Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    It glows with any light source originating close to your line of sight. The farther away you are, the farther the light source can be from your line of sight.

Lawson's Glowire - no light/camera flash/AA mini mag LED conversion...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Camera sensors are poor at mimicking the sensitivity of the human eye. In high contrast conditions, the match, unless the sensors are designed for the purpose, is worse.

The Glowire is bunched, not the way it will be used. maximizing the dazzle from the fairly sparse threads.

I won't repeat myself for context on my satisfaction. I would not count on others who were not looking for it to see it. It is [DAY]glowire.

Just as there is reflective gear that works better than other gear for being noticed in the dark, there is likely cordage that is better than other for the purpose.

Put it another way: I doubt that this stuff will spoil your stealthiness, not even in full moonlight.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 03-02-2012 at 14:01.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Can't Wait View Post
    I just ordered some for hanging my food bag so I can find it in the dark saw some at our winter hang and was nice.
    That is a really good idea
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    HH UL bpk
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I'm using the same Nite-Ize stuff for my hex fly - dazzling bright from a long way off (before you can see any of my camp).

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have the Bluewater reflective line from REI. Lights up like a laser beam when my headlamp light hits it.

David

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Camera sensors are poor at mimicking the sensitivity of the human eye...
    I am well aware of that. The point was simply to show that it does in fact reflect the 2 types of light I had handy and that it is easy to see if the light source is close to your line of vision.

I wasn't too concerned that someone would think I was claiming it would look light a spotlight shining back at you.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have the lawson's glow wire and it does, in fact reflect very well. When I first tried it at home in a darkened room I was underwhelmed with its reflectivity but when I actually used outside it was an entirely different story. In fact, it is perfect in my opinion. I used to to make lanyards on my Bahco saw, my butane lighter, and everything else that needs a lanyard so I can find it if dropped in the dark/snow.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I am well aware of that. The point was simply to show that it does in fact reflect the 2 types of light I had handy and that it is easy to see if the light source is close to your line of vision.

I wasn't too concerned that someone would think I was claiming it would look light a spotlight shining back at you.
    I think more of us ought to aspire to this level of helpfulness, found in a review at Amazon. Before pasting it, I'll repeat that I am OK with my 100 ft of Glowire; I like the spec strength, and absence of expected stretch (poly/dyneema blend.) Lets have more explicit objective facts --the Glowire has 3 reflective Xs, BTW) and more consideration of whether a glow-ball doesn't overstate the brightness of a cord at night when lit with a flashlight.

Kelty triptease lightline cord is gold in color, about 3/32" diam., and is labeled as 1 oz for 50 feet, braided nylon, labeled with 188 pound break strength (didn't test), with lifetime warranty, contains a single reflective thread sewn in a X pattern, 4 Xs per inch of cord. Reflectivity with a flashlight is okay and functional. Note that the Viper Equinox is much better for reflectivity.

Viper Equinox is a competitor sold by Campmor and others at much lower price than Kelty. It is also gold color, a little larger at 1/8" diam., has 3M reflective thread with 2 threads per X pattern, 4 Xs per 1.5 inches of cord. It is also braided nylon, model ELW401. It is about twice as reflective as Kelty. Also sold in 50 foot pieces.

Another option is REI's blue,green, and white cord, that is braided, 1/8" diameter, single reflective cord sewn in a spiral dash with about 4 lines per 1.25 inch of cord. It has about the same reflectivity as the Kelty cord, but it also adds a glow in the dark feature that actually works for several minutes after a flashlight hits it. The glow in the dark white cords are a series of 4 threads together with 3 of the sets per inch of cord. Basically, the glow cords are about 75% of what you see on a cross section and the reflective cords are about 5%. This cord is about the same cost as Kelty.
    -----from an Amazon review

Hammock
    Clark UL; ENO
    Tarp
    CCS, Hexfly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR, Baby Orca
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Niteize

Well, I not completely crazy. Here is a reply that I got from Niteize concerning their reflective rope:

"Our reflective rope is just intended to have a passive reflection, it is not intended to "glow" in the dark or be really bright when lit. It will have some reflection with other flashlights, but flashlights with a blue LED bulb will make the rope "glow" or reflect much more vividly than these other lights."

I wasn't expecting it to glow in the dark, but I'm a bit dissappointed that it is so sensitive to the type of flashlight being used. When I first used the Princeton LED light, the rope reflected spectacularly. With the other lights, I can see the ropes, but they are not reflecting the light. I don't think it is my deteriorating visual threshhold, but it may be. Just be aware, the ropes may not reflect light as well as the ads would have you believe (surprise, surprise).
    "I've reached that stage in life where I'm invisible to beautiful women." - Inspector Lewis

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I'm glad you followed up with Nite Ize. Too bad for their product that the LED flashlight condition is going in the other direction, taking blue out of the light.

And thanks for reporting here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast