WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images

Trip report (FL): 2012 Sherpa-Con (LWRSF Sherpa Hang)

I am going to get things started with an abbreviated trip report and will leave the greater detail and pictures to others. Long story short... WE HAD A BLAST!!

We started arriving at about 10:30 on Friday with emcee, olddog, grinder, and samsara (and Scooby the dog that lives with samsara) heading out to the camp site first along the scenic trail that is about a two mile hike to the camp site. The camp set up began with two dutch ovens (a 12" and a 10") a few camp chairs and a search for more firewood. Soon happycamaper and his son (forgot his forum name) showed up with some store bought firewood and then headed out for more that they had in their car. The multiple trips would be a theme with lilricky as the raining champion for most trips along the trail.

More folks filtered in and we soon had a dozen people including three from Canada. Scooby got dropped off at home (another trip for samsara after two others before the official hike even began) and then the steaks started hitting the grill. There were steaks, sausages, tinfoil baked potatoes, tinfoil veggies, and other delicious creations to eat. The festivities really began when olddog made a big peach cobbler in the dutch oven for everyone.

The next morning we started climbing out of our hammocks to a nice campfire... I mean cooking fire. There is a burn ban in the county for everything but cooking fires, fortunately we were almost constantly cooking on our fire anyway so we were legal. We made possibly the best mountain man breakfast anyone has ever had (maybe we were just that hungry), especially when mixed with some of olddog's delicious grits. We relaxed for a while around the cooking fire, trying to let all of that great food settle.

About 11 we headed out for our hike to the lakeside camp site and a trip to "the cypress trees". These were ones we visited during the fall hang but many more got to join in this time. We came back to the camp site to find a few more folks that couldn't make it on Friday and our numbers got up to the 18 mark. We had lunch, napped, relaxed, visited, watched lilricky do trip after trip out to bring more stuff, and relaxed some more.

That evening everyone made their dinners and punctuated it with another world famous olddog cobbler. Everyone sat around the cooking fire and had a great time. I think sometimes our laughter could be heard for miles! It was a good time. Eventually everyone headed off to their hammocks for another peaceful nights sleep. This night would be better than the previous because it was quite a bit cooler (it got up to 87 on Friday and didn't cool off near enough that night).

Sunday morning found everyone telling about the strange bird that they heard flying around camp clicking and making a strange noise. I think it was either lilricky or Melissa trying to find their hammock again

The mountain man breakfast for Sunday is going to be legendary. It had 54 eggs, 4 bell peppers, 2 onions, a pound or two of sausage, and a pound of cheese. It came out like a french chef can only dream about! We all ate too much then packed up for the final trip back out to the road.

I know that I had a great time and I think everyone agreed. We are already planning on Sherpa-Con 2013. There is plenty of room at the camp site for many more people... so don't be shy and come on down next year!

Dave
    Last edited by samsara; 02-26-2012 at 14:14.
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Man, sounds like a great time, I am gonna do my best to make it the next one!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbobshinigin View Post
    Man, sounds like a great time, I am gonna do my best to make it the next one!
    I had a lot of fun even though I spent most of Friday humping in stuff like a beast of burden. I made four trips out and back with three of those four loaded down with something very heavy (huge chunk of firewood, 12" dutch oven, overloaded backpack)

Dave

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Dave,
    Thanks for hosting. This was definitely a different type of camping from what I'm used to. It wasn't exactly a hiking or car camping trip but some of the best parts of each. Like every other HF event there was no shortage of good food.

There was an episode of "HF Cribs" Saturday afternoon. I got to check out a few models of hammock and tarps I'd never seen before including a bridge and OldDog's complete DIY setup (very nice).

This campsite was great. A huge oak/pine hammock with lots of open area and nicely spaced trees, just right for hanging. The nearby creek was flowing cool/cold and clear (just ask OldDog) and the skeeters even stayed away for the most part. This will definitely be on my to-do list for 2013.....

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    What a fantastic Weekend!
    Dave, thanks for arranging this hang. Will definately be looking forward to next year. Even though Shannan's video showed the beauty of this location it couldn't show just how great the site was. From old hammock family friends to some our newer forum members to our new Canadian friends, I feel all where impressed with what we managed to pull off at the 1st Sherpa Hang.
    The food was unbelievable considering that it had to all be carried in. Yeah lilricky set the record for distance covered. He must have made 8 to 10 round trips over the weekend. And what food! It was their own fault if anyone went hungry. Sunday morning's Mountian Man Breakfast was a thing of beauty, I think the final count was 48 eggs, 2 lbs of sausage, 2 peppers,1 onion, and 1 lb of cheese. I'm still working on the cobbler receipe but all was eaten.
    I'll be posting some pics as soon as i can figure out this new camera.

Also found a cell phone or camera case on the trail out. If you lost one give me a PM.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

As a noob, I enjoyed the trip report, would of liked to be there, however just got out of hospital last week after being there for 2 months. Next week I start physical therapy, so not really sure when I will be ready to have fun with you folks. However I look forward to it.

Would of liked to see the differnt hammock setups and lines used to attach to the trees.
    Was under quilts needed , and what temperature rating top quilt did most use

Hammock
    12' Dutchware Gathered
    Tarp
    12' Dutch's Bonded
    Insulation
    W Logics UQ 40F
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I want to thank everyone out there this weekend showing this newbie all their equipment and making a newbie feel very comfortable. A great bunch of guys and gal! And guess what was waiting for me when I got home, my new hammock.
    Count me in on next months hang in the Green Swamp!!!!
    Thanks again to everyone out there!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by O-Boy View Post
    I want to thank everyone out there this weekend showing this newbie all their equipment and making a newbie feel very comfortable. A great bunch of guys and gal! And guess what was waiting for me when I got home, my new hammock.
    Count me in on next months hang in the Green Swamp!!!!
    Thanks again to everyone out there!
    Glad you are ready to join in the fun! Did you lose the lens cap to your camera? We all thought it must have been yours and it was sent with MAD777 (he lives in West Palm) to try and get it back out your way.

I am working on the weekend of the next hang but hope to see you again on another hang in the future. I'll be having more down here starting in the fall when it starts cooling off again... plus Sherpa Hang 2013!

Dave

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    What a fantastic Weekend!
    Dave, thanks for arranging this hang. Will definately be looking forward to next year. Even though Shannan's video showed the beauty of this location it couldn't show just how great the site was. From old hammock family friends to some our newer forum members to our new Canadian friends, I feel all where impressed with what we managed to pull off at the 1st Sherpa Hang.
    The food was unbelievable considering that it had to all be carried in. Yeah lilricky set the record for distance covered. He must have made 8 to 10 round trips over the weekend. And what food! It was their own fault if anyone went hungry. Sunday morning's Mountian Man Breakfast was a thing of beauty, I think the final count was 48 eggs, 2 lbs of sausage, 2 peppers,1 onion, and 1 lb of cheese. I'm still working on the cobbler receipe but all was eaten.
    I'll be posting some pics as soon as i can figure out this new camera.

Also found a cell phone or camera case on the trail out. If you lost one give me a PM.
    I would say that you are close enough on the cobbler recipe for everyone involved but I'm also reasonably sure that you will have plenty of willing volunteers to taste the next versions

One of the egg crackers (MAD777) said it was 54 eggs (3 18 packs) and the veggie cutter (me) did 4 peppers and 2 onions. It all ended in one amazing breakfast.

I can't wait for the pics

Dave

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HNO Sock
    Insulation
    HG/HNO/UGQ
    Suspension
    Not Lately
    Images
    Great time, Dave. Thanks for setting it up. Fun time with lots of stories!

Reedy Creek

Mountain Men and Women

Dude.....Nice Jugs!

Samsara's first ride.

Snow drift.

Bilbo's house.

Islander and Mad admiring Olddog's sherpa

How come he had a bigger load on the way out???

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast