Eno double nest / WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba w/doors
    Insulation
    20* Incubator
    Suspension
    diy woppie slings

single verse two piece tarp ridge line

Hey everone noob question #99 I have been working with a one piece tarp ridge line but keeping the tarp centered over it seams to be difficult for me my concern will the tarp be damaged from line or shold i use a two piece ridge line???

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    you could try pitching the tarp underneath your ridgeline as opposed to on top of it, and see if that works better for you. If not I know there are many people who simply tie out the tarp from each end without using a full ridgeline.
    with two m's, like "hammock."

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I run my tarp ridgeline under my tarp. I'm sure that there could be some eventual damage caused, but I've yet to see even the slightest bit of wear on my tarp or ridgeline in the year I've been using this setup. I have it up atleast once a week even if I'm just hanging in my backyard.

Love my hammock.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    I'm a fan of the two piece system. 10' each, fixed loop tied in one end. One of Dutch's tarp flyz or Fig9 threaded onto each line. Loop around tree -> feed end and hardware of choice through loop -> bring hardware back "closish" to tree and secure -> get out tarp -> loose end of line through tarp RL tieout point (D-rings or split rings like the superfly) -> back to the hardware for tension.

I like it because I throw the lines up separately, then add the tarp. Step back, make an adjustment or two, and I'm done.

My .02 in the jar.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I used to have two separate ridgeline guys to save the weight of 10-12' of Zing-it, all 5 grams

But last year I tried the continuous tarp ridgeline and I'll never go back!
    With the two piece setup, I was running back and forth, countless times, to center the tarp.
    Now I keep the tarp permanently atatched to the ridgeline so now I simply slide the tarp into place. it's the best 5 grams I've added to my pack!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I used to have two separate ridgeline guys to save the weight of 10-12' of Zing-it, all 5 grams

But last year I tried the continuous tarp ridgeline and I'll never go back!
    With the two piece setup, I was running back and forth, countless times, to center the tarp.
    Now I keep the tarp permanently atatched to the ridgeline so now I simply slide the tarp into place. it's the best 5 grams I've added to my pack!
    Amen. For ease of set-up, a set of snakeskins (or Velcro ties) and a CRL are hard to beat. At least, I've not seen anything easier...

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I use a continuous ridgeline, here's how.

I start with a length of cord about 30 feet long. In one end I tie a bowline loop. Any more-or-less fixed loop will do. I clip a hammockforums micro biner on to the loop, I'll get back to that later.

Now you need two prusik loops. Some folks use other knots that work in a similar way. They both get attached to your ridgeline, one near where each end of the tarp will attach. I clip another Hammockforums microbiner on to each prusik, and on to the tarp (sorry but no other micro biner will do )

Ok, so it's time to set the ridgeline. It doesn't really matter if the tarp is attached yet. Wrap the bowline end around a tree, and clip the micro-biner over the ridgeline... one end done!

Now, pull the ridgeline over to the other tree and tie a trucker's hitch. With the trucker's hitch you can make that ridgeline guitar-string-tight.

Clip the tarp to the prusiks if it's not already there, and simply slide the prusiks to where you want the tarp corners to end up on the ridgeline, tensioning the tarp while you're at it. You can clip the tarp above or below the ridgeline, your call. The pictured prusik loop is longer than it needs to be, I have shortened it since.

Hopefully you've got a plan for your stake tie-outs. I like to tie a marlin spike hitch, that's just me, there's gotta be 50 good ways to do it though.

• + New Posts