Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Locked Brummel

Or just tie an overhand knot or bowline knot for taking loads.
    Last edited by HamMike; 02-25-2012 at 21:02.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    To avoid undoing the adjustable portion you can use a McDonald Brummel. Its a way to do a locked brummel when you only have access to one end.
    You could also just rebury the end, milk the bury and put a few stitches to keep the bury from coming out. The constriction on the plain bury is strong enough to keep the fixed eye and the stitches are merely to keep it together when not loaded. My preference would be the McDonald brummel.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    It came apart because it was improperly formed to start with. The bury was not locked and/or it was too short. You may not have enough line to make the bury long enough, in which case, I would start over with new line.

If there is enough material for a proper bury, make your loop, and stitch it securely.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Thanks all. The info and pics are good learning tools for me. I'll save for reference when I make/repair my own. After closer inspection, I'm sure Oldgringo is right on the money. I'll order some new ones from Opie (these weren't his) and some line to begin the learnin' of making my own.

Much appreciated,

Home Run

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    To avoid undoing the adjustable portion you can use a McDonald Brummel. Its a way to do a locked brummel when you only have access to one end.

I've done one locked brummel and then the other end without any problems but having to pull the adjustable side through the side of the braid would prob be pretty tough. In wich case you would have to do undo the adjustable end to accomplish the locked brummel. Thanks for the info on a McDonald Brummel, I'll check it out.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    I've done one locked brummel and then the other end without any problems but having to pull the adjustable side through the side of the braid would prob be pretty tough. In wich case you would have to do undo the adjustable end to accomplish the locked brummel. Thanks for the info on a McDonald Brummel, I'll check it out.
    For now I'm going to just knot it (like you suggested.) Fortunatly, the discovery was made in a method that didn't involve any vertical distance change!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Home Run View Post
    For now I'm going to just knot it (like you suggested.) Fortunatly, the discovery was made in a method that didn't involve any vertical distance change!
    Thats how the fixed loop was when I got my WBBB.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    I just don't understand what the issue is here. Magical as the McDonald Brummel, any mere mortal civilian with a ball point pen can open a hole in Amsteel bury large enough to pass the fully- assembled long end back through. I will grant that it is advisable that you try not NOT to tighten up the portion of the line that will soon become a sleeve for the bury. But, but that mistake is also easily overcome.

If you just don't have it in you to do a locked Brummel, then don't do it as long as you have space and ability to bury 7-8 inches tapered line and you are willing to do a thorough stitching in two dimensions to keep the bury from slipping out when not under load. Just like Old Gringo said. Good nylon or polyester thread is fine for the stitching. No talent needed here either.

• + New Posts