11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    And as I understand it it's pretty difficult or a hassle extending the width of the tarps, yeah? I like a wide tarp myself for cold weather for the same reasons, but I still hate having to bend over to be under my tarp. Just got a M50/90 (can't remember, think it was 90) UQ which is supposed to be pretty windresistant so breezes don't steal your heat. Might be the way to go along with cuben and maybe a weathershield like the Danger Bird or BBO.

You should post some pics of it when you get it so we can see what a black one looks like
    Ill def post pics in a couple weeks. M50 quilts are on the list!!! Wonder if Adam is into M50??? Sure would be a help with the shorter width in the winter.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbnow View Post
    +1 on HG cuben tarp.

I have used it twice now and really REALLY impressed.
    The bonus factor is that that you dont really need line tensioners as cuben has negligible stretch when wet. (no expert but i would say zero stretch when wet)

My wife hasn't seen the cuben tarp yet.

I can already hear her now.."so why do YOU have that tarp and i only have this hennessey stock asym silnylon tarp?" or words to that effect!!
    I am in the same boat as you,,and the boat normally gets pretty leaky with the wife. can't win so I know,,when I get my first cuben tarp,,will have to get one for her too..
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
    I do a lot of dualsport motorcycle riding so am not as concerned with weight as when i hike but am very concerned with bulk. How much room will a cuben save? A real world example of syl vs. Cuben packed size (for two tarps of the same dimensions) would be geat. The weight would be the secondary reason for me, and a great bonus, but a smaller packed size is most important.
    i have cuben, spinn and sil tarps. the cuben is the lightest, but the sil packs smaller and is the heaviest. the spinn packs a little tighter than the cuben, but is also a little heavier. if pack size is priority, you can't beat a bmj or similar in silnylon.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock and WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubat.
    Suspension
    BacktoStraps/Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by griesl View Post
    i have cuben, spinn and sil tarps. the cuben is the lightest, but the sil packs smaller and is the heaviest. the spinn packs a little tighter than the cuben, but is also a little heavier. if pack size is priority, you can't beat a bmj or similar in silnylon.
    Thanks griesl. I'm using a bmj now and want to move to a 4 season and so am doing my research. Sounds like the superfly might meet my needs better since pack size trumps weight savings for my needs. I still want to gry a cuben just to have one. Would be my priority if i did more hiking where weight works against you. Thanks for the real world packing size info.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
    Thanks griesl. I'm using a bmj now and want to move to a 4 season and so am doing my research. Sounds like the superfly might meet my needs better since pack size trumps weight savings for my needs. I still want to gry a cuben just to have one. Would be my priority if i did more hiking where weight works against you. Thanks for the real world packing size info.
    No problem. If you are moving to a 4 season setup, also keep in mind that the SF has a lot more coverage than the cuben (or at least the one I have). The difference between 8.5 and 10 feet of total width doesn't sound like a lot, but I noticed the difference on the cuben on my last trip where it was 20 degrees and high winds. Also, to give you an idea of pack size, I stuffed my cuben into the SF sack, and it fit, but it was tight and couldn't be compressed at all. When I stuff my SF in the same sack, there's a little room to spare, and it can even be compressed a little. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by griesl View Post
    No problem. If you are moving to a 4 season setup, also keep in mind that the SF has a lot more coverage than the cuben (or at least the one I have). The difference between 8.5 and 10 feet of total width doesn't sound like a lot, but I noticed the difference on the cuben on my last trip where it was 20 degrees and high winds. Also, to give you an idea of pack size, I stuffed my cuben into the SF sack, and it fit, but it was tight and couldn't be compressed at all. When I stuff my SF in the same sack, there's a little room to spare, and it can even be compressed a little. Good luck.
    Would love to hear more on the superfly vs. Hammockgear 4S Cuben Fiber as I'm flip floppin' on them...

Also is there a downside to using tensioners?

-Stephen

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    It came today! Didnt get a shipping notice ...oh well. Still super fast turn around. Tried to add door ties as well but I dont think the email made it in time....no big deal. Looks great. Its alot of cuben. Packing is alot more dense...I
    Using snake skins and its like a stiff, moldable tube. Its a learning curve but no worries. I had a BMJ before this...for some reason.mine was only 9.5 wide (yes stretched tight) but the Cuben being 8.5 is a big difference..well covered still but gonna have to see how it handles next winter. Pics and trails and errors to come. Weighed 6.7oz plus a .2oz SS. Gonna try prussick /guy lines and 3/32 bungie on the doors. Kimda curious how it will hold up with the ridgeline under the tarp.

I'll preface this by saying I know next to nothing about cuben, except it was designed for sailboats.

I would be worried about developing a seam over time where the mylar coating might wear. Then again, the line we use is generally pretty slick and ideally the tarp shouldn't move once tied down over the ridgeline. Just something to think about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12