Did it! UCR with a micro cord lock. It works very well. I'll hang the hammock tomorrow and do the full test but I don't see why bit wouldn't work.
That looks good but I feel I should make one suggestion based on experience. I double the amount of bury for a UCR than what is recommended for a WS - it tends to help with that problem slide that sometimes occurs. There is a lot of wasted material between your bury and the cord lock - I would bury some more of the cord in that since you have it available. YMMV.
SGT is this better I don't think I can get much shorter.
It looks good. Time will tell. I mention this because recently I tried going just a little skimpier on a set of UCRs and they worked well for a time. But last trip up to the Smokies I watched as my foot end slid though the bury a little. When I got home I changed the configuration a little and added more length to the bury on that set and solved it. I like the micro cord lock, if memory serves they weigh about 1 gram each which is about what my silicone tube thing adds and that would be much easier to make than that tube thing. I'll have to see about getting some more of those tiny ones and try it out.
Just outa curiosity what length bury are you using SGT?
For anyone doing the silicone tubing version of this UCR idea one of the things I reconfigured was passing both lines through the tube to add more friction. In my original model I did that and it worked well. In the video I only put the adjustable line through the tube, but found that it didn't have enough friction at times. With the re configuring I did after the Smokies hike I put it back through like the original ones.
On the UCR bury I am burying about 13" which turns out to only be about 10" or so of length after you get the line buried in it. Does that make sense the way I explain it?
Anyway, I can hang my hammock in about a 10' gap between trees.
perfect sense SGT thanks
When I first started making UCRs I had read somewhere that you bury 1 fid of rope for an eye and that put me at about 2" for 1.8mm cord. I did a 1/4" of taper just because.
I got the 10" for the bury by playing with it - trail and error.
A lot later after I had been doing it this way for a long time I read that they changed the recommendations for stuff like dynaglide and amsteel because of low friction on the rope. Under these guidelines I was WAY too short, but since it had worked for me I wasn't going to stop. Here is a good chart I think Papa Smurf made:
It recommends 5.79" for the bury on a WS but I go about twice that for a UCR.