WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles

Adding Zipper mod, need help

One of my favorite hammocks is my old Speer. I like how I lay deep into it a and it's a good summer hammock. One negative it that the bugnet is attached by Velcro so everything you get in and out it's loud and a pain re-sealing.

My fix is simple. I want to get a 100 inch long sleeping bag zipper and sew Velcro to both sides and it can attach to the current Velcro on the hammock and netting. I can't find a 2 way pull, 100 inch but at Quest outfitters, found a 110 inch a two way separating and I know I can just cut it and make that end closed. I'd rarely every let the zipper.

I don't know a lot about zippers. This is listed as a #8 coil. Would this be hearty enough for this use? I'll add a link to Quest if anyone needs it to refer to. Also, is there another source for zippers?
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/zippe...MADE%20ZIPPERS

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    #8 would be plenty beefy. I hear of a lot of people using a #5 as well.
    You can shorten the zipper from the top end without negative impacts. And you don't have to sew that end together. Just do a bar tack over each side to keep the sliders from running off the end.
    Just for clarification, the zipper I saw that looked like it would work is Item #5189. And I believe Item #5044 would be the double-sided tabs that go with it, if you want.

On another note, The Rainshed has a #8 coil 100" separating zipper with double pulls for $10.50, Item# 2234.

And with either company, if you give them a call I'm sure they can help you figure out which one you need.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    go to diygearsupply.com he has #3's, and double pull zippers... I've used these on 4 hammocks, and they work great.

for $0.25 a pull, and $0.25 a foot, you can't go wrong. If you want beefier zippers, he has #5's as well.

Most people sew a strip of fabric on to keep the netting out of the zipper...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    #8 would be plenty beefy. I hear of a lot of people using a #5 as well.
    You can shorten the zipper from the top end without negative impacts. And you don't have to sew that end together. Just do a bar tack over each side to keep the sliders from running off the end.
    Just for clarification, the zipper I saw that looked like it would work is Item #5189. And I believe Item #5044 would be the double-sided tabs that go with it, if you want.

On another note, The Rainshed has a #8 coil 100" separating zipper with double pulls for $10.50, Item# 2234.

And with either company, if you give them a call I'm sure they can help you figure out which one you need.

PF
    Thanks!
    That was the exact zipper I was looking at but may go with #5 now that I realize how beefy the #8 is. Thanks for the heads up. I had thought that the pulls came with the zipper. That would have been a pretty sad mistake to rememdy; paying shipping for two zipper pulls.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    go to diygearsupply.com he has #3's, and double pull zippers... I've used these on 4 hammocks, and they work great.

for $0.25 a pull, and $0.25 a foot, you can't go wrong. If you want beefier zippers, he has #5's as well.

Most people sew a strip of fabric on to keep the netting out of the zipper...
    Thanks for the link. I'll compare shipping and go with whoever is cheaper. It's good to have another option.

Question: With a continuous zipper cut to length; how do I add the pulls? I'm guessing since it's cut to length, one end won't have that little starter piece of metal for threading them.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    The zipper pulls that come with it are only one-sided.
    I just realized that the whole zipper will be attached by velcro, so you really don't need a separating zipper.
    If you decide to go that route, Item #5030 is the #5 coil zipper, and #5043 for the pulls ends up being a lot cheaper.

To put the pulls on the zipper tape, you just feed both ends of the tape into the pull and voila. Well, in reality it's a little bit more finnicky than that, but that's the basic idea. The bottom of that Quest page has diagrams.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    The zipper pulls that come with it are only one-sided.
    I just realized that the whole zipper will be attached by velcro, so you really don't need a separating zipper.
    If you decide to go that route, Item #5030 is the #5 coil zipper, and #5043 for the pulls ends up being a lot cheaper.

To put the pulls on the zipper tape, you just feed both ends of the tape into the pull and voila. Well, in reality it's a little bit more finnicky than that, but that's the basic idea. The bottom of that Quest page has diagrams.

PF
    Sweet, Thank you Sir!

• + New Posts