Claytor Jungle versus Bear Mtn Bridge

Does anyone own or have tried both of these hammocks? Which is your favorite and why?

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAT View Post
    Does anyone own or have tried both of these hammocks? Which is your favorite and why?
    all i can say is the claytor jungle hammocks rocks.i love itneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Cut
    I've got both on the way to answer that same question........

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Love your trailname.......you might just be a future bridge hammock sleeper with a name like that. I have both. Just got a Claytor JH yesterday and laid in it once. I'm still getting the modified suspension issues taken care of. I pretty much knew that the JH was not going to sleep better for me than the JRB bridge cause of all the somewaht similar hammocks I've used before. The JRB bridge is a "finicky" hammock if you will.
    Some really love it and others really dislike it. Much has to do with your size and perception of squeeze. It is much better tailored for the slimmer built hanger. The Jacks are supposed to be coming out with a larger bridge model sometime next year.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I have both. I have had a few Claytor Jungles and still like them very much, but I have to say I like the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge better than anything. I have actually sold all but two of my Claytors.
    I have fairly broad shoulders and weight over 200, five foot ten and I really like the way it lays. You may not be one of us that really like it, but I don't think you will dislike the Claytor Jungle for sure. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Here are a few paragraphs I wrote in another thread about my new beloved bridge,
    "I have had a few Claytors, and in my opinion there is not better hammock EXCEPT for the JRB Bridge. I just got mine yesterday. Friends have been over today to look at it too. One of my friends said it was the best hammock he had seen so far. I love Claytors, but if you like the way the Bridge lays you will have a hard time deciding maybe. I think I have decided....I like the bridge!!!!
    It is a lighter alternative too by about a half pound or so, but it is going to take a large tarp. I have a large tarp (and the Claytor needs a large one too).
    I love the double bottom in both the Claytor and the Bridge. But the bridge uses a pad with even less trouble than the Claytor since it is not buckled anywhere. I ordered two 1/4 inch by 26 wide (after cutting) pads from Speer yesterday. I will not even really need an underquilt with the Bridge, but if I do want to use one, it's like the Bridge was made especially for the JRB underquilts. Really cool fit.
    I will use either one or two 1/4 inch pads with the Bridge and add a third if I want to stay with pads in the winter, but I will probably use the JRB Rag Mountain in winter with the possibility of throwing in a pad if needed for extra cold weather.
    I get no shoulder squeeze at all in the bridge and I have pretty broad shoulders. I weigh 210 and and am 5'10".
    It was nice of Pan to call me at home and explain what I was going to experience in the Bridge. It seems some mistake shoulder squeeze for what may be just the fact that the Bridge has no "spine" going down the center, lenghthwise, like a conventional hammock, especially the HH. The Claytor has this feel too, and it allows the edges of the hammock to flop a bit which can be nice if you want to splay your arms and legs out a bit, but the Bridge actually conforms to your body a full 150 to 170 degrees, nearly halfway around. This means that you may have to cross your arms on top of your chest or hands folded to sleep which I do pretty much anyway. And laying on my side is easy in the Bridge. I put my arm under my pillow just like at home. Awesome!
    The Bridge takes some practice getting out of though. I still haven't perfected a less-than-comical exit from it.
    The bugnet is easily removed and I already altered it by adding loops Claytor-style so it can be lifted with just a short piece of shock cord attached to a spreader and then to the center ring. Works great. I found I only needed the bug net spreader on the head-side.
    I may sew a zipper around three sides of the bugnet so I can leave the bugnet Omni tape on when in mosquito-land. Since the bugnet comes off, the zipper will come off with it, and I can put the zippered opening either side. One of the reasons why I may do this is that the bugnet can sometimes seem like it was made too long for the hammock. This was done to allow for some stretching I guess. I found that if you put on the bugnet from either end and work toward the middle and then make a pleat with the Omni tape in the middle it work well, so far.
    You get the picture? I love this hammock!
    Good luck and welcome to the forum."
    Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts