Underquilt for Mayan hammock

I got a wonderful Mayan hammock on a lark in Mexico a couple of years ago and finally managed to set it up this weekend. I'd really love to use it as my primary sleeping arrangement, but we keep our house on the cold side.

I tried rigging up a makeshift underquilt, but it was too heavy and restricted my ability to really stretch out flat.

Its a well made and HUGE hammock. Where would I be able to find an underquilt that would work with its size and construction?

Help!?
    ~signed,
    a novice hanger

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    By far, your best bet will be to make one yourself. You can use very inexpensive materials given that it won't be exposed to outdoor conditions. It will need to be very wide! I'm also assuming you sleep diagonally instead of perpendicularly, which Mayans are very good for. I've never tried making one for any of my Mayans; they are strictly a warm-weather hammock for me and mine. The Brazilians, and Nicaraguans to a lesser degree, have a more set width which makes it a little easier to build a quilt around. The sheer stretchiness of the Mayans may make it a little more difficult.

If DIY isn't your bag, then you might take a look at some of the Large Quilts that Jacks R Better makes and sells. The dimensions would be much more favorable to using as an underquilt for a home-sized hammock.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I bet if you gave your measurements to any of the quilt vendors here they would make you a custom one. Since it will be inside you could even go synthetic and save some $$ but down sure is sweet.

BTW, That's a beautiful hammock!
    Last edited by L.D. Cakes; 02-27-2012 at 16:34. Reason: By the way, That's a beautiful hammock!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

I had rigged an old queen sized down comforter to attach to the end loops of the hammock, and while it kept me warm, it put tension on my feet when I tried to stretch out. Ultimately it was an uncomfortable night, and I ended up moving back to my bed.

I'd love something lighter, and have been going through the old threads here and have some ideas. I'm still stumped on how I'll attach it in a way that won't have the same tension issues - especially as I have no ridgeline to attach anything to, and I don't want to put additional strain on the woven portion of the hammock.

Cannibal - I do sleep diagonally, practically horizontal! I'm a side sleeper, so the mayan design is marvelous for me.

LD Cakes - I had never been exposed to hanging when we bought it, so I feel like we really lucked out with how nice this hammock is! We got it for a song too.

• + New Posts