WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

2012 Spring MAHHA pre-hang hike April 26 & 27

Discussion thread for those interested in the pre-hang hike Thursday, April 26, & Friday, April 27, prior to the 2012 Spring MAHHA gathering...

As of earlier today the spreadsheet had six "Yes" and six "Maybe" for this hike (plus another "maybe" from within the 'invite' thread)...

It's ~19 miles from Caledonia SP to Pine Grove Furnace SP...
    It is my understanding that the Birch Run shelter would be the 'target' Thursday night location (~9.4 miles from Caledonia, leaving ~9.6 miles to PGF on Friday)...
    (An option for 'late arrivals' Thursday would be to use the Shippensburg Road parking area and hike ~1.4 miles southbound to Birch Run shelter...)

This will be my first "hike in" to a gathering (& only my second MAHHA)... I'm looking forward to it! Come and join in if you can!!

Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Sweet! Good idea!

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    I am in for the Pre-Hike. Will work out details of getting there...Most likely Wednesday night @ PGF then shuttle to Caledonia off Route 30 for Thursday morning start.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS
    I'm definitely in, come rain or come shine... (but hopefully 'shine', of course! )

I'll be coming down Wednesday afternoon to hang out 'somewhere' overnight - might even consider hiking in from Caledonia the ~2 miles to Quarry Gap Shelter area and wait there for the Thursday starters...
    With Daylight Savings Time soon starting, sunset for Wednesday, 4/25, will be ~8 PM and 'twilight' ~8:30 PM, so there's some evening hiking time available...
    Any thoughts from others on Quarry Gap Wednesday night?

Shuttle between PGF & Caledonia is only ~14 miles/20 minutes one way on Pine Grove Road (Rte. 233) - so if anyone else is interested in the Quarry Gap option for Wednesday night, I'd be glad to shuttle from PGF before or after the hike... After the hike it should be 'easy' (~45 minutes) to shuttle all vehicles back to PGF either Friday afternoon/evening or after breakfast Saturday (still leaving time to day-hike to Pole Steeple Sat. for those so inclined )...
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm not exactly sure of the how of it all but I think MML and I may be with you on Wednesday night. It has to get a little closer to be able to say for certain when and where on shuttles and timeframes ect. It still is good to be thinking of it though because it will be here before ya know. From the sounds of it this may be a big numbers pre hang/hike! Goody! The more that go the more you'll know.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Hi Jim,

Count me in for the hike. I will probably have 2 people; I signed up on the spreadsheet. Looking forward to some trail dust and a little "tree time!"

Home Run

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Ill know a little more about the shuttle later. But def thinkin Wed night would be a fun addition. Nice 4-5 day vacay.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS
    But def thinkin Wed night would be a fun addition. Nice 4-5 day vacay.
    That's what I thought, too! Had to take 2 days vacation for the hang itself - which I definitely didn't want to miss this year, then added yet another one for the hike (for graveyard shift Thursday night), and have Wednesday & Thursday (daylight) off... Only 'bad' thing being I have to leave somewhat 'early' Sunday - having to work graveyard shift Sunday night...
    It will be a nice break doing something that I love - and a bonus being with some others having the same 'addiction'!
    Also get to trail test some new gear - and hopefully will have a cuben tarp by then, too - all part of the prep for some very LONG HIKES starting next year!

There's still plenty of time to make further & final arrangements - and maybe somebody will come up with other possible options, also... I'm 'open' to suggestions on what to do Wednesday afternoon & evening if others are available - all I know is that I will definitely 'hang' somewhere Wednesday night!!
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by enyapjr View Post
    That's what I thought, too! Had to take 2 days vacation for the hang itself - which I definitely didn't want to miss this year, then added yet another one for the hike (for graveyard shift Thursday night), and have Wednesday & Thursday (daylight) off... Only 'bad' thing being I have to leave somewhat 'early' Sunday - having to work graveyard shift Sunday night...
    It will be a nice break doing something that I love - and a bonus being with some others having the same 'addiction'!
    Also get to trail test some new gear - and hopefully will have a cuben tarp by then, too - all part of the prep for some very LONG HIKES starting next year!

There's still plenty of time to make further & final arrangements - and maybe somebody will come up with other possible options, also... I'm 'open' to suggestions on what to do Wednesday afternoon & evening if others are available - all I know is that I will definitely 'hang' somewhere Wednesday night!!
    Im wearing the gear makers out. Getting a few final items ordered. Looking forward to the same. Its time for some R&R, just wish it was this wed. Hahah

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by enyapjr View Post
    I'm definitely in, come rain or come shine... (but hopefully 'shine', of course! )

I'll be coming down Wednesday afternoon to hang out 'somewhere' overnight - might even consider hiking in from Caledonia the ~2 miles to Quarry Gap Shelter area and wait there for the Thursday starters...
    With Daylight Savings Time soon starting, sunset for Wednesday, 4/25, will be ~8 PM and 'twilight' ~8:30 PM, so there's some evening hiking time available...
    Any thoughts from others on Quarry Gap Wednesday night?

Shuttle between PGF & Caledonia is only ~14 miles/20 minutes one way on Pine Grove Road (Rte. 233) - so if anyone else is interested in the Quarry Gap option for Wednesday night, I'd be glad to shuttle from PGF before or after the hike... After the hike it should be 'easy' (~45 minutes) to shuttle all vehicles back to PGF either Friday afternoon/evening or after breakfast Saturday (still leaving time to day-hike to Pole Steeple Sat. for those so inclined )...
    All,

I'm coming from Cincinnati and plan to arrive early Wed evening PGF area. It'd be nice to meet up with you guys, hang Wed eve, shuttle, however it works out for the Thurs AM start. Let me know, looking forward to some R&R.

Home Run

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast