DIY Gathered end w/bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Step tquq
    Suspension
    UCR/Tree Hugger

My new insulated bridge

Finally finished my new bridge, it's a combination of ideas gathered here with some modifications of my own. Haven't spent a night in it yet but I've tried it in the yard and I can't wait to get it out!

These first pics are of my hiking pole mods. For the handle end I bought a 3/4" aluminum bushing from HD, a screw 3/4" longer than the one in the handle that holds the wrist strap, and a screw tip protector. On the tip side I bought a 1/2"x1/2" plumbing fitting and some washers that didn't quite fit over the barbs. I then used a vice and socket to press fit the washer over the barbs and put some vinyl tubing over the top of the washer. Works perfectly!

Next is a pic of my UCR. On my first hammock I used whoopies then I saw Sgt. Rock's Ghost Hammock and his UCR's. I got my idea from what he did, only instead of using zip ties and tubing I made a fixed loop on the loose end and ran a prussik loop through it to keep the tension on the unloaded end of the UCR.

The next couple of pics show the hammock hanging before and after adding bugnet and built in uq, and a pic of it in the stuff sack. I put a buttonhole in the bottom of the sack to run my UCR out of with an elastic pouch on the outside to stow it.

I got the idea for attaching the uq via strips of nylon rolled in to the webbing from JerryW. For the uq I used one layer of 3Oz Primaloft and one layer of 4Oz. I sandwhiched it between a layer of 1.1 ripstop and some no-see-um. I then put in quilting loops before attaching it to the hammock body so as not to put any holes in the hammock body itself.

Of course much thanks to GrizzlyAdams for his videos, the main source for how I made my hammock.

I've definately got the diy bug and I think I've passed it to my brother, who has ordered materials to try some stuff for himself!!

Thanks all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Great job, a lot of work and thought went into that and thanks for the pics!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL & Traveler 1.1SL
    Tarp
    HG Hex & Superfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Thanks for sharing ! And that is a great looking hammock! I have been thinking about making a bridge for myself. But, would be a big project for my first DIY project.
    Thanks again,
    I have never failed, I have been very Successful finding out what does Not work.

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great looking build!

I must say to be cautious as you determine the loads on the hiking poles. Mine worked pretty well short, but when I tinkered around with lengthening them some, one of them sheared apart in a rather dramatic fashion. . .

Look forward to hearing the results of your overnight test!

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Welcome to the minority of bridge hammock users, great looking project. I like seeing different solutions for hiking poles. Keep us updated after an overnight. I am interested in seeing how the screw in the handle holds up.

You really did a good job with the project including attaching the insulated part JerryW style. You know you can't build just one

Hammock
    WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    Looks fantastic! I too am in the planning stages of a bridge, just wondering if you have demintions. Arc depth, width at the head\foot, spreader (hiking pole) length etc... I'm still gathering info and would like as much data as possible. I intend to average opinions and results before starting to cut and sew. Again looks great.
    I think that I shall never see
    A poem as lovely as a tree.... Joyce Kilmer "Trees"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    nice work on the hammock in general, and in the mods for hiking poles in particular! I've spent a long time wandering up and down the isles in Menards, Lowes, and Home Depot looking for hardward geehaws that would help in a hiking pole suspension. You've come up with a winner.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    That is a thing of beauty there, Smars! Some good thinking on rigging with hardware from HD, and great built in UQ idea. This has made me think for the first time that putting some Climashield or Primaloft down in a pad pocket- like the one on a JRB bridge- might be a way to go. All depending on how much room was left over in the pad pocket after getting in.

Can you give some more detail about "I got the idea for attaching the uq via strips of nylon rolled in to the webbing from JerryW.", or provide a link? Not quite following your meaning.

Seems to be a lot of bridge threads lately!

Very, very nice. Does your bug net zip all the way around? It looks to be fully detachable.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end w/bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Step tquq
    Suspension
    UCR/Tree Hugger
    Thanks everybody for the comments, always good to hear feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    Thanks for sharing ! And that is a great looking hammock! I have been thinking about making a bridge for myself. But, would be a big project for my first DIY project.
    Thanks again,
    A bridge was my first project, just spend countless hours watching Grizz's videos. You can do it if you take your time and do your research. My first didn't have the prettiest stitching but it worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by MadRacDad View Post
    Looks fantastic! I too am in the planning stages of a bridge, just wondering if you have demintions. Arc depth, width at the head\foot, spreader (hiking pole) length etc... I'm still gathering info and would like as much data as possible. I intend to average opinions and results before starting to cut and sew. Again looks great.
    7 1/2" arc depth
    36"head w/ 51" of fabric beneath
    26"foot w/ 42" of fabric beneath
    33" center width
    81" body length

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    nice work on the hammock in general, and in the mods for hiking poles in particular! I've spent a long time wandering up and down the isles in Menards, Lowes, and Home Depot looking for hardward geehaws that would help in a hiking pole suspension. You've come up with a winner.
    It took forever to find the parts to make my poles work. I originally tried some wire nuts and washers I had at home but they weren't up to the task. I think they were cheap. I spent probably close to an hour wandering Home Depot to find these parts and am very pleased with the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That is a thing of beauty there, Smars! Some good thinking on rigging with hardware from HD, and great built in UQ idea. This has made me think for the first time that putting some Climashield or Primaloft down in a pad pocket- like the one on a JRB bridge- might be a way to go. All depending on how much room was left over in the pad pocket after getting in.

Can you give some more detail about "I got the idea for attaching the uq via strips of nylon rolled in to the webbing from JerryW.", or provide a link? Not quite following your meaning.

Seems to be a lot of bridge threads lately!
    I got the idea from JerryW in a thread I started that he replied to. He just said he attached a 3" strip of fabric in with the webbing (along the curve.) After I made the hammock body, I hung the hammock and made a template of the shape of the endcaps to make the strips for the ends. The strips down the sides I used the fall-off from when I cut out the hammock body. I posted another pic of the body cut out and the strips. It was a pinning nightmare, but I rolled the webbing along the curve, along with bias tape for the zipper and the 3" strips. After the quilt was assembled, I pinned it to the strips with the good side of the quilt to the underside of the hammock and sewed three sides. I then flipped it right-side out and closed up the end. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Very, very nice. Does your bug net zip all the way around? It looks to be fully detachable.
    It's zipped three sides but can be unzipped, rolled and lashed off to the side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast