WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

How much will a pad between hammock and UQ help?

I have a 20 degree UQ and will be going out in colder weather. If I use a Ridgerest too, what would be a reasonable temp range? I do realize that we all sleep different but generally has anyone tried this? Is there a mathematical rule for how R value affects temp range? Thanks
    vtrek

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I think everyone feels "cold" at different temperatures. I would set up in the yard and do a test run one night. That way you can always go inside if you are miserable. Then you will know whether or not you need more insulation.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by vtrek View Post
    I have a 20 degree UQ and will be going out in colder weather. If I use a Ridgerest too, what would be a reasonable temp range? I do realize that we all sleep different but generally has anyone tried this? Is there a mathematical rule for how R value affects temp range? Thanks
    vtrek
    Do you already know what the lowest temp you can sleep at just using your 20 degree UQ??? Have you tested it? If you have then yes, adding the ridgerest will lower THAT temp. But by how much?? You again would need to test to find out.

When I'm going camping, I check the weather for what the night time temps are "supposed" to be. Then I make sure I pack UQ's that are rated at least 20+ degrees lower. This is what I need stay warm. Are you a warm sleeper or a cold sleeper? Do you normally get really warm with your 20 degree UQ in warmer temps or really warm in colder temps too? The ridgerest will increase the under temps ratings but from what... to what?? Only you can test and find out what works for you.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

RidgeRest not good choice

I use a CCF pad under the hammock for my shoes. Sometimes it comes into the hammock for extra warmth. A RidgeRest is not pliable enough to conform to the UQ shape. A blue WalMart pad is actually better when used with an UQ.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by kg8jk View Post
    I think everyone feels "cold" at different temperatures. I would set up in the yard and do a test run one night. That way you can always go inside if you are miserable. Then you will know whether or not you need more insulation.
    I think kg8jk is on the right track here. Find your lowest temp with your current UQ in a controlled environment (back yard) if you haven't found your lowest comfort level yet. Once you have found your lowest temp, add the pad on another night and see how low you can go. Until you find the bottom temp, you just can't be sure.

I can sleep in my MH Lamina 45* at 30* in my Patagonia cap 3 thermals and Nano Puff jacket, but when the temp dropped to 25* I could not talk myself into sleeping out that night because the little self preservation light came on! So I know if the wether man says its going to be 30 tonight, I am going to pack my 20* bag just in case.

It's good to get out of the house anyway,

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    I have used a gossamer gear thinlight pad with a diy polyfill UQ. It made it warmer.
    I have also used a thin (and wider) ccf pad (from oware) with my JRB shenandoah (in UQ mode). That was also warmer than just the UQ.
    Both of my foam pads are quite flexible and did not mess w/ the UQ's ability to conform to the underside of the hammock.
    This weekend I will try pieces of a z-rest in the wings of a SPE and see how they work. I hope they are flexible enough on the long axis when aligned with the length of my hammock. But I have my doubts.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    I have a 30* UQ and I used a thermarest trail lite in my hammock. Got me down to 6* no problem. I think the ccf pad will give you the same if not more? In any case, it will help.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vtrek View Post
    vtrek
    I suggest putting the pad IN the hammock and not between the UQ and hammock as it could affect the seal and invite drafts.
    But trying is still the very best way to find out.
    Ed Speers used to put a piece of plastic between the hammock and UQ to create a VB and add some warmth. Not much weight in that technique.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I have learned by experience to be very wary of any temperature ratings given by manufactures. I have always found them to be wishful thinking. I have an UQ which I happened to be testing this morning with a thermometer. The UQ is rated to about 30 degrees. I put a thermometer on a piece of reflectex measuring about 16" x 24" which was between the UQ and hammock. The outside temp this AM was 40 degrees, after 45 minutes the temp in the air space between the UQ and hammock was 62 degrees. That explains why last night was sleepable but less than pleasant. Previously I had always used the UQ with some pad insulation inside the hammock like Shug suggested. Last night I didn't, and at mid day my butt still feels cold.

Thermarest type inflatable pads are good insulators and the WalMart blue closed cell foam pads less so but still a good bang for the buck. I can take the combination of: thermarest type pad + blue pad+ "15 degree bag" (which is actually good down to about 35 degrees) + bivy sack around the sleeping bag (good for adding 10 degrees of comfort) down to about 25 degrees with no wind. Note that is not using an UQ. This, of course, is not a very practical back packing setup if that is what you do, but it is what I have found can work if weight and bulk is not a big problem.

Hammock research is grueling, but it just has to be done. Sighhhhh. I will probably have to draagg myself out again tonight for more R&D, there is supposed to be some cold rain. Moan and groan.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I suggest putting the pad IN the hammock and not between the UQ and hammock as it could affect the seal and invite drafts.
    But trying is still the very best way to find out.
    Ed Speers used to put a piece of plastic between the hammock and UQ to create a VB and add some warmth. Not much weight in that technique.
    Shug
    I read about Ed doing this. Is he still around? Haven't seen him on here or on the yahoo hammock group since he sold up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast