Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Are you sure it is not your WALLS making the sounds? There is a surprising amount of pull on the ends of your hammock, I was very surprised when I learned how much pull was involved.

One video I was watching on this site suggested being very careful about where you hang your hammock, when using something other than trees.

I do not know if your Home Owner or Renters Insurance will cover damage done by a hammock. Kind of an interesting thought!

If I were Eagles Nest Outfitter, I would not give you advise, for fear of some sort of liabilty issue. Ah, Life in the Sue Happy USA.

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    Are you sure it is not your WALLS making the sounds? There is a surprising amount of pull on the ends of your hammock, I was very surprised when I learned how much pull was involved.

One video I was watching on this site suggested being very careful about where you hang your hammock, when using something other than trees.

I do not know if your Home Owner or Renters Insurance will cover damage done by a hammock. Kind of an interesting thought!

If I were Eagles Nest Outfitter, I would not give you advise, for fear of some sort of liabilty issue. Ah, Life in the Sue Happy USA.
    I tore the drywall all to pieces in my apartment with an improperly installed screw hook. But a little spackling and paint and the landlord will never know.

I would think that if the walls are making noise when you get in your hammock, then something hasnt been done right. a normal 2x4 stud should be able to hold a persons weight if a sturdy screw hook has been installed right in the middle of the stud. im set up that way and havent had any issues with 20+ nights in the hammock so far.
    with two m's, like "hammock."

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    I really dont think you have to worry about the weight issue. I'm 300lbs and all but jump around in mine. You will be fine no need to worry. Just take your time. If it helps any place your old mattress under your hammock, should relieve any fear of falling.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bling View Post
    I have the hammock hanging as close to 30* as I could guess, but I feel like I am moving around in it wrong. It doesn't help that I also keep hearing what i THINK may or may not be stitches popping at the gathered ends.
    Philosophers would refer to this as a leap of faith. You aren't alone in your hesitation. I would bet that most of us spent the first few nights in a hammock with similar concerns. Some of us eventually do go splat, which has created a mantra of "never hang higher than you are willing to fall". But the likelihood of the stitches popping are very, very, very low. It's usually 'stupid' that puts us on the ground...even if it seemed smart at the time.

Agreed that your biggest source of worry should come from the manner in which you have attached your hammock to your home. A stand will make that worry go away and enough rocking yourself to sleep in the hammock will make the rest of your fears melt away. We are lucky at our house, we have exposed rafters in the room that we use as a bedroom. Takes all the worry and hassle away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    If it helps any place your old mattress under your hammock, should relieve any fear of falling.
    I actually set-up my first hammock directly above my bed for just this reason. For about 3 weeks, I had to climb out of my hammock in the mornings, onto my bed, then down to the floor. Finally got tired of the extra landing and just ditched the bed. One of the few 'good decisions' I've made in life.

We (GF and I) sleep full-time in hammocks at home. If it helps you understand how well these hammocks are constructed, we aren't so old that all we do in the hammocks is sleep. Haven't hit the ground yet.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    I remember my first hang in the woods.. MyENO and ENO straps made more noise than i cared to hear....After a few nights it became second nature, I got rid of the ENO straps and bought some of Mules specials.

I weigh in at 250, and move all over the hammock at night, and have yet to have any problems. have faith in your knots, straps, and your bolts in the wall...the rest is easy sleeping...
    Jerry
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bling View Post
    I have the hammock hanging as close to 30* as I could guess, but I feel like I am moving around in it wrong.
    Is it not comfortable? If you have that 30* angle, it should be about right. If less - like I had this past weekend, you'll get shoulder squeeze & it puts you down the middle. I lay diagonal across the centerline as much as I can & can almost sleep on my side.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    While 30* is the suggested angle for comfort, all people are different. When all else fails, remember it is your hammock and hang your own hang. If a narrower or bigger angle feels better, then go for it. Try making yourself an adjustable ridge line to experiment with some angles.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12