AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Retire! No way!
    As a matter of fact, your pineapple upside down cake was discussed more than once around the fire!
    Dang! I can't retire? Well alright then, but somebody gonna have to bribe me with whoopie slings or something! (only kidding)

I am thinking its great that the Old Dog Fl. Pulk sled is taking off! Great ideas often get a following! Now that is neat stuff!

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hennesy Asym
    Samsara;
    Great trip report! It would be really cool if there was a community like that more accessible to my location. Really liked the pics and video. Very interested in the fat bike setup that you briefly showed in the video. Have been thinking about doing something like that myself as I am a mountain biker more than a camper. Would be awesome to combine both worlds more. Have done one trip like that before, but a fat bike/hammock combo would really make it nice!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    The generic can be Florida Pulk but mine will be the Sherpa. Just like the sherpas of Tibet it will carry more than you think it will and is as nimble as a goat. Now the sugar sand may cause the Jack@$$ pushing it to blow a little but even walking in that stuff is rough.

Jiff24 the fat wheel bike is a creation of Tstain and is awesome. You may be able to get with him on the particulars. After our hike I watched him ride out over some rough ground with ease.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiff24 View Post
    Samsara;
    Great trip report! It would be really cool if there was a community like that more accessible to my location. Really liked the pics and video. Very interested in the fat bike setup that you briefly showed in the video. Have been thinking about doing something like that myself as I am a mountain biker more than a camper. Would be awesome to combine both worlds more. Have done one trip like that before, but a fat bike/hammock combo would really make it nice!
    We are lucky to have a VERY active hammock group down here in FL (I would also say it would be hard to find a better bunch of people too). The extra fat tires are necessary down here for him to be able to ride on the sand (we have stuff we call sugar sand... it is just like it sounds, picture riding/hiking on white sugar). His name on here is Tstain so if you have questions you can contact him.

As far as having your own hangs out there my advice would be to become familiar with a forest near you and then just put it out here that you are going to plan an event. To paraphrase a movie, "if you plan it they will come". They may not all show up the first time but if you plan a good event then more and more people will come and you can do it more often. I'm from eastern WA originally (Pullman) so I know that you have plenty of amazing places available and there is already one thread started for a backpacking/hanging/fishing trip this fall out there.

The important thing is to get out, hang, and have fun

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Two carts!? A scorpion in a cooler!? Dutch ovens hiked into the site!? A pygmy rattle snake!? Over four dozen eggs consumed!? Say it ain't so!!!

That looks like an outstanding hang.

Unfortunately, I was unable to make it. I am glad everyone had a great time. I will have to make the next one. Thanks for the trip report.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    We missed you Great White! We hiked to see the ancient cypress trees, but this time we came at them from the north. Hope to see you in the Richloam in March!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    GW, missed you at this one. Dry ground all the way out to the trees this trip.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    tx for Sawyer Squeeze link, Samsara.

Olddog, I must agree that Sherpa is an awesome name.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    Olddog, I must agree that Sherpa is an awesome name.
    SandyK you would be amazed at what all was loaded on the Sherpa. Sure wouldn't have wanted it on my back. Had a tree down across the trail at one point which was around 24" high. Rocked the front wheel up on the log and with a little help from Grinder it rolled right over the log. We'll probably have half a dozen Florida Pulks at this hang next year. I know samsara and lilricky could use one to cut down on those return trips to their vehicles.

Expecting the Sawyer Squeeze arrival soon. Found a good deal at Highwater filters http://www.highwaterfilters.com/ ,it was $17 off Monday. Just checked and it's $10.00 off now, might still be a good deal. Just found a coupon for 25% off. Enter promo code HWF25OFF.
    Last edited by olddog; 03-01-2012 at 15:08. Reason: add on

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi all, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for a great time. Food was fantastic. It was actually a very educational experience for all of us, Kim learned all about spiders thanks to the other Mark, I wasn't going to break the news about all that glitters (on the ground at night) isn't gold. Seems one of them wanted to spend some of his final moments inside her hammock as she went to bed the first night.

Both the scenic route in and the group hike were fantastic and gave her some photos for her homework assignment, wonder if we could somehow write the trip off as educational purposes....hmmmmm??

I have to say though that I have no idea how you guys manage to stay up as long as you do, all I thought about once it got dark was climbing into that incredibly comfy Blackbird of mine. I've never been that excited about going to bed before. That is by far the best outdoor sleep I have ever had. Although I'm glad to be home, I already miss hanging.

I'm only able to upload 10 pics so I've picked some random shots. I'd be happy to share more with everyone as we quite a few pics from the trip. Hope to meet everyone again on the next big hang, I think we might be spending next New Years down in beautiful Florida hanging around.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast