Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

First Look - Grand Trunk Hammock Sleeping Bag (Prototype, Pic Heavy)

Okay, I finally got around to measuring out the new Grand Trunk Hammock Sleeping Bag. I received this bag as part of a promo event Grand Trunk sponsored last night. I had this bag wrapped around a hammock at the event and it sure got a lot of attention.

PLEASE NOTE: This bag is a pre-production model. The folks at GT told me that they were finishing the design specs with the Chinese manufacturing plant. There may be changes to the final product so take that into account.

The bag I received did not have any hang tags. The measurements are my own.

Width at Shoulders: 31 in. (79 cm.)
    Width at Foot: 21 in. (53 cm.)
    (Foot tapers off to 13 in. (33 cm.) at the end)
    Length: 85 in. (2.2 m.)
    Weight: 45.5 oz. (1.3 kg.) (2.8 lbs.)

Head Pass-through Hole: 6 in. (15 cm.)
    Foot Pass-through Hole: 5 in. (13 cm.)

Temperature Rating: Unknown (the loft is around 1 in./2.5 cm. so my best guess is that this is a 1-season, summer bag, maybe 45-50°F/7-10°C).

* Two side zippers (59 in./1.5 m. in length)
    * Independent front and top drawstrings on the hood
    * Synthetic fill
    * Two tie-outs at the head pass-through
    * Four tie-outs at the foot pass-through
    * Heavy-duty shock cord on the head and foot ends
    * Head and foot pass-through zippered holes with draft flaps
    * An inner, zippered pocket (easily fits small electronics like an iPod or iPhone)
    * Draft collar around hood
    * Draft tubes on each side zipper

INSTALLATION

Probably obvious, but this bag only works with simple, end-gathered hammocks. In my testing, smaller hammocks work best (e.g., GT Nano, GT Ultralight, GT Single, ENO Single, Planet Hammock Single, etc.) based on the length of the sleeping bag.

The pass-through holes are secured with a small zipper. Unzip both holes and thread the hammock through the sleeping bag and hang the hammock.

GETTING IN THE BAG

The two side zippers unzip to 59 in. (1.5 m.) on both sides. I found that if both zippers were open, the bag really flopped to the ground. I kept the left zipper up and the right zipper open. This made it easy to enter the bag and hammock.

To zip up the bag, I turned the bag so the left-hand zipper was on top and I was able to easily close up the bag. The draw cords are on the left side of the hood, so I had to turn and straighten the bag to grab and then cinch the drawstrings.

GETTING A FLAT LAY

This sleeping bag is narrow, very much a mummy-style bag. What does this mean for a hammock? Well, it makes it difficult to get a flatter, diagonal lay. With a foot and head hole at only 5 in. (13 cm.) and the bag only 31 in. (79 cm.) at its _widest_, having a hammock any wider is not only a waste of fabric, but unnecessary. The small openings and narrow bag width also restrict how far you can move left-to-right or vice-versa.

To get a "flat" lay, you'd really have to string a hammock very tight, almost horizontal. Hopefully most people know that this will result in excessive force and stress on the hammock and the suspension lines and anchor points. This is just a little dangerous. As you can see from my photos, I had a slight sag in my hammock. I could only slightly move into a diagonal, but you can see from the shape of the bag that if you try to slip into a diagonal position, you also work against the design of the bag, in particular, the hood. From everything I can tell, this bag was meant to be slept in a straight position.

The hammock used in the photos is the single camouflage hammock from Planet Hammock. I typically hang this hammock with a much bigger sag and can get a nice diagonal lay without the sleeping bag.

INITIAL THOUGHTS

The biggest issue for me is that this bag constricts the diagonal lay of a hammock. In my opinion, the diagonal lay is the single most important selling point for a hammock to achieve the comfort we rave about. Without the diagonal lay, I'm stuck in a "banana" shape and my legs quickly feel strained.

With the synthetic fill and minimal loft, I would speculate that this bag would be best in the warmth of summer. The zippers would allow for a lot of venting if necessary. Testing in my house at 65°F (18°C), I was comfortable. I haven't tested this bag outdoors yet.

Personally, I'd prefer a single top/center zip instead of the two side zippers. The side zippers are not easy to pull up once it passes my hip. Turning the bag so the zipper was in front of me made the process easier.

I've used a DIY pull-over bag for an entire winter season a few years ago. That bag (a down-filled Kelty Galactic 35) was rectangular with no hood. Using a small hammock (the GT Nano), I was able to get a minor diagonal hang, but with a lot of shoulder strain. It's not my ideal set-up. The pull-up bag was warm, and I liked that, but I had to sacrifice some comfort.

I'll wait to hold off any final review until I can see and perhaps test the Grand Trunk Hammock Sleeping Bag in its final form.

Here you can see the hood draft collar and the inner zippered pocket.

ABOVE: This shows the draft tubes on the side zippers.

ABOVE: This is me laying inline with the hammock and the bag.

ABOVE: This is me trying to go "diagonal." Not much difference.

ABOVE: I dropped the hammock lower for a deeper sag, removed the bag, and got a flatter, diagonal lay. I couldn't get the bag over me in this position.

Last edited by dejoha; 03-03-2012 at 22:29.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    I think its a good concept...but the need to make it so we can lay diagonal...

That look very uncomfortable.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    That looks awesome
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Nice review Dejoha. I'm guessing that's a little heavier than you'd prefer for a summer (or even winter) setup, but the concept is nice.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ftroop94 View Post
    Nice review Dejoha. I'm guessing that's a little heavier than you'd prefer for a summer (or even winter) setup, but the concept is nice.
    Thanks. Yes, a lot heavier The concept is nice, however, the longer I try to imagine a comfortable pull-over bag solution, I think that bridge hammocks may be the better fit. Gathered-end hammocks with a proper diagonal lay create those huge "wings" that make it difficult to surround without constricting the lay of the hammock.

I don't want to stifle creativity and innovation, but I wonder if a two-piece (top/bottom quilt) system is the most efficient system.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Thanks. Yes, a lot heavier The concept is nice, however, the longer I try to imagine a comfortable pull-over bag solution, I think that bridge hammocks may be the better fit. Gathered-end hammocks with a proper diagonal lay create those huge "wings" that make it difficult to surround without constricting the lay of the hammock.

I don't want to stifle creativity and innovation, but I wonder if a two-piece (top/bottom quilt) system is the most efficient system.
    Interesting point about the bridge hammock being better for a pull over design. Due to being able to lay straight down the middle, in fact the only way you can lay.

But, I'm sure with some more thinking this can be solved. But right now it looks like the original PeaPod is still the one to beat. No exit hole for the hammock, just simply wrapping around the hammock from end to end, or nearly so. I have zero problems getting diagonal in my Claytor No Net or some other hammocks. And the 20F model is the about same weight as this one.

Were you able to use the hood? Looks like it is kind of far from your head at least during your test. It also looks kind of small on the hammock. Hence the limited diagonal?

Is the 1" loft a single layer loft? If so, it might be warmer than you think. For example, I have found 2.5 oz/sq.yd Climashield warm into the 40s, and that only had 0.6" single layer loft.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Were you able to use the hood? Looks like it is kind of far from your head at least during your test. It also looks kind of small on the hammock. Hence the limited diagonal?

Is the 1" loft a single layer loft? If so, it might be warmer than you think. For example, I have found 2.5 oz/sq.yd Climashield warm into the 40s, and that only had 0.6" single layer loft.
    The hood was tricky, but I don't have photos of me in it (I was using a self-timer).

From the tip of the hood to the foot box, the bag is 85 inches long. I'd say that was a regular-sized sleeping bag. But, the bag, with its limited width, does constrain the ability to sleep diagonally. So, yes, the bag is small for the hammock in that sense. Unlike a PeaPod, it doesn't reach end-to-end on a hammock.

Let's say, for argument's sake, the bag were wider and I could get a better diagonal lay -- the traditional hood design does not accommodate a diagonal lay. When I shift to one side, the other side leaves a space in the hood opening. The bag is designed to sleep inline with the hammock.

The loft is single layer, so yes, it could be warmer. A true test will tell. Personally, however, I find synthetics universally colder than down. A 0°F-rated synthetic bag has left me freezing in 32°F weather. I'll reserve judgement on the warmth when the bag is finished and is given a real-world test.

True confession: I haven't tried the Speer PeaPod yet (anyone want to share?), so I can't speak directly to how it works. From what I've seen, I like the extra width and the head hole in the center. That seems to be an innovative solution. Plus, the PeaPod really conforms to the hammock shape.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    I think its a good concept...but the need to make it so we can lay diagonal...
    Someone needs to make a pod where the hammock is strung underneath the shoulder and out the foot-box on the opposite side.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    dejoha-
    excellent review, a lot of effort spent.
    This is important because there are some of us looking at ones like the FF Wren, the Wallcreeper,etc. in this application and you've shown to do this negates the diagonal/flat lay most of us love and/or have to have.
    I think what I saw in the pics screems 'great system for kids' and maybe the side sleepers like MillerGear and others might get an application out of it.
    Now the bridge use in conjunction with this type of 'overbag' might give the same problems we had with the PeaPod in 'trough' hammocks--and that is how to heat all the space between body and the insulation--remember it was BillyBob who showed that in the shallow hammocks like the Traveler types the space to be heated can be eliminated for the most part because the PeaPod drapes either closer or onto the body.
    For this particular 'overbag' I cringed at the weight but at least this is one manuf. that is attempting to pull off a one solution so I give them credit for that.
    Thanks again for a thorough review.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I'm just spitballing here, and I have no idea if this would work or even be comfortable.

What if you pulled the hammock tight, instead of having the sag we all love, so that one could sleep flatter down the midline? Perhaps the people at Grandtrunk designed this system with that idea in mind.

Or maybe they should have made it yellow so that you could lo0ok even more like a banana.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast