UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Jealousy, thy name is Rook.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    Jealousy, thy name is Rook.

MM, what's the weight on that lovely hammock?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    HappyCamper-took it down just to weight for you
    On the Rapala 0.71 kg
    On the postal digital 25 ounces.....
    So if you think in pounds it is 1.56 pounds.

And I've got some economic impressions.
    Poof is studying hammocks to purchase and has seen most of mine, so we crunched some numbers over a bite of bread.
    Once we'd hashed the dollars a bit it suddenly hit me that the DangerBird is SERIOUS competition for the others out there. Why?
    That listed weight is double bottom, integral bug net, integral over cover, bishop bag and whoopies....for this ingenuity ~and who can deny the integration of the zippers of the netting and over cover is brilliant~ and the included features it is huge dollars lower than the competition--how so you might ask; well say you have a WB Blackbird and want to add an over over. The only one I know of off the shelf is AHE's BBO and that's $75 (I've got one, one of AHE's great gifts to the hammock world and used it at the Ocala hang to get 10F more warmth). What's a current price on whoopies? and tree huggers (also included with the DangerBird)? Probably around $30 as a guess. So your already getting the comfort of a BlackBird but with 100 dollars of accoutrements thrown in.
    What do you loose compared to the BlackBird? The shelf and footbox all I've noticed so far; but the DangerBird includes the ridgeline storage bag which offsets some of the lost shelf....but under the hoods are the bags that stow the over cover and bug net. You can get small items there too if needed (think stuffable items like down hood, down gloves).
    Now my biggest fear just looking at pics of the Dangerbird prior to ordering was that it looked like a Hennessey--and me thinking it would lay like one. I sleep in a HH Backpacker A-sym kinda often and have years of Hennessey use-my favorite lay of all that I've tried over the years is the BlackBird; so I was most pleasantly surprised to find the DangerBird very similar TO ME in the Blackbird lay.
    But you say there is no footbox with the Dangerbird.....true but this is a wide hammock, no footbox is needed.
    One more thought-COLOR. Go to PapaSmurf's site and look at the color options. I went with coyote body and green hoods for the muted look and it's a great color scheme for me, but the choices are huge.

Forgot something. I said I took it down to weigh it....but of course while it was up I went through the various combos of netting up/down, over cover up/down and realized when both covers were stowed that this hammock is peapod capable. I'd set it up with the Leighlo 5-50 (Leigh's 0F rated UQ) which is also coyote and green-almost a perfect match!

I have to go back in my cage tonight but will work on a vid soon.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Thanks MM! Appreciate the quick service. And I can't argue with any of the above. Fantastic job by PoppaSmurf. I knew from the width that eliminates the footbox issue. Good to know the lay is similar to BB because I'm soooo comfy in my BB. Having the net cover and the top cover integrated like that IS genius! Especially for shoulder season or winter hammocking. So many of us have experienced that sil tarp spray during a hard rain. Just zip up the no hassle cover and sweet heavenly sleep!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I agree, for 25 oz you get a heck of a lot of hammock.
    It's not as light as Sgt Rock's ghost hammock, but it's not as scary either

Sorry, I couldn't pass on that opportunity - what I mean is that they are hammocks with two different objectives and they both meet their objectives very well.
    Last edited by MAD777; 03-02-2012 at 12:40.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    ...the more tools in the box....
    Just weighed my double Traveler with whoopies, I'd forgotten the weight. 15.1 ounces.
    So 10 ounces for netting, over cover, hoods, stow bags under hoods. You know a lot of add on bug nets are 8 ounces, the BBO probably close to 5 ounces; so again PapaSmurf is very very efficient in material usage.
    Just had a thought, does the netting come out if you want with the Dangerbird? Same with the over cover? I didn't think to look when it was up....def. will next time, maybe PS will chime in.
    If they do pop out then you really are getting several hammocks in one.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Just had a thought, does the netting come out if you want with the Dangerbird? Same with the over cover?
    No they are permanently attached and have to ride along every trip, even in hot Summer months.

I have a test DangerBird (FreeBird) with removeable netting and overcover, but I had to use a #5 molded tooth zipper, which increases the weight. It's still a little buggy.
    Wish I could locate some 116" long, #3 coil separating zippers. Wouldn't that be sweet?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    GoLite, Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Papasmurf, a "Freebird" is EXACTLY what I've been looking for in my next hammock! Good luck in your design and finding the right materials!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    I was going to be Pappa's test subject for the Freebird but he wasn't happy with the zipper so he didn't want to send that to a customer.

Says something about customer service.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12