Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirstybear View Post
    New to hammock forums, but looking to do some group hanging. I live in Belpre Ohio (southeast) and we have been hitting all the wayne national trails down here. Perfect for weekend trips. But would like to expand my horizons. Have you guys planned another trip and is it open to anyone?
    Yep, we're open to anyone. The next hang is tentatively set for Mohican State Forest. We always welcome new faces!

Quote Originally Posted by cmplpwilt View Post
    Looks like an awesome time... I am hoping to get some more gear, mainly a tarp, so that I can try my first hang. Any suggestions on a good tarp that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Looking forward to meeting you all sometime. I live up here in Lewis Center if anyone is near me let me know.
    Depending on your budget, the Kelty Noah's tarp is good for year round use, and can usually be had for around $60. If you come to Mohican, you can just use a standard blue wall mart tarp, since there isn't much of a hike in.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Just a little piggyback on USMCStang's report and a few pics.

Woo Buddy on the weather! It sure snuck up on me, I was laying there in the hammock being all lazy watching everyone and posting the forum when I should have been rigging for storm. As it turned out the wind did a near 180 change in direction into my porch mode setup, I had some wind blown rain wet up the underside of my UQ. On any other night that might have been a problem, however, after that frog strangler of a downpour we got sustained high winds through the rest of the night which dried everything out nicely. I don't think anyone really slept till around 4:00am when it settled to a dull roar and cleared off for an amazingly starry sky. Even though we started off the evening in the mid 40's, it dropped to near freezing through the night and the wind was the huge multiplier. I was plenty warm in my 0* incubator and 20* TQ. My only complaint was that I set between trees that were barely far enough apart to fit my cuben tarp and I couldn't use the stretch in the ridgeline to keep the tarp tight and it fluttered all night long and just drove me nuts. I got up a couple times and snugged things up but the winds were just so strong that even the tight parts fluttered like a reed in a saxaphone. Luke was right beside me with his cuben palace and his looked like the most perfect pitch you could ask for but he said his kept him up most of the night also. Oh well, ear plugs I guess.

As an aside (informal gear review) I'm a pretty avid traditional woodworker so I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to handsaws. With that said, I want to admit that I was initially kind of skeptical of the folding saw that Fourdogs offers that is made by his friend Bob but after using USMCStang's saw this weekend I am very impressed; first in the lightness and the excellent quality of the aluminum in the frame, also in the joinery of the pivot points are brass rivoted. In use the saw is wonderfully tensioned so that it sings, the teeth have a modest amount of set but not so much to allow it to wander in the cut and the impulse hardening of the teeth is well up nearly to the gullets. I'm not really a bushcrafter but I do carry a 5oz. folder so I wouldn't consider this saw for my solo hiking but it would definately be a must for any group outing. One possible post purchase DIY mod would be some minor custom shaping of the wood handle to accomodate the heel of the hand and to add some adhesive backed grip material to the portion of the aluminum frame where your hand wraps around the saw. This would encourage better technique of gripping the saw lightly with the last fingers rather than the death grip you often see and would be especially helpful when used while wearing gloves. My impression is that this saw would really hold up well for years of use.

David
    Last edited by Bannerstone; 03-05-2012 at 12:21.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    A few pics to go along with Mike's.

David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    hg tq hg uq
    Suspension
    Buckles webbing

Tarp.

If weight is not a concern, the Noah 9 by Kelty is not a bad tarp at all. It is just under a pound and a half, several tie out points, comes with four figure nines and guy lines. I would recommend getting a full ridge line though for ease of set-up.
    If a tree falls in the woods and it lands on mime, does anyone care?
    Gary Lawson

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Everyone has summed it up pretty much.

My two younger brothers had a blast (and did not get blown away the first night ).

The Bob's saw, like Bannerstone mentioned, was definitely the star of the weekend. I'm no expert, but any backcountry saw I've used before did not even compare with the quality, feel, or performance of this thing.

Stayed warm and dry. Got to test out some new gear. Great fireside conversations.

Looking forward to the next outing.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    I'm wondering if that was what was down at the bottom of the hill where Dakota and I had our hammocks last time or if down the other side?
    It was evidently 50-100 yards down the path where you guys were (I didn't head down with the guys but they said it was in that general direction).

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Traveler
    Tarp
    OES Custom 12 x 10
    Insulation
    Custom Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing...for now
    Looks like a great time! So sorry I had to miss it Maybe I'll see y'all in April...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by moe.z View Post
    Looks like a great time! So sorry I had to miss it Maybe I'll see y'all in April...
    Congratulations Moe.z!

David (shamless drive by)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mighty fine briefing!!!!
    "Breakfast from the Hammock"........Whooooo Buddy!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Traveler
    Tarp
    OES Custom 12 x 10
    Insulation
    Custom Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing...for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    Congratulations Moe.z!