Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images

Some DIY Stuff

Here's the results of a couple of projects I've worked on the last few days:

Problem 1: I got a new, pretty light, slim-line camera for Xmas. Naturally, it would lend itself well to hiking, but I didn't have a good way to keep it dry and padded.

Solution: I made a small silnylon stuff sack for the camera, then lined it with fleece. Weighs in at 0.3 oz. Not bad!

Problem 2: I find I need a pillow in a hammock. Call me a wuss, but it just seems like cutting off my own nose to get that comfortable and then stop just short of the finish line I've tried clothing and such, but it's hard to keep it where you want it if it's loose. Plus, I don't always have much clothing with me, especially in warm weather.

Solution: I got the idea from something Thermarest makes. I made a large (flat - no end piece) silnylon stuff sack, then added a piece of fleece to half of the inside. I can put clothes in it and not have them move. I can put a bladder (with or without water) in. Plus, I've got more waterproof storage for the trail. Overall dimensions are 18.5" long by 12" wide. Weighs only 1.9 oz.

Pics:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...er&imageuser=7

Problem 3: Last weekend when I went to Uwharrie NF with Slowhike, I took my Marmot 15* bag with me as an overquilt. Three issues there - way too bulky (packed AND open), heavier than I'd like, and more insulation than I need for moderate temps (down to about 40*).

Solution: After reading Hammock Engineer's DIY instructions for cutting down a sleeping bag, I started looking at this old Slumberjack bag I've had since I was about 10. It's always been a good mid-temp bag (I don't remember the rating), but way too heavy and bulky to pack with. So, I started cutting.

I removed the zipper and hood part (it was a "partial mummy" bag), then trimmed for width. I made the head end ~ 50" wide, tapered to 40" at the waist (I'm kinda skinny), then cut a curve at the foot. I sewed the footbox back up about 15" toward the head.

I've slept under it two nights now, both with low temps just below 50*. I was plenty toasty, and I'm pretty sure I could get down to around 40* with it, maybe lower. It weighs in at 39.2 oz. - not great, but considering that I trimmed 33.3 oz. off of it, not bad. At 2.5 lbs., it's close to a pound lighter than my Marmot and packs a LOT smaller.

Pics:

I also made a set of snakeskins for my BlackCat. Whole thing - tarp, skins, tie-out cords, and yes, A FIGURE 9 GIZMO - weighs 17.7 oz.

If you haven't guessed by now, I made a kinda "bulk trip" to the post office scale. One last thing - I weighed my Just Jeff All In One too - came to 4.4 oz., including two Walmart micro 'biners and a mesh stuff sack.

Just trying to keep busy!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Nice pics and reasoning. I'm glad I am not the only one here who does not sleep nights and fills the time with sewing.

I just finished a stuff sack back pack using Hammock Hangers idea from a WB thread. Weighs in at 1.3 oz for a stuff sack that is 19"x15" with shoulder straps and draw string closure. After looking at your stuff sack with fleece for a pillow, I think I may have to add a piece of fleece to the inside.

What do you have on the horizon? I have a zipper coming next week for a bug bivy for the hammock, another set of sil and netting snake skins, and a gaiter mod.
    Last edited by Coffee; 01-05-2007 at 03:10.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I found out that sewing fleece is NOT terribly easy. Especially when it's sitting on top of a nice, slippery piece of sil The thread and feed dogs tend to stretch the fleece a LOT if you're not really careful.

A couple of tips from my experience - Reducing the top thread tension helps. Biggest suggestion is to use lots and LOTS of pins. I pin almost everything I sew, but I think it may be a necessity here, even for the more experienced seam(sters?). I had to pin about every 1.5" to keep the fleece from stretching. I also ended up using a zigzag stich. The straight stitch tended to pull the fleece more, for some reason.

Next on the agenda? Let's see...

I'm still working out the design details on a gearskin-on-a-frame. Definitely going to try to get that done before the Mt. Rogers trip.

I think I'll make a HH top cover like Headchange's too. And probably a hammock sock via Jeff's instructions. If I have both, I'll have the option of bringing either (or both) hammock(s) at the end of the month.

I'm working on a size/shape for a kitchen bag too. I've given up on including my freezer bag cozy in this kit - it's a weird shape but it works really well and I don't want to change it. I'm trying to figure out the best design for a bag to basically hold several (5?) days' worth of food plus my Snow Creek 700 pot, which has small fuel canister and stove inside.

I'm also playing with a Packa-style poncho design. I don't know if I'd like being as enclosed as a Packa. I like the regular poncho shape because I can do stuff under it - including remove my pack without getting wet. It doesn't look like the Packa has enough room inside for that, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I've been playing with several ideas on this. I'll post something when I get more concrete with it. Probably won't be done before Mt. Rogers.

So what have you got on the back burner?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I am thinking for a back burner (hopefully the first couple weeks in Feb.) will be a second hammock, hammock sock, and bug protection. I want to have back-ups for my homemade gear I am using for my hike with my parents in case I need to replace anything during my thru.

After that I'm not sure. I think my hike may get in the way of my DIY habbit for a while. But when I get back I will have 6 months worth of projects thought out and ready to make.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I'm so jealous...it'll be at least 4-5 years before I can do a thru.

You'll definitely have lots of ideas when you get back. While I like sitting around the house and thinking stuff up - and getting ideas from you guys - I find that the best ideas I get come from actually being out in the woods.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    bb - I can remove my pack with the Packa on. If I undo the pit zips, it feels almost as roomy as a poncho but doesn't flap around as much...I can even undo the pit zips and stick my arms out w/o removing it. Guess it depends on how big your pack is, though.

When I sewed my PeaPod hood, I just flipped it over so the DWR was against the feed dogs, and the foot doesn't stretch the fleece.

For the food bag, why not just put an extra layer of sil on the outside, sized just big enough for your cozy.

Can't wait to see all of these projects. I'm thinking about the HH top cover, too - would be good if you're unsure of the weather...maintain the HH bug protection and still get the warmth retention. As long as I can pull the hammock open enough to see out at night.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I found out that sewing fleece is NOT terribly easy. Especially when it's sitting on top of a nice, slippery piece of sil The thread and feed dogs tend to stretch the fleece a LOT if you're not really careful.

A couple of tips from my experience - Reducing the top thread tension helps. Biggest suggestion is to use lots and LOTS of pins. I pin almost everything I sew, but I think it may be a necessity here, even for the more experienced seam(sters?). I had to pin about every 1.5" to keep the fleece from stretching. I also ended up using a zigzag stich. The straight stitch tended to pull the fleece more, for some reason.

Next on the agenda? Let's see...

I'm still working out the design details on a gearskin-on-a-frame. Definitely going to try to get that done before the Mt. Rogers trip.

I think I'll make a HH top cover like Headchange's too. And probably a hammock sock via Jeff's instructions. If I have both, I'll have the option of bringing either (or both) hammock(s) at the end of the month.

I'm working on a size/shape for a kitchen bag too. I've given up on including my freezer bag cozy in this kit - it's a weird shape but it works really well and I don't want to change it. I'm trying to figure out the best design for a bag to basically hold several (5?) days' worth of food plus my Snow Creek 700 pot, which has small fuel canister and stove inside.

I'm also playing with a Packa-style poncho design. I don't know if I'd like being as enclosed as a Packa. I like the regular poncho shape because I can do stuff under it - including remove my pack without getting wet. It doesn't look like the Packa has enough room inside for that, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I've been playing with several ideas on this. I'll post something when I get more concrete with it. Probably won't be done before Mt. Rogers.

So what have you got on the back burner?
    If you use wax paper when you sew fleece on top then peel it off it want slide maybe this will help plus you can use it on coated sticky stuff later
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good idea. I bet newspaper would work, too.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    I've been kicking around the fleece lining idea lately. This winter, I was using my fleece jacket I sometimes had with me and it was nicer. Does it get gross, though?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Probably, but you can wash it like the rest of your clothes, I would imagine...it's synthetic so it should dry pretty quickly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast