BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    The hot muggy summer nights here in South Carolina are one of the biggest reasons I bought my first nylon hammock. My son an I were at summer camp just south of Charleston SC (mind you it was mid July and the average temp was 98* before they factored in the heat index from the humidity). Are camp was right next to the mash. The only problem was there was not a breeze to be found the first night. I sitting in that old canvas wall style tent on my cot sweating like I have never sweated before. I was thinking to my self there has to be a better way. The next day at the trading post I saw hammocks (cue the heavenly music) Eno's and travelers rest hammocks. I dropped a twenty on the single wide travelers and slept like a baby the rest of the week. I have since bought two eno DN from the trading post and any time I go back to summer camp I refuse to sleep in those tents.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Man, that all sounds great. Can't wait for it to get here!

I'm going to be in AZ this summer, but when I get back to TN it's gonna be like sleeping in hot soup. Nice to know I have options.
    "I'd rather rein in a bull than prod an ***."

Survival News Online
    The Truth About Liberty
    SNOmultimedia YouTube Channel

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Nothing finer than a hammock swaying gently on a hot summer evening. A tall cold one from the cooler helps too.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Pretty much ditto what everyone else here has said. I'm pretty warm blooded and took a nooner while camping out a couple of weeks ago. The temp was in the lower 80s and I was in a nice oak hammock with a tiny bit of a breeze (but that is all that you need). I just pushed my UQ all the way over and the cooling on my back was refreshing and helped keep the rest of me cool enough to sleep without sweating.

A recent discovery that I made (ok it's no secret but I didn't know how amazing it was until I tried it myself) was the wonder of merino wool. I bought a few lightweight merino wool undershirts. They do an amazing job of wicking away the moisture (and keeping you stink free at the same time) which might help the upper part of your body stay almost as cool as the lower part that is against the hammock.

Either way the hammock is almost as good as having a fan blowing on your back (just make sure you have a little bit of a breeze)

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    I have spent a few hot evenings in a hammock and if the humidity is high, I give up. No, I don't head home but if i know that i am going to sweat until the early morning chill comes, I'll go ahead and soak my tshirt with water and put it on and jump in the hammock. Sure it dries in about 3 hours but i am well asleep by then and i am cool. I have also went full gusto and went night swimming in the lake and then straight to the hammock, minus any towels. I just can't sleep if i am hot and sweaty. On milder nights, maybe a wet bandana layed across my chest will suffice. Good thing about summer weather, any evidence of wateron the hammock is gone before the first cup of joe is gone.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    I have spent a few hot evenings in a hammock and if the humidity is high, I give up. No, I don't head home but if i know that i am going to sweat until the early morning chill comes, I'll go ahead and soak my tshirt with water and put it on and jump in the hammock. Sure it dries in about 3 hours but i am well asleep by then and i am cool. I have also went full gusto and went night swimming in the lake and then straight to the hammock, minus any towels. I just can't sleep if i am hot and sweaty. On milder nights, maybe a wet bandana layed across my chest will suffice. Good thing about summer weather, any evidence of wateron the hammock is gone before the first cup of joe is gone.
    I was just going to suggest the same thing. I use no bottom insulation whatsoever if it's above 55 degrees (I'm a furnace), no insulation at all above 65 degrees. When I was in the Marines, we used to wet our cots down if it was hot and lie right on them...cots work the same way as a hammock, only the fabric is stretched tighter.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    OES MacCat'D Cuben
    Insulation
    Usually nothing
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am another that first took to a hammock so I could be comfortable in hot, humid weather. Certainly a vast improvement over any tent, but can still get a bit hot sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    A silk liner used by itself should make you feel cooler. Silk is breathable and will wick moisture away from your body, and will spread that out over the surface of the liner. It dries very quickly. More moisture exposed to evaporation over a greater surace area, evaporating more quickly, will make things cooler than they would be evaporating over the surface of your body by itself.
    I agree though I believe that skintight is best (like heatgear garments). I am guessing that the fabric both compresses your body hair (reducing insulation/ dead air against skin) and improves evaporation. I would love to see science on the effect, though I am aware of a scientific study that found a brand of light compression garments cooler for athletes than nothing at all.

Hot and dry heat is much easier to deal with than hot and humid. Those who advocate cotton or merino for example I don't believe have dealt with true humid heat. They may work ok in dry heat conditions.

The best possible thing you can do to have a cool evening is to have a long swim in freshwater (if so located) before bed - both to drop the core body temp and wash any salts off your skin - which slows evaporation and therefore cooling. I find on really hot and humid nights that the first 20 mins or so in the hammock can still be very hot - it seems to take a while for the internal furnace to gear down. After that things get better and others mentioned - it is surprising how cool it can get in the early hours of the morning.

i haven't tried the swinging - going rainforest/jungle camping (and it is still monsoon heat conditions) tomorrow so will test this strategy to help with the first 20 minutes or so.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    hmm. Motor Home has air conditioner. Motor home does not fit in canoe. MH does take canoe farther North to where it is cool!!
    I will keep the tips in mind if I get stuck in the sultry South. ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammockNQ View Post
    Hot and dry heat is much easier to deal with than hot and humid. Those who advocate cotton or merino for example I don't believe have dealt with true humid heat. They may work ok in dry heat conditions.
    I know I will never wear cotton when being too hot is involved but I haven't had a chance to try my new shirts in the summer here (yes I'm VERY familiar with hot and humid... like 81*F and foggy first thing in the morning hot and humid). I'll be testing it out this summer to see how it goes. I agree with the tighter fitting thing too.

I've used synthetic and, while it wicks very nicely, it jacks up the funk factor way too quickly for me (I'm a prolific sweating machine about 350 days a year down here in south/central Florida). Not sure about silks funk factor but it is supposed to be a good wicker too. My experience with wool over a weekend in the mid 80s during the day and mid 60s at night was that it kept me cooler, drier, and funk free.

As I said... we'll see how it goes this summer. I didn't really believe the reviews about how amazing it is until I actually tried it.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One of these small fans hung off the ridgeline helps me nod in the heat......
    http://www.amazon.com/Carabiner-Hand...=35IX421Y68RWL
    Sweaty Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast