Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well, picked this up as my first hammock, should have it by friday so i can try it out next weekend if i get a chance. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Plan to replace the rigging. I'm not sure how one is supposed to use the supplied rope, but I'm working on what will be the best way to replace it. I'm thinking taking a short piece of the supplied rope, tie a knot in the end, make a loop 2" down from the knot about 2" in diam. Then gather the end around the now short section that is between the knot and the loop and use a plastic cable tie to secure it below the stitching in the hem of the hammock. Then, take a 12" climbing loop with ring buckles and use a larkshead to attach roughly the same point as the cable tie.

That made no sense to anyone who hasn't made a hammock, but if you understand what I said, does it look like it will work? The loop inside the hammock on each end is to attach the ridgeline to and to also hook a bag for a water bottle or whatever to the end.

The only difference from what y'all may do is that I bought 2 of the $16 hammocks, so I'm going to put them together to have a double bottom (or 2 layer) hammock. Then I'll use grip clips to add side tie-outs. This will be somewhat heavy, but should be comfortable.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    Plan to replace the rigging. I'm not sure how one is supposed to use the supplied rope, but I'm working on what will be the best way to replace it. I'm thinking taking a short piece of the supplied rope, tie a knot in the end, make a loop 2" down from the knot about 2" in diam. Then gather the end around the now short section that is between the knot and the loop and use a plastic cable tie to secure it below the stitching in the hem of the hammock. Then, take a 12" climbing loop with ring buckles and use a larkshead to attach roughly the same point as the cable tie.

That made no sense to anyone who hasn't made a hammock, but if you understand what I said, does it look like it will work? The loop inside the hammock on each end is to attach the ridgeline to and to also hook a bag for a water bottle or whatever to the end.

The only difference from what y'all may do is that I bought 2 of the $16 hammocks, so I'm going to put them together to have a double bottom (or 2 layer) hammock. Then I'll use grip clips to add side tie-outs. This will be somewhat heavy, but should be comfortable.
    If that ridgeline is not structural, no problem. If intended to be structural then make that knot a monkey's fist or something. Something more prosaic would be to put a bowline loop on the other end of that cord (so now you've got loops at both ends) and pass the cord you're running to the ring buckles through that loop. That will keep the ridgeline cord from popping through the whipping.

Grizz (who wants to see pictures of the monkey's fist!)

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Grizz (who wants to see pictures of the monkey's fist!)
    You mean this?... http://www.animatedknots.com/monkeysfist/index.php
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Nah, I've seen that already. I gave Shadowmoss the same link.

I want to see the one she ties.

Grizz

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Here's a mousehead knot...

all the benefits of the monkeyfist and a double bowline combined. I won't print direction for this feat. You can just gasp in wonder.

I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    ahem. Hadn't really thought about the ridgeline pulling the knot through. I'll ponder that. As far as knots, I get Nancye to tie mine. Her husband Bill made her learn knots before he would marry her, back in the day. He is a climber. I will ponder the monkey fist though.

**shadowmoss goes back to the drawing board**

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Wow, that knot looks cool! I might have to try that. I don't really want the larkshead of the coil where the ring buckles are to be anywhere but around the hammock just behind the hems. I think that to hook the ring buckles loop the end of the rope that goes through the whipping would put too much stress on the cable tie(s) when there is weight in the hammock. With the larkshead of the loop to the ring buckles snugged around the same place that the cable tie is holding the whipping seems it would help distribute that stress. My main issue with using the channel like the stock rope does is that it puts the stress of the hammock weight directly on the stitching of the hems.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I got my hammock today. Actually I got two. The king size Ticket To The Moon hammock arrived today also. Will give a report later on this monster hammock.
    Folks for $16 and $3 shipping this double hammock is really nice. Better hurry as I'm sure it wont last. But who knows. It it basically a dead ringer in construction as the Trekilight double I used to own and the TTTM king. Really nice . Great colors.
    A Treklight double will put you back $60

http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/cam...blehammock.cfm

Just noticed the original poster has been banned.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yep looks just like HC4U's pics of the ATHH on his SLS thread and pretty well matches my buddy's ENO DN except for logo tag, color, included hook and $$price.

CC

noticed bull ban the other day
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast