Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help on Trip Planning

I was wanting to go camping somewhere so I was looking around on the forum and noticed 90% of the trips are in state parks for group hangs and what not, I do not want to pay to go camping in a state park or anywhere for that matter. I just want to grab my gear and hit the woods somewhere. I would love to go into Cuyahoga National Valley Park for a 1-2 day trip, But i don't want to pay, just hike till I want to set up camp somewhere then hike a little more the next day. I live in NorthEast Ohio. What do you suggest? Just setting up camp anyway on a not specified Camp Area, or I thought about CEI property because its very large and public. Or does everyone pay and use designated non-electric Camp Site through out the Parks?

Any info would be very greatly appreciated,
    Jeremy

Images
    Group hangs are usually held in established campgrounds because is it more of a social event. Having basic amenities like picnic tables and outhouses make logistics much easier.

Except for group hangs I avoid established campgrounds like the plague.
    Hiking off trail to find that perfect hanging spot is always one of my main goals when I go out.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hiking off trail to find that perfect hanging spot is always one of my main goals when I go out.
    This is exactly what I would like to do, just not sure where the best places to do it are, such as state parks, not sure if I can get in trouble or not.

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    national forest are a good place there free and big
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Hey a bunch of us are hitting Zaleski on Friday, it's free all you do is self register at the trailhead. Well be at C camp on Friday evening which is about 1.5 mile hike in from the parking area at Hope Furnace.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=march+zaleski

We also group hang at the primitive sites at Mohican, also free & self registration.

Both offer plenty of good hiking. Wildcat Hollow, Tar Hollow, lots of good places around Ohio, should keep you plenty busy.

David

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorJunkie1992 View Post
    I was wanting to go camping somewhere so I was looking around on the forum and noticed 90% of the trips are in state parks for group hangs and what not, I do not want to pay to go camping in a state park or anywhere for that matter. I just want to grab my gear and hit the woods somewhere. I would love to go into Cuyahoga National Valley Park for a 1-2 day trip, But i don't want to pay, just hike till I want to set up camp somewhere then hike a little more the next day. I live in NorthEast Ohio. What do you suggest? Just setting up camp anyway on a not specified Camp Area, or I thought about CEI property because its very large and public. Or does everyone pay and use designated non-electric Camp Site through out the Parks?

Any info would be very greatly appreciated,
    Jeremy

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm just down I-77 in Canton. CVNP does not allow backcountry camping of any sort. They have a small group camp area behind Stanford Hostel, but it's not suited for hanging.

Mohican is the best place in northeast-ish Ohio. Free, and well suited for hammocks. We had a group hang in January that was well attended.

Zaleski State Forest would be about a 4 hour drive from Mentor. We'll be there all weekend if you want to head out.

For the record, I havent been on a group hang yet where I had to pay. As Bannerstone mentioned, in Ohio, we tend to go to Zaleski, Mohican, and Wayne, which are all state or national "forests", rather than "parks".

Allegheny National Forest, out in PA, also allows backcountry camping just about anywhere you want. TenderToe has some experience there, I believe.

Welcome, by the way!
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorJunkie1992 View Post
    This is exactly what I would like to do, just not sure where the best places to do it are, such as state parks, not sure if I can get in trouble or not.

Wow! there you go.
    An invite to hang and a list of the best free hangin in your area.
    Looks like David and Mike came thru big time.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Wow! there you go.
    An invite to hang and a list of the best free hangin in your area.
    Looks like David and Mike came thru big time.
    Ya its just to bad I dont own any gear yet I plan on buying a WBB BB with a Kelty Noah 9 tarp, I wont have the gear in time.

But in the future I will be setting up a group hang somewhere and will sell raffle tickets to raise money for a friend who has a tumour in his spine and is paralysed form the waist down. Also be raffling off prizes like gift cards, cash, gear etc. Will post detail when I get gear to set it up.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Even if you have ground dweller gear, you're still more than welcome to come out. We won't turn anyone away, and it's a great way to see different setups before sinking money into stuff.

Keep us posted. There's a trip planning thread for this weekend with "O-hang" in the title. I'll watch for your planned hang.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY (TC)
    Tarp
    WB Supperfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Allegheny National Forest, out in PA is great. I have done alot of ground dweller camping out there for years. I am just getting into hammocks but it is well suited for hanging out there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast