Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

??? The Timber hitch and Sheet Bend ???

Was helping my neighbor's son (Boy Scout 2nd class) with some scouting knots. When it dawned on me. These two knots might work with a hammock.

Has anyone tried using a Timber hitch for their tree hugger and a sheet bend to attach the hammock line to the tree hugger?

Is it because a Timber hitch with webbing won't hold or won't untie as easy as rope?
    Would a Sheet Bend not work with webbing and amsteel?

Timber Hitch
    http://www.animatedknots.com/timber/...matedknots.com

Sheet Bend
    http://www.animatedknots.com/sheetbe...matedknots.com

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    TadPole Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Timber Hitch worked well But I never tried the sheet bend with a hammock
    Doing More with less....

Dum Tacet Clamat!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TomsBackwoods?feature=mhum

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I used the Sheet Bend while I was making my first hammock. It held very well and was easy to undo, making it useful to try different lengths. Once I had the length I wanted, I made a channel to run my suspension through.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    The Sheet Bend is a miracle "knot". While guiding elk hunters, we carry large spools of nylon/poly rope to use when towing harvested elk up out of the steep and deep gulches. We use the sheet bend to tie the different spools of rope together until we have enough length to reach the dead elk, hook to a 4-wheel drive vehicle and start towing. Believe me when I say there is a tremendous amount of force generated! When it comes time to untie the ends, they come right out, no trouble. We have never had one come loose. The sheet bend is only good under tension though; if it gets much slack, then it can come loose. There would be absolutely no worry about it holding you up, but if there was no weight in the hammock and there was some movement in the hammock with little or no weight on the lines, it could slip or come loose.

We have tied the slippery twisted poly lines together and they held, though it takes a bit more care to see that they draw down properly. I haven't tried with the super slippery amsteel. I really haven't used the timber hitch enough to have much experience with it.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've used a sheet bend with webbing through continuous loops in the ends of some of my hammocks. Worked well and untied fairly easily. Timber hitch should work on the tree I think.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I've used a sheet bend with webbing through continuous loops in the ends of some of my hammocks. Worked well and untied fairly easily.
    I do that to, with a spliced loop in the suspension as the blue rope on that animatedknots photo. If the webbing is exactly the right size for the tree then I larks head the suspension onto the stitched loop of the webbing, but on smaller trees I use a sheet bend.

This is backwards from the normal structure of a sheet bend with ropes of different sizes - the "right" way round does allow the amsteel to slip even with a double sheet bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Timber hitch should work on the tree I think.
    But Im not seeing any advantage over a stitched loop.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tdickenson View Post

But Im not seeing any advantage over a stitched loop.
    I suppose an advantage is when you are setting up and you find the stitching on the loop has been compromised somehow and can longer trust it and you have lost your carabiner, the timber hitch would allow you to secure the webbing without having to tie a water knot and then feed the webbing through it. Just a thought. I've never used it but it could come in handy one day.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    Thanks for your thoughts fella's.
    I just thought a person wanting the lightest weight rigging would use these knots.
    A simple amsteel length from the hammock and a simple 1" wide strap for the tree.
    When I get some time to play in the backyard I plan to try these knots to just find out if they hold.

Hammock
    Hennessee Hammock, DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    8x10 sil nylon
    Suspension
    Tied cordage
    Images
    I've been thinking about my setup in the last few days. I've got a HH, with the stock suspension. I've been using 1" webbing through a sewn loop on the tree end, with a carabiner to connect the hammock line. I've tied a small Farmer's loop (or Alpine Butterfly, I'm not sure which) very close to the hammock on each end that I can use in a Trucker's hitch, secured with half hitches.

I'm about to change that plan to something I hope is quicker and easier to rig. I'll keep the webbing with the loop on the tree end, but use a Marlin Spike hitch with a toggle instead of a carabiner to connect the hammock line, and then a simple Sheet Bend to secure the main line to my Farmer's Loop.

I figure this method will be the least amount of gear (no metal, a found stick will work just fine as a toggle), and super quick to tie. I can put in a Marlin Spike hitch faster than I can say it, and the sheet bend is close to as quick. Taking the rig down will be even faster.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

• + New Posts