Yeah, some people are lucky.
My granddad used to swear by eating a tiny leaf each spring.
I was always afraid my throat would swell shut.
He said don't chew it, just swallow it.
He said it would immunize him.
He never got poison oak.
I got it every year.
Maybe he was right.
Euell Gibbons was one who I believe promoted that idea of eating the tiny leaves of poison oak/poison ivy. Of course while "many parts of a pine tree are edible"... He did die in the interview chair for the **** Cavett Show. Not a bad way to go... but all in all... probably not the best advertisement for his concepts.
I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.
"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn
We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series
Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies
Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint
Yeah, will, at 89, my grandad was old enough to be Euell's daddy.
Gibbons didn't invent those ideas, he just wrote about them.
i remember him well on tv in the post grapenuts commercial.he was one of my favorites outdoorsman icons growing upneo
the matrix has you
A few of my backpacking buddies over the years have been sensitive to it and send me out to get water when the only way to it is through some poison ivy... or so they say.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.”
― Alan W. Watts
I have gotten poison ivy every spring for the past 15 years. I know, I know, I get a lot of ribbing for not being able to identify it, especially when I'm so highly allergic, but I think it comes from my dog. The doctor expects my call starting in March, and running all through the summer. They were starting to think that I had it in my bloodstream, or that I'd pick it up from the air. I only have to know that it's around, and I get it. I finally threw out my sleeping bag, because I suspected it was in the fabric and despite numerous washes, I would still get the wonderful rash. So I'm no help in telling you how to get rid of it. Just don't burn the infected stuff if you decide to get rid of it - I've heard that burning is the absolute worse thing to do with poison ivy oils.