Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    It depends if someone who doesn't have a canoe wants to come with and needs a seat (Grizz?.) As long as they can motor, I've got no problem with that. I've shared a hull with a wide range of paddlers, and as long as I don't have to fight a 30 mph cross wind on an open lake with an inexperienced paddler in a snowstorm (my last BWCA trip,) I can handle it. I had shoulder surgery last summer, and it's not all the way back yet.
    Hey all...I'm in Indy and I might me up for a Michigan canoe trip if you need another.
    I have limited canoe expirence...5 BWCA trips and multiple lake Kayak trips but not much canoe on a river expirence.
    I don't own a canoe or kayak anymore...so I'd have to tag along with another.

If you need/want another, a questions... Dates for the trip? (vacation/school purposes) .

Let me know. If not, no worries!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Hey all...I'm in Indy and I might me up for a Michigan canoe trip if you need another.
    I have limited canoe expirence...5 BWCA trips and multiple lake Kayak trips but not much canoe on a river expirence.

If you need/want another, a questions... Dates for the trip? (vacation/school purposes) .

We live so close we could carpool all the way up. I actually have an extra kayak, a Prodegy 10 made by Perception. The problem would be hauling it. I have room for only one boat on top of my car, but if we can work it out you are welcome to use it for the trip. I will be using a canoe. Steve
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles

Still have not nailed down a date. I am waiting to hear from another group I have scheduled for an outfitted trip. When we get it figured out, I will let you know for sure. We will probably go sometime in Sept. or Oct. Fewer bugs and people, long nights around the fire. I also have a kayak if you want, and I have a discovery old town 174 canoe that is available as well. If we need, we can always rent from the livery I work with too. Boats won't be a problem. If need be, I can haul up to two canoes and two kayaks.

I will post as more develops.

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    We live so close we could carpool all the way up. I actually have an extra kayak, a Prodegy 10 made by Perception. The problem would be hauling it. I have room for only one boat on top of my car, but if we can work it out you are welcome to use it for the trip. I will be using a canoe. Steve
    I can re-rig my trailer as a canoe/kayak hauler if need be.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

You 3 guys are great!
    Mule...carpooling for sure!
    This far out, I'm pretty flexible. Weekend of Sept 13-14th is out but otherwise I'm good. Just need enough notice to save vacation time and let the boss (wife) know when I'm gone.
    As far as boats, we have plenty of time to work that out. My first thought is worst case senario is renting one up there but that is plenty doable (saves transportation headaches)
    I have never been in a boat in "cooler" weather. I've been snowshoe camping outside of Cadillac 4-5 times but never on the water as late as Oct. You might have to coach me on the necessary boating attire that late. I love learning new outdoor skills!!
    Keep me in the loop for sure

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    You 3 guys are great!
    Mule...carpooling for sure!
    This far out, I'm pretty flexible. Weekend of Sept 13-14th is out but otherwise I'm good. Just need enough notice to save vacation time and let the boss (wife) know when I'm gone.
    As far as boats, we have plenty of time to work that out. My first thought is worst case senario is renting one up there but that is plenty doable (saves transportation headaches)
    I have never been in a boat in "cooler" weather. I've been snowshoe camping outside of Cadillac 4-5 times but never on the water as late as Oct. You might have to coach me on the necessary boating attire that late. I love learning new outdoor skills!!
    Keep me in the loop for sure
    I'd rather be in a boat in October than in July! And I'd rather be camping in November than August. Boating attire? Well, Muffy and I usually wear the most spiffy outfits....

Easily removable layers that dry quickly, because your temp and the outside temp is more variable in the fall.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I'd rather be in a boat in October than in July! And I'd rather be camping in November than August. Boating attire? Well, Muffy and I usually wear the most spiffy outfits....

Easily removable layers that dry quickly, because your temp and the outside temp is more variable in the fall.

Most critical! No capsize. I have paddled in white out conditions, 40 mph winds with 24 inches of snow. Not intentionally, got caught in a winter storm. It was truly scary. The most important thing is to simply stay focused. The Manistee is a friendly river IF you pay attention. To quote a park ranger I talked with at the Rocky Mountain National Park, "Nature teaches stupid people."

I am still a believer in wool. While I take some polar tec, and the high tec stuff, I still wear wool sweaters, shirts, jackets, hats, gloves, and socks. It is great stuff. Smart Wool comes from sheep with high IQ's, and Virgin Wool comes from really fast sheep. (grin) Actually, smart wool is blended in a way that gives the benefits of wool, with the feel of cotton. Great stuff.

We will watch the weather report, and I have packing lists prepared for groups I take that will give you some ideas as to what to pack for cold weather boating. I also take slip over boots, what we called chore boots when I was a kid. They are light weight rubber and nearly knee high. I wear wool socks with my Chacos and slide the boots right over them. I am warm, and high and dry.

I also have lots of waterproof bags, etc. if needed. I have gear for about 12 people fully outiftted. All ground dweller stuff!! Guess we won't be needing any tents huh!

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Most critical! No capsize. I have paddled in white out conditions, 40 mph winds with 24 inches of snow. Not intentionally, got caught in a winter storm. It was truly scary. The most important thing is to simply stay focused. The Manistee is a friendly river IF you pay attention. To quote a park ranger I talked with at the Rocky Mountain National Park, "Nature teaches stupid people."

I am still a believer in wool. While I take some polar tec, and the high tec stuff, I still wear wool sweaters, shirts, jackets, hats, gloves, and socks. It is great stuff. Smart Wool comes from sheep with high IQ's, and Virgin Wool comes from really fast sheep. (grin) Actually, smart wool is blended in a way that gives the benefits of wool, with the feel of cotton. Great stuff.

We will watch the weather report, and I have packing lists prepared for groups I take that will give you some ideas as to what to pack for cold weather boating. I also take slip over boots, what we called chore boots when I was a kid. They are light weight rubber and nearly knee high. I wear wool socks with my Chacos and slide the boots right over them. I am warm, and high and dry.

I also have lots of waterproof bags, etc. if needed. I have gear for about 12 people fully outiftted. All ground dweller stuff!! Guess we won't be needing any tents huh!

David
    Wool is an excellent layer for colder weather, and retains heat when wet. It's all I wear outdoors in the winter - layers of breathable materials close to the skin with one or two outer shells of wool (shirt, jacket, pants, sweater.) But it could be 80 degrees still in late september, early october., and wool is NOT good then. I use LaCrosse Burly's if the weather is cold or wet, or my lightweight gore-tex hikers if warm.

Cotton in colder weather can be a killer, especially if it gets wet. NO CAPSIZE is right - I've darn near died from hypothermia dumping in a river in early spring by being foolish - thankfully, you only do that once, and then you learn or end up pushin daisies. Wearing cotton didn't help either, it sucks the heat right out of your body. On a medium to fast moving river, you have to always be vigilant or you can be in a world of hurt, quickly. Make sure you have a decent PFD, made for paddling. It helps for freedom of movement to use something designed for paddling rather than for fishing or just plain boating. Also it is more comfortable, so you'll leave it on. A PFD doesn't do you any good if it's floating 20 ft away from you.
    My 2.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    The weather there is very fickle in the fall. I paddled the last week of October one year and it was 80 degrees, paddled in shorts with no shirt, two weeks later I paddled and had 20 degrees, high winds, and 18 inches of snow.

We will watch it. I also forgot to mention the importance of the first layer. To reiterate, cotton is evil!! My favorite is capilene, or silk! Capilene is #1 for me, then silk, then polypropylene. Sheesh, not even the 4th of July and talking cold weather crap. That is preplanning for sure.

David

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    The weather there is very fickle in the fall. I paddled the last week of October one year and it was 80 degrees, paddled in shorts with no shirt, two weeks later I paddled and had 20 degrees, high winds, and 18 inches of snow.

We will watch it. I also forgot to mention the importance of the first layer. To reiterate, cotton is evil!! My favorite is capilene, or silk! Capilene is #1 for me, then silk, then polypropylene. Sheesh, not even the 4th of July and talking cold weather crap. That is preplanning for sure.

David
    But I like cold weather!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast