Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    1/4" Volara
    Suspension
    Webbing

Tarp Ridgeline Question

Hi, All
    First time poster. I've learned a lot from this site the last several weeks. I decided about two months ago to leave my tent for a hammock. There was (continues to be, actually) much information to digest. I finally purchased a WBBB 1.1 with a WBBMJ Tarp. Both arrived yesterday. Excellent craftsmanship. I am now thinking through all of the little things for set up.

With the tarp there are two small "key ring" pieces at each end of the ridgeline. I have questions about both sets. I'm assuming the ones at the very end are for tying the line to anchor to the trees. It occurs to me that I could take the stress off the ridgeline as a whole and off the attachment points in particular by using a line all the way under the ridgeline of the tarp, leaving, say, 15 feet free on either end. A simple knot around each "key ring" would mean that all the stress of hanging the tarp would be borne by the cord, not the tarp material itself. You wouldn't get a tight stretch for the tarp, but does the webbing sewn into the tarp at the ridgeline stretch anyway? Anyway, it seems a simple way to remove at least one wear and tear factor from the tarp. An idea worth pursuing?

My other question is about the second set of "key rings", located on the underside of the tarp very close to the ends. Are these for hanging gear?

Thanks again to all of you for the informative site. It's been very helpful.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    A continuous ridgeline for a tarp is a popular choice (there are arguments for pro and con) but it is my choice. I tend to have two prussiks attached to either side of the tarp ridgeline and connect with a small s-biner or something of the like to those two rings. Allows me to be able to slide the tarp on the line to get the coverage I am looking for. Wait until you get into all the fun things that you can use to attach that line to the trees (ie. Dutchware!!). Nice pickups - congrats!!

And welcome to HF!

Also check out Brandon's tarp video at Warbonnet.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The key rings at the ridgeline are doubled for strength. Just tie your lines through both. Found that out when i did a video and Brandon told me that. The lower ones are for a door kit to be clipped onto.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    1/4" Volara
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thank you, gentlemen. Entertaining video, Shug. I see you're in Roseville. I'm a few miles up the road in Lino Lakes.

Dragon, my head is swimming a bit from all the variations and nomenclature. I think for the time being I'll just use cord and knots (and I've read enough to know not to use nylon/parachute cord). Between climbing (hung my harness and boots up years ago) and paddling I should have enough knots to meet just about any challenge I'll face. And since I'm mostly a canoeist these days I'm not as into shaving grams as when I was a backpacker.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Ha - sorry! Sounds like you have a good plan either way. There may be a few diagrams to check out at Whoopieslings.com and they may help.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    1/4" Volara
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Ha - sorry! Sounds like you have a good plan either way. There may be a few diagrams to check out at Whoopieslings.com and they may help.
    Yes, I saw those a few days ago. Very helpful. In addition to what everyone promises to be a great sleep, I'm most drawn to a quick, dry set up. I don't know how many times I've had to set a tent up in the rain on a wet tarp and do it quickly enough that I could then throw the fly over the tent canopy and minimize the moisture inside. What a pain. Can't wait to stretch the hammock between trees and then string a dry tarp out underneath.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by hommes90 View Post
    Yes, I saw those a few days ago. Very helpful. In addition to what everyone promises to be a great sleep, I'm most drawn to a quick, dry set up. I don't know how many times I've had to set a tent up in the rain on a wet tarp and do it quickly enough that I could then throw the fly over the tent canopy and minimize the moisture inside. What a pain. Can't wait to stretch the hammock between trees and then string a dry tarp out underneath.
    Actually, in rain, the best bet is to string up the tarp first, then the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Make sure you put the ridgeline ABOVE the tarp, especially with the Big Mambajamba...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    1/4" Volara
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Actually, in rain, the best bet is to string up the tarp first, then the hammock.
    Mistyped. That's actually what I meant.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    1/4" Volara
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Make sure you put the ridgeline ABOVE the tarp, especially with the Big Mambajamba...
    Why above the tarp? And why "especially" with the Big Mamajamba?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast