Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Claytor Camping Hammock

I searched archives in the Claytor forum. There's not one discussion of this model, 8ft x 4ft with integrated bug net ....for $50 delivered. I'm looking for loaners and gifts for family members.

OK, there are a number of dismissals of the Mosquito Hammock, which seems to be the old name for the same hammock. All about size and complaints about it.

This Clark owner carries no prejudice about a $50 hammock the same 8' x 4' size as a $250 Clark North American or $220 Tropical II. (I've allowed for rain fly value)

Does anybody have a Claytor Camping Hammock, use one?

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I have both the Moskito and the Expedition. They are virtually the same except for color. I love them. They do not need a lot of sag to be comfortable. But you can use more sag if you like. The shorter length means you get more coverage from your tarp. The double layers makes using a pad easy, combined with the less sag angle, the pads don't bunch up as much. Not sure why the Claytor's aren't more popular especially with the price. IIRC, one of the cottage hammock makers made his own version of the claytor. I cannot remember the name of the maker nor the hammock. It is popular though.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    claytor
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    straps with cinch
    I have the jungle hammock and love it. It's kind of heavy but it's a great hammock! The double bottom rocks!
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I think the jungle is 48X120. I have three of them. I keep coming back to them. I like their simplicity and comfort. Been sleeping in one for nearly 4 years.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I appreciate the virtues of the larger Claytors, and that it has fans here and in the Claytor Forum. And maybe I should treat family as well as I treat myself and spend double or triple.

But, I was surprised, often as I've visited the Claytor page, to see that netted[ Mosquito for just $50 delivered. If Clark has satisfied customers for its 4 x 8 hammocks, what about that same-size inexpensive Claytor Mosquito / Camping?

Everybody wants to "switch" after that cheapie is the bait. <grin>

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I think only the jungle hammock is longer than the moskito hammock. The expedition and moskito are the same dimensions. I personally like the length of them. Less length means less sag. I do not see my longer hammocks as upgrades. I am a shorter stature guy as well. that might make a difference.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've got a handful of Claytors. They are just fine for that style of hammock. My favorite is pretty easily the no-net because I can make-up for any loss in hammock size by just hanging my feet over the edge. My oldest one is probably about 3 years old now and has been used (guess) about 20 times. Seems to be holding up just fine the last time I looked at it.

I think one of the chief complaints about Claytors were the all over the place delivery time-frames. I ordered one and received it in about a week; another took well over a month. There were stories of even longer waits. Not that it is unheard of in the cottage industry to have to wait; I can think of two vendors off the top of my head that are notorious for long waits.

The construction doesn't appear to be as beefy as the Clarks or DD Hammocks, but for most users I don't think it will be an issue.

Since we are talking about Neo's favorite hammock, I gotta throw a "" in here.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    As far as durability, my original moskito hammock is still going strong after having slept in it over 120 nights on trail and countless others in the backyard.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle/Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    DD Tarp XL
    Insulation
    3/4 Thermarest
    Suspension
    Rings / Whoopies
    Images
    I've had a Claytor Jungle model for 2+ years. As I live in the tropics it sounded like it would fit the bill for my requirements, and it hasn't dissapointed ! I've used it through both our cool dry season and the monsoonal wet season and it has performed flawlessly through both. It is longer than other hammocks I have used, which can cause issues if using an aftermarket diamond tarp.

It has the best airflow that I have tried, and keeps me a tad cooler than the Clarke Tropical 2. This is a MAJOR issue if you are trying to sleep in the tropics.

The supplied tarp is fine for normal use - I just prefer a little more room to have a decent size admin area underneath in the monsoonal downpours. I did have a leakage problem with the supplied tarp in a huge downpour, not bad but a few drips that kept me awake. A quick spray of silicon treatment when I returned home fixed that.

It comes with a web strap suspension system. I used this a few times before swapping over to whoopies. The web straps are ok, and certainly did the job, just as with everything it was a matter of personal preference.

The double bottom is great - very easy to slide in my thermarest, and heaps of room in that area for those of you who need something more for the cold environments.

The top of the bug mesh has a shock cord suspension system to get the mesh higher, and also has loops at each end for dowel, tubing etc (I use aluminium arrow shafts) to hold the mesh sides at a decent width.

I am 178 cm and 90kg - it leaves me a lot of room to move, and with the right sag I can get semi diagonal. Certainly heaps of room for side and fetal sleepers. So if you are tall it will cater for your height.

And if you have any after purchase enquires, you are dealing with Tom himself - pretty good service and timely advice.

I have just purchased a Clarke Tropical 2 to compare which one I'll take on an upcoming jungle trip to Malaysia. It is early days yet with the Clarke, as I just can't get the same level of comfort as I can with the Claytor (I've done a post on this asking for help, and had some great advice back that I will trial tommorrow, but I honestly think the Claytor will win out on the room department.)

My only mods I've done were whoppies (a standard mod for me), and adding paracord loops to the zipper tab for extra grip. As I said I needed to upgrade to a larger tarp for the monsoonal season, but the Claytor standard tarp is fine for the dry periods or if you don't need a larger dry area underneath.

All up - very well made, fast delivery and good personal service and a winner in the hot humid weather. Just give the supplied tarp a good waterproof spray before use just to make sure.

I love it !

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Seems almost nobody wanted to comment on experience with the least expensive Claytor. I just ran across a video review of it though, by justaguyinnc. Well, he's from the right State, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Lfn-2IbfoVk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast