Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images

A common-sense approach to using Underquilts?

So I've been thinking (a lot) about the adjustments you make for proper fit to underquilts, and I was wondering if these statements could be considered true (this is for a grade by the way!). If I have some basic concepts to grasp, it's much easier for me to know what to adjust when. Tell me what you experts think and if what I'm saying here could be true (or if I'm just full of ****...as usual! ):

1. The suspension system provided with a JRB Nest, adjusts how much dead air space there is between the bottom of the hammock and the quilt (too much, slide the suspension out to bring the underquilt up, too little, slide the suspension inward to lower the underquilt)

2. The two shock cords at each end of the underquilt adjust how much airflow there is between the deadspace between the hammock/underquilt (so in cold temps...keep those suckers cinched up to keep warm air in, or hotter temps, open them up and let cool air rush through)

3. Achieving the perfect "fit" depends on temps/wind and the adjustment of dead airspace (suspension) and air flow (cinched ends).
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    So I've been thinking (a lot) about the adjustments you make for proper fit to underquilts, and I was wondering if these statements could be considered true (this is for a grade by the way!). If I have some basic concepts to grasp, it's much easier for me to know what to adjust when. Tell me what you experts think and if what I'm saying here could be true (or if I'm just full of ****...as usual! ):

1. The suspension system provided with a JRB Nest, adjusts how much dead air space there is between the bottom of the hammock and the quilt (too much, slide the suspension out to bring the underquilt up, too little, slide the suspension inward to lower the underquilt)

2. The two shock cords at each end of the underquilt adjust how much airflow there is between the deadspace between the hammock/underquilt (so in cold temps...keep those suckers cinched up to keep warm air in, or hotter temps, open them up and let cool air rush through)

3. Achieving the perfect "fit" depends on temps/wind and the adjustment of dead airspace (suspension) and air flow (cinched ends).
    Michele...

You got it mostly right....the end cords are normally drawn down to 15-17 inches between the toggles for most folk with a well hung hammock to close off all chimney effect.... if you cinch them beyond that you loose warmth on the head and shoulders and adversely affect the proper side angle from the left shoulder to the top of the HH head end Knot.... You should really try to come on the Mt Rogers trip next weekend...Great number of experienced folk and great array of gear will be there...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Hey Pan and anyone else going to Mt. Rodgers weekend...

Why doesn't someone take a Video Camera with and do a video ala Shane Steinkamp about tying the knot on an HH and some of the other things he has done. This way you or whoever does this and posts it will be doing those who may not be in a position to make these weekend getaways a chance to see someone doing the adjustments correctly.

Just a thought! Like I have said before, 'sometimes pictures are far better than words!' Hell it may help some who have been struggling with getting lower temps from yours and others products out there.

TOG

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    if nothing else, i can take movies w/ the olympus 720 sw camera i use now.
    i & others have been impressed w/ the quality of movies (w/ sound) that little camera takes.
    i have a 1 gb card & a smaller card that will hold quite a bit. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Michele...

You got it mostly right....the end cords are normally drawn down to 15-17 inches between the toggles for most folk with a well hung hammock to close off all chimney effect.... if you cinch them beyond that you loose warmth on the head and shoulders and adversely affect the proper side angle from the left shoulder to the top of the HH head end Knot.... You should really try to come on the Mt Rogers trip next weekend...Great number of experienced folk and great array of gear will be there...

Pan
    Ok, that makes total sense actually. Cinching at the end does bring those end portions up closer to the hammock, which I could see causing some possible insulation compression issues if drawn too tightly.

Unfortunately, I'm moving next weekend (my apartment looks like a box store right now!) I feel like I'm understanding, conceptually, the mechanics a bit better now, I've just gotta get out there w/a friend and get some help adjusting it properly. Like I told Hammock Engineer, I'd guess that within 2 weeks of the beginning of our thru's, we'll both have it down to a science due to the repetition. Thanks for the insight!

Oh...I'd LOVE to see a video if someone takes it at Mt. Rogers.
    This is my signature.

• + New Posts