Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok Tarp 3.0
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 9LW
    Suspension
    Amok Suspension

Question Help a big guy out

Hey all. I am looking to put together a rig to use, but I need some advice. I am 6'4" and about 350 lbs. I'm curious if there's anyone even close to my size around here, and what sort of hammock he would recommend. I currently have an ENO Doublenest, but I'm not sure if that's what I want to go with.

It's nice to see that so many hammocks have such a high weight rating. I'm not used to finding things like that. From what I've read on here, just about any gathered end hammock is going to be comfortable, but I thought I'd ask for some advice.

I'm thinking of a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double. I really like the idea of having a double layer for my pad. (I figure that I'll eventually get an underquilt, but for now I'll just use one of my pads). I also like the idea of having the shelf. Plus, they seem to have a really good reputation on here.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    DIY, Dangerbird, Night Owl, Eno Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY and cuban
    Insulation
    HG and DIY
    Suspension
    whoopie and dutch
    Images
    I have an Eno Dbl and I think it's pretty comfortable. A lot of people seem to enjoy the WBBB. I'm sure several folks will chime in on their opinions. I don't think there is anything wrong with using your eno while you learn more about the whole process and eventually find your ideal setup. I would return your slap straps as they are junk. Look around and see what suspension would be best for you. I recommend whoopies.

If you haven't already I would highly recommend reading Derek Hansen's book "The Ultimate Hang" as if gives you almost all the info you need in a very simple way. Also look at Shug's ten part "how to" series on youtube. It's easy to get overwhelmed when you first start.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    GoLite, Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Put whoopies on the dn if you're going to keep it. I'm 6'4" 245 and I'm about to get the wbbb double 1.1. From what I've read the weight limit actually higher than stated. I think the 1.7 would be perfect for you. Order it with some whoopies. Good luck!

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Hey bud, yeah theres plenty of heavy hangers around here. I'm 6'1 or so and around 300lbs. I also have a double. I like it but my issue is when I try to sleep in it I ust cant get flat. I picked up a diy not long ago. I didnt know if it was going to work becasue it was more narrow than my eno. Come to find out for me that is that a longer hammock it where the money is at. Its about 11.5ft and tell you what it rocks. I have yet to use my double since. Its a simple 1.9 ripstop whipped on each end. You can pick up that kind of material easily in most local places. Focus a longer hammock it will give you a nice lay. I do with is was a bit wider so when I buy my next hammock I wil be going to dreamhammocks.com and talking to papasmurf.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    From what I've read most will tell you that the eno's tend to run a bit shorter than most. I picked that one for my 1st becasue of the weight limit, it is really nice though.
    Jons4real

Hammock
    8ball Edition DAO Recon
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Holofil / PL
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps
    Images
    I'm 6'1 and 340 hanging in a DIY style 1.5 oz rip-stop nylon single layer and have no problems, I also have double layer made of the same material, both were made by a cottage builder, and I love them both.

HEY NORTHFACE and PATAGONIA, Fat people camp too...

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    Wilderness Logics makes a great 1.5 double hammock for us bigger dudes. It's the Nite Owl, and it has a 375lb weight limit. I believe it's 11'6" long and lays very flat...
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by WW8Ball View Post
    I'm 6'1 and 340 hanging in a DIY style 1.5 oz rip-stop nylon single layer and have no problems, I also have double layer made of the same material, both were made by a cottage builder, and I love them both.

That is awesome now I want a 1.5, thanks for sharing that.I always thought I was stuck with 1.9.
    Jons4real

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    6'1" and 300........I have used a ENO DN, WBBB 1.7DL, Clark NX-200 and been comfortable in all of them. Now I have a 1.9DL DIY GEH and it is my go to hammock. It was made with care by the fiance and I have to admit it is the most comfortable hammock I have owned. It was easy to make, according to her, the plans we used were from www.outdoorgearsupply.com. Good luck in your quest.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    I'd suggest talking with Papasmurf @ dreamhammocks.com. He can get you a hammock, long & wide. 90" wide I believe and can do double layer for you too.

Give him a holler. He's a good guy to talk to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast