but I could fit three of me in this thing. Paid I think $42 total on evil-bay including shipping. Its a single layer. 6'8'' x 9'10'' weight limit 350lb It says 100inches of climbing rope on each end is included. Mine didn't have half that. Not sure why. Mine is the tan edge, green middle. I immediatly used the "climbing rope" to make loops for ring/strap suspension. The rope is pretty thick, but for now its fine.
    I can get VERY sideways easily, and I like the fact that the "extra" fabric can be cocooned around me either covering up, or just leaving my face poking out to see. I've thought about installing a zipper, or maybe toggles to allow the cocoon part to stay without holding it. Ok, Now I'm long-winded.

Hammock
    DIY, Hammock Bliss, WBBB for Mrs.
    Tarp
    Superfly and DIY
    Insulation
    Mt WA 3, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm 6', 220lbs (mostly in the gut) and recently purchased the Hammock Bliss No-See-Um-No-More for $65. It has an integrated bug net and, as other have mentioned, I swapped the rope for whoopies. Very nice hammock and I believe is made of the same body material as the ENO; parachute nylon. I often have my 2 children and I in the hammock when we go to the park (~300lbs) and it's been rock solid.

I would say it would be hard to go wrong with either of the two.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast