Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse

Bug Out Bag style hammock

First off, I just have to say, Being unemployed sucks. I want a nice hammock and some extras for fun and practical uses. But lack of money limits what i can do, so improv time!

I wanted to run a theoretical setup past y'all for critiquing. And using supply's that are under $30 per part for the system.

Hammock- Grand Trunk ultralight $20-30 (30 is camo)
    10' x 12' camo tarp- $22 At sears
    2 Sportsman space blankets- $30 (15 a piece one orange and one OD)
    A silver lined CFC pad- $30
    SOL thermal bivvy - $30
    1 set of 2 6' dark grey whoopies- $18
    1 set of 2 camo tree huggers $14

How well do yall think this set up would work? Temp ranges? Ideas? Questions?
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    You will more than likely wake up soaking wet sleeping on a silverlined pad. No where for vapor to go, especially if you are using emergency blankets as top cover. A closed cell wally world blue pad and a cheapo sleeping bag will offer better zzzzz's. Good luck with you job situation. Been there and they dont even offer tshirts.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Well the idea is that staying cool in a hammock is easy. Staying warm can be trick and 3/4s, also using these materials allows you to switch to sleeping on the ground if you needed to.
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

I've been trying to figure out a good tarp option. Yours looks to be cheap (yes!). I was just curious on others' opinions on weight - is 2.9oz crazy heavy for a tarp? overall weight for this 10'x12' (13.3 sq yards) is 38 oz...

Is that the same size most people use for tarps? Smaller is lighter... just don't want to go too small

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheian View Post
    Well the idea is that staying cool in a hammock is easy. Staying warm can be trick and 3/4s, also using these materials allows you to switch to sleeping on the ground if you needed to.
    True, but overheating and excessive moisture when it is cold can be dangerous. If you have to sleep on the ground, leaf litter makes a wonderfully comfortable mattress.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Also, if you're wanting something for a BoB, you want something a bit more durable.

Save your money and get a heavier duty hammock with built in bug netting.

While I know it's out of the price range of a GTUL, my personal hammock is a HH Explorer Deluxe, with the HH Hex tarp. I've had the hammock modded by 2QZQ to allow me to remove the netting and/or use it as a zippered side entrance as well as a bottom entrance. I'm also planning on having doors added to the hex tarp to make it a four season rain/snow/wind-proof shelter.

Yes, it weighs more than other setups, and yes, weight is important in a BoB. But durability and use in multiple seasons/conditions rates higher in my book.

Starting out, go ahead and go with any $20 hammock you can get. PIF for the whoopies and tree straps here. You can use the blue wal-mart pad (or two of them if you want to cut them up to make wings for the shoulders) as your underinsulation (about $10 each). Pick up a cheap wal-mart tarp ($10) or even just some painter's plastic drop cloth (<$5) for your tarp, and add in your favorite sleeping bag for your top insulation. Make sure you pick up some good bug repellent before you go, since there's no netting on this setup.

That gets you into the woods fairly cheap. Then save your money up to upgrade equipment to something that WILL last you longer.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Oh trust me! I am saving for a Clark NX-250 in camo. Thats the idea for the kit, Affordable, Workable, multi-use, and i already have some of it.

Permethirn!
    Meaning of the EOD Badge

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    Are you going to be backpacking or car camping?

from what i see price wise and the one you want is not within you grasp just save up sell some stuff off pawn something to get your gear try ebay use the bill me later optopn with paypal as long as its a buy it know just a idea

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Actually as more of a OSHA/ emergency kit. Ya know, you go out on a picnic or something and vehicle breaks down. End up having to spend the night? the space in a small hammock would be easier (not to mention more comfortable) to keep warm than the car.
    Meaning of the EOD Badge

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast