Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

First Test of New Cotton Hammock Sock Made From Drop Cloth

Last night I tested my new cotton hammock sock at 5 deg. above zero. It was a huge success, as I stayed toasty warm with minimal condensation inside the sock. I weighed the sock and it comes in at 2.5 lbs. Not lightweight, but certainly light enough to carry and no weight for stakes or a tarp.

Another advantage is the ground is frozen like a rock here, so I didn't have to deal with staking a tarp.

For insulation from the outside, in: 1. The sock; 2. My new down 0 deg. quilt from Enlightened Equipment; 3. My new peapod made from a 0 deg. rated synthetic sleeping bag. 4. The hammock; 5. Reflectix pad with shoulder wings. Total weight came to 9lb. 14 oz.

I wore wool long underwear top and bottom. Wool pants and wool sweater. Down pants and down booties with wool socks. Synthetic anorak with hood and coyote fur ruff. Synthetic hat.

Unlike the Frozen Cheesehead Hang earlier this year, I stayed nice and warm. Both my feet and shoulders were warm, and I think the peapod was warmer than the down under and over quilts that I used at the Cheesehead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rbinhood; 03-04-2012 at 18:32.

Images
    Now that's a thing of beauty. Nicely done.

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Pea Pod Made From Synthetic Sleeping Bag

Along with my new cotton sock, I got a chance to test my new peapod made from a cheap synthetic sleeping bag. The bag is a 0 deg. rated Ledge sleeping bag that I picked up from Overstock.com for $35.00. I got a wide, long bag so I would have room to move inside.

I cut a hole at the bottom of the footbox about 4" long through both inside and outside covering, and sewed both inside and outside covers together and reinforced the hole with ribbon and then sewed velcro over the ribbon so I could close it.

The bag already had two loops at the bottom, but I added two more at the top on each side. I attach shock cord to the loops and use that to hold the bag stretched out.

I found the peapod bag to be warmer than a down underquilt. It seems to hug the bottom of the hammock better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts